Reading Visual FoxPro 6.0 files
Author Message
 Reading Visual FoxPro 6.0 files

Hello all,

I'm transferring data between my Clipper 5.2e app and a Visual FoxPro
6.0 app.  I am unable to read the DBF/CDX/FPT files they are sending
me.  My app dies with "Corruption detected" error message.  dbMax
refuses to open it.

One of their programmers says this version of VFP is using "database
containers - DBCs".  He also says that (take it with a grain of salt)
that the only difference is in the header.

Using a hex editor and .DBF layouts from http://www.*-*-*.com/ (thank
you very much!) I looked at the first 32 bytes of the header.  There
are 3 bytes in the file they sent that jump out at me:

byte 00H  value: 30H  Signature byte
byte 1cH  value: 03H  MDX/CDX flag
byte 1dH  value: 03H  Language Driver

Using dbMax, and the SIXCDX RDD, I created a test file.  Those same
three bytes were:

byte 00H  value: F5H
byte 1cH  value: 00H
byte 1dH  value: 00H

I tried changing the three bytes in the problem database to match the
three bytes in the test database I created.  I then tried to open it
with dbMax - it bombs with a "Corruption detected" error message.

So - the questions are:
Can I modify a few bytes and be able to read them?
If so, which bytes?

Thanks for any help...

Gary Crockett

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Wed, 04 Jun 2003 01:03:38 GMT
 Reading Visual FoxPro 6.0 files
Gary,
> I'm transferring data between my Clipper 5.2e app and a Visual FoxPro
> 6.0 app.  I am unable to read the DBF/CDX/FPT files they are sending
> me.  My app dies with "Corruption detected" error message.  dbMax
> refuses to open it.

Try checking:
1) In wich "version" the FoxPro files are being saved - The native
Clipper DBFCDX RDD "understands" FoxPro 2.5 files (Clipper 5.3/VO are
compatible with FP 2.6);
2) The MemoBlock size - If I recall correctly, Clipper 5.2 uses 512
bytes; set this same size in the FoxPro app (in Clipper 5.3/VO you can
set the blocksize);
3) If the FoxPro files have a "special" codepage setting;

HTH,
--
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
Marcos Nogueira

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Wed, 04 Jun 2003 04:42:49 GMT
 Reading Visual FoxPro 6.0 files
I program in both VFP 6 and Clipper so I can assist you.  The dbf's are
incompatible but in VFP you can do a:

copy all to myfile FoxPlus

or this one:

copy all to myfile FoxBase

which will convert it to the old style "dBase" format.

Quote:
>Subject: Re: Reading Visual FoxPro 6.0 files

>Date: 12/15/2000 12:42 PM Pacific Standard Time

>Gary,
>> I'm transferring data between my Clipper 5.2e app and a Visual FoxPro
>> 6.0 app.  I am unable to read the DBF/CDX/FPT files they are sending
>> me.  My app dies with "Corruption detected" error message.  dbMax
>> refuses to open it.
>Try checking:
>1) In wich "version" the FoxPro files are being saved - The native
>Clipper DBFCDX RDD "understands" FoxPro 2.5 files (Clipper 5.3/VO are
>compatible with FP 2.6);
>2) The MemoBlock size - If I recall correctly, Clipper 5.2 uses 512
>bytes; set this same size in the FoxPro app (in Clipper 5.3/VO you can
>set the blocksize);
>3) If the FoxPro files have a "special" codepage setting;

>HTH,
>--
>Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
>Marcos Nogueira
>S. Paulo - Brazil

>Sent via Deja.com
>http://www.deja.com/

Mike

Wed, 04 Jun 2003 15:07:20 GMT

1. Reading Visual foxpro file format

2. Visual foxpro 6.0 and clipper 5.3b compatability

3. visual foxpro 6.0

4. Visual FoxPro read Clarion DLLs

5. Visual FoxPro reading Clarion dlls

6. Reading Foxpro Memo Fields using Foxpro driver

7. Visual C++ 6.0/DVF 6.0 linking problem

8. VISUAL FOXPRO 3.0 Disk17 (file vfp17.cad) destroyed

9. Visual FoxPro 5.0 with MDB file

10. Visual Foxpro to Acucobol Files

11. Error reading Foxpro file