FAT32
Author Message
 FAT32

A friend of mine, playing expert, says "Low level file I/O with 5.3
corrupts files and directories under Win95".  Now I don't know about
that.  I use file i/o all the time in Win95/FAT16 and WinNT/NTFS with no
known proplems.  Do we know of a problem with Win95/FAT32 ?
--

"All generalities are false, including this one."
            --- Bertrand Russell ---

Sat, 09 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 FAT32

Quote:
>A friend of mine, playing expert, says "Low level file I/O with 5.3
>corrupts files and directories under Win95".  Now I don't know about
>that.  I use file i/o all the time in Win95/FAT16 and WinNT/NTFS with no
>known proplems.  Do we know of a problem with Win95/FAT32 ?

New one on me...

--

             WWW  http://www.iag.net/~philb/
      WWW Mirror  http://www.enterconnex.com/oasis/

      I'd rather write code that writes code than write code!

Sat, 09 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 FAT32

I use FAT32 exclusively on our WIN95 machines, and I'm not corrupting
anythng with my low level code (I do a lot of it!)

:=JHS

Quote:

> A friend of mine, playing expert, says "Low level file I/O with 5.3
> corrupts files and directories under Win95".  Now I don't know about
> that.  I use file i/o all the time in Win95/FAT16 and WinNT/NTFS with no
> known proplems.  Do we know of a problem with Win95/FAT32 ?
> --

> "All generalities are false, including this one."
>             --- Bertrand Russell ---

Sat, 09 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 FAT32

Get the vredir patch from oasis or Microsoft.  It appears that the OSR
releases of Win95 have some I/O problems without the patch.

Sat, 09 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 FAT32

Quote:
> A friend of mine, playing expert, says "Low level file I/O with 5.3
> corrupts files and directories under Win95".  Now I don't know about
> that.  I use file i/o all the time in Win95/FAT16 and WinNT/NTFS with no
> known proplems.  Do we know of a problem with Win95/FAT32 ?

Depends on how low level s/he's doing the I/O.
With normal Fopen()/Fwrite()'s etc there's no problem.

When you write your own DiskEditor though and start rewriting the bootrecord or
FAT's, you might get into trouble :)

Anne.

* What do you want ? An opinion or argument ? *

Sat, 09 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. VW2.5.2 and FAT32

2. FAT32 - WOW SPEED INCREASE

3. Fat32 or NTFS ???

4. Sort directory on FAT32

5. FAT32-FAT16

6. CVT FAT16 to FAT32 Run-time error 6003