Clipper+W95 Wkstn+NT svr = ERROR
Author Message
 Clipper+W95 Wkstn+NT svr = ERROR

This is just too weird.  Our Clipper 5.2/Blinker 3.x app opens
some humongous amount of file handles at once (upwards of 110),
but as long as customer has FILES= set up right, it's run just
fine for several years under '95 networks, Netware 3.x and 4.x,
and LANtastic.

Now this guy has four '95 RevB workstations and NT 4.0 server,
and he gets "cannot open file" errors when he runs one of our
more file-handle-abusive reports.  No, I can't give you a more
detailed error message because our elaborate error-trapping
functions will catch any file IO problem and retry numerous
times, finally returning a simple .f. if it cannot open the
requested file.  So the end result is, he can't open the files
necessary for this report, let's call it the Detail report,
in shared mode.

I had him tinker with CONFIG.SYS until his fingers were sore; I
had him tinker with the shortcut properties; I had him run it
locally on C: (it works fine there).  Yes, the application has
//F255 burned into the EXE through Blinker.  No matter what, it
just won't open those blasted files...  I should also mention
that we ran a file-handle-testing utility (creates and opens
"FOOBAR.001", "FOOBAR.002" etc. until it gets DOS error 4) and
he's able to open 183 files on the network drive from this
malfunctioning workstation.  So it's not a simple FILES= problem.

Until he ran the Summary equivalent of the Detail report.  This
one only opens about 16 files (including DBF and CDX) at once,
and it runs fine, closes the DBFs that it opened, and from then
on he can run any report he wants to without getting an error
message.

I double-checked, and I'm positive that nothing opened by the
Summary report is still open when he runs the Detail report -
it has to reopen those 16 files plus another dozen or so.

WHY would it fail to open the files unless he runs one other
report first?

To make matters worse, he only has this problem on two of the
four workstations.  He swears by his mother's CD-ROM that all
four workstations have identical hardware, and the hard disks
of three of them are cloned from the hard disk of the first,
ensuring that the drivers, config files, etc. are identical.

Please, please somebody make sense out of all this before I
lose my coveted "Network genius who can solve all Clipper
problems" title.

---------
If you reply by email, use pbs002 at hotmail dot com.  All
adverti{*filter*}ts will be returned with complaints to your postmaster,

Sat, 25 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper+W95 Wkstn+NT svr = ERROR

Quote:
> more file-handle-abusive reports.  No, I can't give you a more
> detailed error message because our elaborate error-trapping
> functions will catch any file IO problem and retry numerous
> times, finally returning a simple .f. if it cannot open the
> requested file.

You might wanna try using a (less elaborate ?) error-trapping function that
_does_ given more information.

Anne.

Sun, 26 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Clipper and NT Wkstn

2. Clipper program running on nT-server and W95/98 workstations

3. Win NT server, W95, Clipper Printing

4. error on MAKE.EXE - CLIPPER S87 on W98 OR W95

5. 5305 Error, W95+Clipper 5.2e

6. Problems running program from Clipper workbench under NT/ Error DBG0100

7. Clipper and NT 4 workstation - errors

8. CLipper 5.2: Run-time Error R6003 - div by 0 under WIN NT 4.0

9. Windows NT, Clipper, DOS Error 55

10. Problem Clipper 5.x under NT causing RUNTIME error 6003 Divide by zero

11. Clipper 5.3 on Windows NT Workstation Error!?

12. Clipper on NT workstation -- DOS 4 error