Clipper on Win'98 peer-to-peer Networks
Author Message
 Clipper on Win'98 peer-to-peer Networks

Using a Win98 SE peer-to-peer Network with Clipper87 + 5.x.

Using Explorer I dragged the .exe file residing on workstation (A) to
create a shortcut to it on another workstation (B).

However on dbl-clicking the shortcut on workstation B the clipper exe
file starts-up but refuses to open any dbfs from A.

I examined the properties of the shortcut. They point to
\\COMPUTERNAME\FOLDER NAME\exe file. I havent physically typed the
shortcut, so there are obviously no typos (especially as the exe does
start). The working directory points to  \\COMPUTER NAME\FOLDER NAME.

Config.sys of all Win98 workstations: files=50, buffers=15
Autoexec.bat of all Win98 workstations: set clipper=f30;e000

Pls note my clipper app does not open more than 10 to 12 files and has
been working on Novel 3.11 + stand-alone systems for more than 10 yrs.

OK now heres the baffling part:  On a Win98 workstation I map the
drive holding the exe file+dbfs to any other drive letter U,V,M, etc. &
lo & behold the package works smoothly. My clipper packages are not
looking for any particular drive so why doesnt it work under a regular
shortcut created by Win98 ?  Am I overlooking something very basic
here ??

Any help would be appreciated !

TIA
Prakash

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Sun, 04 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper on Win'98 peer-to-peer Networks
Prakash

Map your data directory to the WS and point the 'start in folder' to the
mapped drive.
ie
Copy the exe to your local drive
Map \\COMPUTERNAME\FOLDER NAME to S:
Change the \\COMPUTERNAME\FOLDER NAME to 'S:\' in the .exes local copy
shortcut

Clipper apps know nothing about UNC paths.
--
HTH
Steve Quinn

Quote:
> Using a Win98 SE peer-to-peer Network with Clipper87 + 5.x.

> Using Explorer I dragged the .exe file residing on workstation (A) to
> create a shortcut to it on another workstation (B).

> However on dbl-clicking the shortcut on workstation B the clipper exe
> file starts-up but refuses to open any dbfs from A.

> I examined the properties of the shortcut. They point to
> \\COMPUTERNAME\FOLDER NAME\exe file. I havent physically typed the
> shortcut, so there are obviously no typos (especially as the exe does
> start). The working directory points to  \\COMPUTER NAME\FOLDER NAME.

> Config.sys of all Win98 workstations: files=50, buffers=15
> Autoexec.bat of all Win98 workstations: set clipper=f30;e000

> Pls note my clipper app does not open more than 10 to 12 files and has
> been working on Novel 3.11 + stand-alone systems for more than 10 yrs.

> OK now heres the baffling part:  On a Win98 workstation I map the
> drive holding the exe file+dbfs to any other drive letter U,V,M, etc. &
> lo & behold the package works smoothly. My clipper packages are not
> looking for any particular drive so why doesnt it work under a regular
> shortcut created by Win98 ?  Am I overlooking something very basic
> here ??

> Any help would be appreciated !

> TIA
> Prakash

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sun, 04 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper on Win'98 peer-to-peer Networks

Quote:
>Using a Win98 SE peer-to-peer Network with Clipper87 + 5.x.

>Using Explorer I dragged the .exe file residing on workstation (A) to
>create a shortcut to it on another workstation (B).

>However on dbl-clicking the shortcut on workstation B the clipper exe
>file starts-up but refuses to open any dbfs from A.

>I examined the properties of the shortcut. They point to
>\\COMPUTERNAME\FOLDER NAME\exe file. I havent physically typed the
>shortcut, so there are obviously no typos (especially as the exe does
>start). The working directory points to  \\COMPUTER NAME\FOLDER NAME.

>Config.sys of all Win98 workstations: files=50, buffers=15
>Autoexec.bat of all Win98 workstations: set clipper=f30;e000

>Pls note my clipper app does not open more than 10 to 12 files and has
>been working on Novel 3.11 + stand-alone systems for more than 10 yrs.

>OK now heres the baffling part:  On a Win98 workstation I map the
>drive holding the exe file+dbfs to any other drive letter U,V,M, etc. &
>lo & behold the package works smoothly. My clipper packages are not
>looking for any particular drive so why doesnt it work under a regular
>shortcut created by Win98 ?  Am I overlooking something very basic
>here ??

That's the answer you need to map the drive the program properties on
the short cut must be mapped to a drive. \\computer\folder does not
work.

Quote:

--
David C.M. Llewellyn
Elmtree Technics Computer Consultancy

http://www.elmtree-technics.co.uk
Voice: +44 (0)1366 501502
Fax:   +44 (0)1366 501112

Sun, 04 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper on Win'98 peer-to-peer Networks
Thx David ! (and Stephen) for yr replies !

Your confirmation/s were very re-assuring to me.

Rgds,
Prakash

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Mon, 05 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Printing to a particular printer on Win'98 peer-to-peer Networks

2. Win 95 Peer to Peer Network

3. Win 95 Peer to Peer Network (Summary)

4. Clipper 5.2e app and peer-to-peer Novell network

5. Windows 98 Peer to Peer

6. CPD 2: networking Windows98 peer-to-peer

7. Win95 peer-to-peer networks

8. Problem in peer-to-peer network

9. Dos Error 55 on Windows 95 Peer-Peer Network

10. Bargain peer-to-peer network

11. Server speed on peer to peer network

12. Advice needed: peer-to-peer network