Clipper 5.2e --> Clipper 5.3b
Author Message
 Clipper 5.2e --> Clipper 5.3b

He would like to know if it is worth  to convert my programs that I use with
Clipper 5.2e for Clipper 5.3b?

Did I hear to say that the 5.3 are weighed and does he/she have some bugs?

Today Work with Clipper 5.2e - Clipper Tools 3c - Blinker 5.10

He would like suggestions

Tue, 11 May 2004 08:21:58 GMT
 Clipper 5.2e --> Clipper 5.3b
I have no experience with 5.2..... I went straight from Summer (?) to 5.3.
Certainly 5.3a had some problems, but since applying the patches I find it to be
very stable, and have been using it for several years now. One nice thing you
get with 5.3 is the LightLib graphics package, which is great. I do 99% of my
programming in graphics mode....
Quote:

> He would like to know if it is worth  to convert my programs that I use with
> Clipper 5.2e for Clipper 5.3b?

> Did I hear to say that the 5.3 are weighed and does he/she have some bugs?

> Today Work with Clipper 5.2e - Clipper Tools 3c - Blinker 5.10

> He would like suggestions

Tue, 11 May 2004 09:49:57 GMT
 Clipper 5.2e --> Clipper 5.3b

Quote:
> He would like to know if it is worth  to convert my programs that I use with
> Clipper 5.2e for Clipper 5.3b?

In an attempt to answer this question I reviewed various Clipper
related lists, this newsgroup, old Compuserve postings, spoke to
developers who had lots of experience with both compilers. The answer
I came up with is that 5.3b fixes some problems in 5.2e but has a few
new fairly obscure bugs. The overall consensus is that both compilers
are very stable with 5.2e being somewhat more stable overall.

Karl

Tue, 11 May 2004 21:01:46 GMT
 Clipper 5.2e --> Clipper 5.3b
The most important question about Clipper 5.3b is not about bugs. 5.3b is
stable.

5.3 supports a mouse (you only have to add a few lines at startup) and has a
workbench in VO-1-style. You can easily work without the workbench, if you
don't like it.

What is more important: what are you going to do if you have to re-write
your application for Windows? I suggest Visual Objects.

Kind regards
Turan Fettahoglu

Fri, 14 May 2004 05:00:07 GMT
 Clipper 5.2e --> Clipper 5.3b

Quote:

> He would like to know if it is worth  to convert my programs that I use with
> Clipper 5.2e for Clipper 5.3b?

> Did I hear to say that the 5.3 are weighed and does he/she have some bugs?

> Today Work with Clipper 5.2e - Clipper Tools 3c - Blinker 5.10

> He would like suggestions

My experience is that C53b is much more stable and solid than 5.2e BUT
AFTER I DELETED ALL the 3P libraries I used ( under DOS I kept only
Davep oslib for NT CPU usage and FiveTech objects for some custom made
objects ). I still use Blinker 3.3 for both Fivewin and DOS and I
never used Exospace, lightlib, mouse or other 5.3b extensions. I could
recompile everything in 5.2e today.

I did it when it was clear that FiveWin programs where much more
stable compiled in 5.3b than 5.2e due to memory allocation problems.
But since than I found that many strange DBF/CDX errors that I thought
where caused by users or PC locks went away so I moved also my DOS
apps to 5.3b.

I'm sure that other's experience could be different but my experience
says to me that the problems are more in 3P libraries than 5.3b
itself. Probably the move between MSC 5.1 used in 5.2e and the 8.00c
used in 5.3b was a problem for many 3P programmers or simply 5.3 came
out when the interest in Clipper started to fall or that DOS support
of Windows became critical, I don't know but today I'm very happy to
use 5.3b both in DOS and FiveWin.

Regards
Lorenzo Fiorini

Fri, 14 May 2004 18:46:11 GMT
 Clipper 5.2e --> Clipper 5.3b
> He would like to know if it is worth  to convert my programs that I use
with
> Clipper 5.2e for Clipper 5.3b?

Probabily not, but it depends on many factors.

Quote:
> Did I hear to say that the 5.3 are weighed and does he/she have some bugs?

No it doesn't.

Quote:
> Today Work with Clipper 5.2e - Clipper Tools 3c - Blinker 5.10

Then you probabily can compile your app in 5.3b, modify your .LNK according
to the Blinker instructions, link and go.

What you gain with 5.3b...:
- much better order management;
- much better memo handling;
- MSC 8.0 floating point routines;
- faster apps;
- mouse support

... and what you lose:
- time learning 5.3 new features that could be spent on more util stuff
(NET, VO, SQL, etc.);
- new clients.

HTH,

Marcos Nogueira
S. Paulo - Brazil

Fri, 14 May 2004 20:38:12 GMT

1. Clipper 5.2e + SIXCDX or Clipper 5.3b with CDX

2. Clipper...Clipper...Clipper - 5.3b Patch

3. Boolean difference between clipper 5.2e and 5.3b

4. Clipper 5.2e or 5.3b

5. Clipper 5.3b Vs 5.2e

6. clipper 5.2e and 5.3b ?????

7. DOS Clipper 5.2e/5.3b error: Runtime 5302 Conventional memory exhausted

8. Clipper 5.01 and Clipper 5.3b NTX compatibility

9. Clipper 5.3b or similar, the future of Clipper

10. Clipper DLL's using Clipper 5.2e and Blinker 5.10

11. clipper 5.2e -vs- clipper 5.3

12. Clipper 5.2e, Clipper Tools and Novell 5 ???