Illegal Characters in Alias Error Message
Author Message
 Illegal Characters in Alias Error Message

I have a large database file .dbf which I pull down from a mainframe.
When I try to look at my database through my database utility I get the
error message "Illegal Characters in Alias" error message.  I can open
the database through Excel or Notepad but unfortunately the number of
records is over 80,000 so I can not just re-format in Excel and save as
a .dbf to re-open.

Any suggestions on what to look at or what I am doing wrong.

       my employer, Merck & Co., Inc.  All responsibility for the statements
       sender.

Tue, 04 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Illegal Characters in Alias Error Message

On Fri, 16 Jan 1998 10:56:26 -0500, FirstName LastName

Quote:

>I have a large database file .dbf which I pull down from a mainframe.
>When I try to look at my database through my database utility I get the
>error message "Illegal Characters in Alias" error message.  I can open
>the database through Excel or Notepad but unfortunately the number of
>records is over 80,000 so I can not just re-format in Excel and save as
>a .dbf to re-open.

>Any suggestions on what to look at or what I am doing wrong.

Rename the file to remove the illegal characters. $ are not allowed,
and I believe that aliases can't start with a numeric. Also, single
character filenames can cause problems, like A.DBF.

Use alphabet characters only of a width greater than one and it will
open just fine.

---

             WWW  http://www.iag.net/~philb/
      WWW Mirror  http://www.enterconnex.com/oasis/
        FTP Site  ftp://ftp.iag.net/pub/clipper

      I'd rather write code that writes code than write code!

Wed, 05 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Illegal Character in Alias

2. Illegal characters in alias

3. illegal operation: error message is labview caused page fault in labview.exe at 015f:008ad23a

4. No error message despite illegal code

5. Illegal Aliases

6. Illegal character in numeric field.

7. CHARACTER Function Useage Legal/Illegal?

8. illegal character

9. ftnchek illegal character bug?

10. tclsoap illegal characters

11. Character Assignments to Double Precision Variables are Illegal

12. Character Assignments to Double Precision Varables are Illegal