Barcode input question
Author Message
 Barcode input question

Hello,

I have an application that I am writing that runs on a portable barcode
scanning terminal.   The software runs on Telnet sessions over an RF link to
a central server.  The application is used for inventory control.

My problem is that the barcode reader on the scanner cannot be set to append
carriage returns to the end of its data strings.  This is a major P.I.T.A.
to the users since it forces them to hit the ENTER key on the terminal every
time they scan a barcode. This problem would be trivial except that the
client uses a couple of different barcode formats which differ in length, so
a PICTURE clause on my GETS will not work.

Has anyone else run into this problem before?   How did you get around it?

--
Dave Holden
Holden Consulting

Sun, 24 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Barcode input question
Dave,

1. Replace scanner with model that allows CR to be appended

2.  Modify get system to attach CR about  1/2 second after first character
      is entered in the get. Adjust the time accordingly.

Quote:

> Hello,

> I have an application that I am writing that runs on a portable barcode
> scanning terminal.   The software runs on Telnet sessions over an RF link to
> a central server.  The application is used for inventory control.

> My problem is that the barcode reader on the scanner cannot be set to append
> carriage returns to the end of its data strings.  This is a major P.I.T.A.
> to the users since it forces them to hit the ENTER key on the terminal every
> time they scan a barcode. This problem would be trivial except that the
> client uses a couple of different barcode formats which differ in length, so
> a PICTURE clause on my GETS will not work.

> Has anyone else run into this problem before?   How did you get around it?

> --
> Dave Holden
> Holden Consulting
> Abbotsford, BC, Canada

Sun, 24 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Barcode input question
Don't use a wedge scanner, rather use a serial scanner and wait for input in
a loop - the same look where you're looking for keystrokes in the get
perhaps.  When you receive a bar code on the serial side - process it the
same way as you do when you get a bar code on the keyboard get side.  You
can write your processing routine to be called from either a serial trigger
or from a get termination.

Quote:
> Hello,

> I have an application that I am writing that runs on a portable barcode
> scanning terminal.   The software runs on Telnet sessions over an RF link
> a central server.  The application is used for inventory control.

> My problem is that the barcode reader on the scanner cannot be set to
append
> carriage returns to the end of its data strings.  This is a major P.I.T.A.
> to the users since it forces them to hit the ENTER key on the terminal
every
> time they scan a barcode. This problem would be trivial except that the
> client uses a couple of different barcode formats which differ in length,
so
> a PICTURE clause on my GETS will not work.

> Has anyone else run into this problem before?   How did you get around it?

> --
> Dave Holden
> Holden Consulting
> Abbotsford, BC, Canada

Sun, 24 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Barcode input question
You could do three things. The first is to purchase a bar code scanner
that can append a Carriage Return to the end of every scan and get rid
of the ones that you are using now that cannot. Another solution would
be to put a carriage return character in all your bar codes if the bar
code symbology that you are using supports it.
You could print a second bar code encoded with a single carriage
return in it and then tell the user to read the carriage return bar
code after all other bar codes.
I'm very surprised that the scanner that you have now does not provide
that capability. I have never seen a scanner that does not allow you
to configure it to send a carriage return after each scan.

For more bar code solutions visit http://www.taltech.com

On Wed, 08 Sep 1999 04:36:58 GMT, "Dave Holden"

Quote:

>Hello,

>I have an application that I am writing that runs on a portable barcode
>scanning terminal.   The software runs on Telnet sessions over an RF link to
>a central server.  The application is used for inventory control.

>My problem is that the barcode reader on the scanner cannot be set to append
>carriage returns to the end of its data strings.  This is a major P.I.T.A.
>to the users since it forces them to hit the ENTER key on the terminal every
>time they scan a barcode. This problem would be trivial except that the
>client uses a couple of different barcode formats which differ in length, so
>a PICTURE clause on my GETS will not work.

>Has anyone else run into this problem before?   How did you get around it?

Sat, 02 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. What Barcode Type for Store Made Barcodes?

2. Barcode fonts and barcode generators.

3. Mabry Barcode questions

4. Barcode Question

5. Barcode question

6. SAVE-INPUT RESTORE-INPUT

7. SAVE-INPUT and RESTORE-INPUT

8. Input File Size Limitations - Newbie question

9. standard input and output question

10. Speach Input Question

11. Need input on this question!

12. Serious question: Block versus Sequential input