S87 running w/Win 95 problems?
Author Message
 S87 running w/Win 95 problems?

I need some help from the Clipper community.  I am supporting some applications
that were written in Summer '87 code, using the UI2 code generator - in other
words, really inefficiently written S87 code that requires an immensely bloated
memory footprint and a couple of sleight of hand tricks just to keep running.

After unsuccessfully trying to get management approval to spend the money on
upgrading this software, at least to CA-Clipper 5.x level, I've taken the Y2K
and "it'll have problems running under Windows 95" tacks.  Y2K has helped get a
lot of brand new hardware ordered to replace 286 and 386 machines that
should've been replaced ages ago, and it's all coming with Win95 on it.

My hope is that there's a web site out there from someone who has done some
research into the problems associated with running S87 applications from Win95
in a DOS window.  If anyone knows of such a place, or placeS, I'd appreciate a
point in the right direction.  I'd really love some ammunition to help upgrade
these applications to Visual FoxPro or something that is more native to Win95.
I don't look forward to trying to make these run as they are.

- Rich Diakun

Sun, 15 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 S87 running w/Win 95 problems?

Quote:
>I need some help from the Clipper community.  I am supporting some applications
>that were written in Summer '87 code, using the UI2 code generator - in other
>words, really inefficiently written S87 code that requires an immensely bloated
>memory footprint and a couple of sleight of hand tricks just to keep running.

>After unsuccessfully trying to get management approval to spend the money on
>upgrading this software, at least to CA-Clipper 5.x level, I've taken the Y2K
>and "it'll have problems running under Windows 95" tacks.  Y2K has helped get a
>lot of brand new hardware ordered to replace 286 and 386 machines that
>should've been replaced ages ago, and it's all coming with Win95 on it.

>My hope is that there's a web site out there from someone who has done some
>research into the problems associated with running S87 applications from Win95
>in a DOS window.  If anyone knows of such a place, or placeS, I'd appreciate a
>point in the right direction.  I'd really love some ammunition to help upgrade
>these applications to Visual FoxPro or something that is more native to Win95.
>I don't look forward to trying to make these run as they are.

Two problems. The first one is easy. Relink all of your applications
with Blinker in protected mode, and your software will run just fine
under windows, with a caveat. DOS programs tend to suck the life out
of windows unless you do some things to allow them to release
timeslices. There are some generic ways to do this that don't require
heavy code manipulation, but experience dictates that you need to
replace INKEY() with something much more effective at returning unused
timeslices.

The Y2K problem is a whole 'nuther problem, and could range from 'no
big deal' to 'hopelessly broken'. Nobody can determine this without
looking at the application and source code. There is some code on my
www site which allows you to perform windowing on data input. That
alone, or alternately with SET CENTURY ON, you will probably be OK
with respect to Y2K. SET CENTURY ON may require you to tweak screen
displays and report columns.

Take a look at my www page and follow the Year 2000 links.

--

        Oasis WWW  http://www.iag.net/~philb/
 Oasis WWW Mirror  http://www.enterconnex.com/oasis/

      Everything that is really great and inspiring is
      created by individuals who can labor in freedom.

                                     Albert Einstein

Mon, 16 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 S87 running w/Win 95 problems?

Hi Rich,

I have a couple of legacy S'87 applications running quite well under
win95, but your experience could be considerably different from mine.
I've never used UI2.

Ask your questions here, or go and visit the Oasis website run by Phil
Barnett and follow his Y2K link.

Regards,

Ross McKenzie
ValuSoft
Melbourne Australia

Quote:

> I need some help from the Clipper community.  I am supporting some applications
> that were written in Summer '87 code, using the UI2 code generator - in other
> words, really inefficiently written S87 code that requires an immensely bloated
> memory footprint and a couple of sleight of hand tricks just to keep running.

> After unsuccessfully trying to get management approval to spend the money on
> upgrading this software, at least to CA-Clipper 5.x level, I've taken the Y2K
> and "it'll have problems running under Windows 95" tacks.  Y2K has helped get a
> lot of brand new hardware ordered to replace 286 and 386 machines that
> should've been replaced ages ago, and it's all coming with Win95 on it.

> My hope is that there's a web site out there from someone who has done some
> research into the problems associated with running S87 applications from Win95
> in a DOS window.  If anyone knows of such a place, or placeS, I'd appreciate a
> point in the right direction.  I'd really love some ammunition to help upgrade
> these applications to Visual FoxPro or something that is more native to Win95.
> I don't look forward to trying to make these run as they are.

> - Rich Diakun

Mon, 16 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 S87 running w/Win 95 problems?

Why not upgrading to fivewin ... you'll need to make all screens and
reports , a little change to dbf handling is recomended , the menus you
may right using Borland REsource Editor and make some changes to the prg
, the task may look big but it isn't

Quote:

--
Jorge E.Hime Somers
Jorge Somers Software & Hardware

ATENCAO: NAO PERCA !!!
        ROTEADORES PARA INTER/INTRA/EXTRANET:
                Visite-nos em HTTP://WWW.NET-ROUTERS.COM.BR

        INTRANET:
                Temos a solu??o para sua INTRANET.
                Configura??o de Web Server.
                Desenvolvimento de software especfico.
                Integra??o de suas bases de dados na Inter/IntraNet

Mon, 16 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 S87 running w/Win 95 problems?

--> I'd really love some ammunition to help upgrade
--> these applications to Visual FoxPro or something that is more native to Win95.
--> I don't look forward to trying to make these run as they are.
-->
We have a couple of hundred users running S87 applications under both
Windows95 and WindowsNT with no problems.

If you are thinking of upgrading your current applications to Clipper
5.3, you should consider using XBASE++ instead.  XBASE++ would give you
the most leverage to Windows.  Also, I personally use and would highly
recommend Delphi 3 over the other Windows dBASE development platforms
like VO, Visual FoxPro, and Visual dBASE.  At one time I would have
recommended Visual dBASE, but Delphi is so much better.  Most of the well
known Clipper developers like Rick Spence, Greg Leif, John Kastner, etc.
are now primarily involved in Delphi training and/or development.
--
Jim Fitzgerald - ENVIROGENICS Software Company
Delphi/Visual dBASE/Clipper Development

Support the anti-Spam amendment - Join at http://www.cauce.org/

Wed, 18 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 S87 running w/Win 95 problems?

: Why not upgrading to fivewin ... you'll need to make all screens and

All these discussions about upgrading to fivewin wetted my apetite. What
beast is this, and, most important, how and where to get it?

--
         *** Learn Esperanto - the International Language! ***
One language for all           |      Unu por chiuj,

Fri, 20 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 S87 running w/Win 95 problems?

goto www.fivetech.com

Quote:

>: Why not upgrading to fivewin ... you'll need to make all screens and

>All these discussions about upgrading to fivewin wetted my apetite. What
>beast is this, and, most important, how and where to get it?

>--
>         *** Learn Esperanto - the International Language! ***
>One language for all           |      Unu por chiuj,
>the second for everyone!       |     la dua por chiu!

Sat, 21 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 S87 running w/Win 95 problems?

Quote:

> If you are thinking of upgrading your current applications to Clipper
> 5.3, you should consider using XBASE++ instead.  XBASE++ would give you
> the most leverage to Windows.  Also, I personally use and would highly
> recommend Delphi 3 over the other Windows dBASE development platforms
> like VO, Visual FoxPro, and Visual dBASE.  At one time I would have
> recommended Visual dBASE, but Delphi is so much better.

Ok for example, how do you import or export database into your Delphi
program. Like in most xBASE languages you use the APPEND FROM......
APPEND TO...... commands. Delphi has SOME database features, but not
enough. In my book a questionable replacement for xBASE.

Quote:
> Most of the well
> known Clipper developers like Rick Spence, Greg Leif, John Kastner, etc.
> are now primarily involved in Delphi training and/or development.

And they will switch to whatever else comes along that is lucrative
(profitable.)

 ;-)

Sun, 05 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 S87 running w/Win 95 problems?

Quote:
> Ok for example, how do you import or export database into your Delphi
> program. Like in most xBASE languages you use the APPEND FROM......
> APPEND TO...... commands. Delphi has SOME database features, but not
> enough. In my book a questionable replacement for xBASE.

Delphi has a fairly powerful component called a TBatchMove which allows you to
perform APPEND FROM types of operations. The beautiful thing is that it does
way more than any xBase implementation ever did. It works with DBF files,
Paradox tables, ODBC data sources, Oracle, SQL Server, flat ASCII files, and
most of the time requires almost no extra coding aside from plunking the non
visual component on your form, and assigning the source and destination data
sources.

If you need more advanced conversions between field formats, Delphi's
polymorphic TField hierarchy of objects give you the ability to map data
conversions easily between fields.

Delphi's database features via the Borland Database engine go way beyond any
current xBase implementation on a lot of fronts, but mostly the expanded
database coverage for native local database formats (dBAse, Foxpro, Access,
Paradox), ODBC, and client/server DBMS such as Oracle, Interbase, DB2, and SQL
Server.

Quote:
> > Most of the well
> > known Clipper developers like Rick Spence, Greg Leif, John Kastner, etc.
> > are now primarily involved in Delphi training and/or development.

> And they will switch to whatever else comes along that is lucrative
> (profitable.)

Wouldn't you as well?  If you see a long term cash-cow starting to reduce it's
milk-flow, do you keep squeezing the cow, or put it out to pasture and get
more cows?

Clipper and related xBase tools were what I built my consulting business on,
and kept me going for years. Over time, however, I realized the longer I
stayed focused on Clipper, the more business opportunity I was missing out on.
I spent the last two years between 1995 and 1997 slowly weening myself off
relying on steady Clipper work, and started working on learning other
products, taking on new client projects in Java, VB, ASP, Delphi,
Powerbuilder, and web development.  I took a bit of an income hit between 1996
and 1997 while I was re-tooling and learning new stuff, but now I find myself
much more marketable on a variety of fronts.

Have I thrown Clipper out the window? No. I still periodically get calls from
clients to make some changes to older Clipper based systems. I make my pitches
to them to rewrite the systems in Delphi or xBase++, but if all they want is
steady maintenance and changes, I will still do it for them.

It's really a simple formula: The more you know, the more billable work you
can get in the door.

Regards,
Darren

Sun, 05 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Problem - Running Dbase/Clipper Indexing on a Pentium in Win 95

2. Running S87 App in Windows 95

3. Clipper S87 & Windows 95 Memory Problems

4. CLIPPER S87 AND WINDOWS 95 PROBLEM ?

5. Running CPD 2.1 DOS under WIN 95

6. Cannot SHUT DOWN Win 95 when Clarion App is running

7. Running Clipper 5.3 Apps Under Win 95

8. Running Clipper application in win 95 network

9. MIT Scheme 7.4 wont run on Win 95

10. Win 95, PWS, Unable to run python

11. Running FORTRAN 5.1 in Win 95

12. Problem with the RUN command in Clipper S87