Help with Clipper and Six driver
Author Message
 Help with Clipper and Six driver

Hi everybody

I'm putting the Six driver into my Clipper app, with huge results on
the fastness side (I hope it's the right way to say it ;-))

I got a problem, yet, using the SET FILTER optimized by MachSix, having
the results browse not in the order I would.

Do anyone knows the solution?

TIA

--
All these moments will be lost, in time
like tears in the rain. Time to die...

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/

Fri, 28 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Help with Clipper and Six driver

Quote:

> I'm putting the Six driver into my Clipper app, with huge results on
> the fastness side (I hope it's the right way to say it ;-))

Close enough. But next time, use "speed" instead of "fastness".

Quote:
> I got a problem, yet, using the SET FILTER optimized by MachSix, having
> the results browse not in the order I would.

If you need the results in a specific order, then your only solution is to
use an INDEX instead of a FILTER.
--
David G. Holm, Managing Member
Joint Software Development L.L.C

Fri, 28 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Help with Clipper and Six driver

Quote:
> > I got a problem, yet, using the SET FILTER optimized by MachSix, having
> > the results browse not in the order I would.

> If you need the results in a specific order, then your only solution is to
> use an INDEX instead of a FILTER.

Or set a Filter _AND_ a Index.

--
Regards,

Patrick Mast
www.PatrickMast.com

Fri, 28 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Help with Clipper and Six driver

 > I got a problem, yet, using the SET FILTER optimized by MachSix, having
 > the results browse not in the order I would.

Roy,

I've been using SixDriver and MachSix for years - no troubles (well, small
ones, anyway...)  Can you be more specific what troubles you are having?

I am looking forward to helping...

Gary

Sat, 29 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Help with Clipper and Six driver

Quote:

>  > I got a problem, yet, using the SET FILTER optimized by MachSix,
having
>  > the results browse not in the order I would.

> Roy,

> I've been using SixDriver and MachSix for years - no troubles (well,
small
> ones, anyway...)  Can you be more specific what troubles you are
having?

> I am looking forward to helping...

> Gary

I have one dbf to filter, master in a 6 dbfs relation, using a non-
conditional index. The filter contains an expression from all the 6
dbfs, and after the Dbgotop(), on the browse the recs are non ordered...

TIA again :-)

--
All these moments will be lost, in time
like tears in the rain. Time to die...
(Roy Batty 1982)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Sat, 29 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Help with Clipper and Six driver

Quote:

>  > I got a problem, yet, using the SET FILTER optimized by MachSix,
having
>  > the results browse not in the order I would.

> Roy,

> I've been using SixDriver and MachSix for years - no troubles (well,
small
> ones, anyway...)  Can you be more specific what troubles you are
having?

> I am looking forward to helping...

The problem is solved now. But the query is slow...

My situation is:

Main dbf to query, indexed
6 dbf, including keys from the main, relationed with it
the expression contains fields of the 6 ones, fields NOT in their index

Question: I got to create a new index including these fields, or many
indexes, or what?

Thanks for your help :-)

--
All these moments will be lost, in time
like tears in the rain. Time to die...
(Roy Batty 1982)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Sat, 29 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Help with Clipper and Six driver
Roy

Still not enuf info.

Which dbf are you trying to view with the filter??
The Master or one or more of the detail files??

Show us the code your currently using and what the index keys for the
databases are.
eg
Master - Index Key
    Field ->   Detail1 - Index Key
    Field ->   Detail2 - Index Key
    Field ->   Detail3 - Index Key
    Field ->   Detail4 - Index Key

What does the FILTER look like??
Have you tries scoping on each of the Master->Detail links instead of
setting up relations.
eg
Instead of
    USE DETAIL1
    USE DETAIL2
    USE DETAIL3
    USE MASTER
    SET RELATION TO FIELD1 INTO DETAIL1
    SET RELATION TO FIELD2 INTO DETAIL2
    SET RELATION TO FIELD3 INTO DETAIL3

do something like
    USE MASTER
    SET ORDER TO 1 // Main Index key
    USE DETAIL1
    SET ORDER TO 1 // Main Index key
    SET SCOPE TO ( MASTER->FIELD1 )
    DETAIL1->( DBGOTOP() )
    USE DETAIL2
    SET ORDER TO 1 // Main Index key
    SET SCOPE TO ( MASTER->FIELD2 )
    DETAIL2->( DBGOTOP() )
etc...
    SELECT('MASTER')
    MASTER->( DBGOTOP() )

OR are you trying to view the MASTER by setting all the criteria in the
DETAILS and then building a FILTER with this info??
Which is basically the reverse of what I'm showing above.
In that case it may be better to build a temp index instead of using a
filter.

--
HTH
Steve Quinn

How much deeper would the ocean be if sponges didn't grow in it?
Isn't Disney World a people trap operated by a mouse?
Before they invented drawing boards, what did they go back to?
Why are hemorrhoids called "hemorrhoids" instead of asteroids?

Quote:

> >  > I got a problem, yet, using the SET FILTER optimized by MachSix,
> having
> >  > the results browse not in the order I would.

> > Roy,

> > I've been using SixDriver and MachSix for years - no troubles (well,
> small
> > ones, anyway...)  Can you be more specific what troubles you are
> having?

> > I am looking forward to helping...

> > Gary

> I have one dbf to filter, master in a 6 dbfs relation, using a non-
> conditional index. The filter contains an expression from all the 6
> dbfs, and after the Dbgotop(), on the browse the recs are non ordered...

> TIA again :-)

> --
> All these moments will be lost, in time
> like tears in the rain. Time to die...
> (Roy Batty 1982)

Sat, 29 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Help with Clipper and Six driver

Quote:
> Roy

> Still not enuf info.

> Which dbf are you trying to view with the filter??
> The Master or one or more of the detail files??

Master

Quote:

> Show us the code your currently using and what the index keys for the
> databases are.
> eg
> Master - Index Key
>     Field ->   Detail1 - Index Key
>     Field ->   Detail2 - Index Key
>     Field ->   Detail3 - Index Key
>     Field ->   Detail4 - Index Key

Master - MasterID

Detail1 --> index MasterID + fields regarding Detail1
and so on...
Based on DetailX fields, I would filter the master...

Quote:
> What does the FILTER look like??
> Have you tries scoping on each of the Master->Detail links instead of
> setting up relations.

I have a *parameters* window, such as AGE, DATE, ... on fields
regarding DetailX, and then I filter the master according to these
parameters...

Quote:
> OR are you trying to view the MASTER by setting all the criteria in
the
> DETAILS and then building a FILTER with this info??

Something like this! :-)

Quote:
> Which is basically the reverse of what I'm showing above.
> In that case it may be better to build a temp index instead of using a
> filter.

I did it, but is not so fast, Clipper's NTX are few seconds slower...
I used SubNtx, and *Index for...* is slower, but it's not compatible
with nsx :-(

Thanks for your present and future help, if you have any ideas to help
me :-)

PS Comix instead of Six may help me?

--
All these moments will be lost, in time
like tears in the rain. Time to die...
(Roy Batty 1982)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Sat, 29 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Help with Clipper and Six driver
Hi,

By the way, where can I get trial version of Six driver.
Thanks in advance, Igor.

Sat, 29 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Help with Clipper and Six driver
Roy

Try doing a SUBINDEX with SIX3, should be (IMO) the fastest way to FILTER
your data

Don't use RELATIONS for this as it'll only slow you down.
eg
MASTER index is built using
INDEX ON NAME TAG 'PRIMARY'

cName := DETAIL1->NAME
nAge    := DETAIL2->AGE
dDate    := DETAIL3->DATE

SET SCOPE TO ( cName )
SUBINDEX ON NAME FOR AGE == nAge .AND. DATE == dDate TO cTempIndx
MASTER->( DBGOTOP() )
Browse()

Have a look at the samples that come with SIXDRIVER.

--
HTH
Steve Quinn

How much deeper would the ocean be if sponges didn't grow in it?
Isn't Disney World a people trap operated by a mouse?
Before they invented drawing boards, what did they go back to?
Why are hemorrhoids called "hemorrhoids" instead of asteroids?

Sun, 30 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Help with Clipper and Six driver

Quote:
> Roy

> Try doing a SUBINDEX with SIX3, should be (IMO) the fastest way to
FILTER
> your data

> Don't use RELATIONS for this as it'll only slow you down.
> eg
> MASTER index is built using
> INDEX ON NAME TAG 'PRIMARY'

> cName := DETAIL1->NAME
> nAge    := DETAIL2->AGE
> dDate    := DETAIL3->DATE

> SET SCOPE TO ( cName )
> SUBINDEX ON NAME FOR AGE == nAge .AND. DATE == dDate TO cTempIndx
> MASTER->( DBGOTOP() )
> Browse()

> Have a look at the samples that come with SIXDRIVER.

I have a parameters window, and I got to browse only records in master
that match the parameter in detail... So I need the relations, IMHO.

Or not?

--
All these moments will be lost, in time
like tears in the rain. Time to die...
(Roy Batty 1982)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Sun, 30 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Help with Clipper and Six driver
Roy

In which direction are your relations set then??
1>
MASTER->DETAIL1
MASTER->DETAIL2
MASTER->DETAIL3
or
2>
DETAIL1->MASTER
DETAIL2->MASTER
DETAIL3->MASTER

If 1 then I can't see how you can do what you want at all.
    Your trying to make the Tail(s) wag the Dog, as the MASTER has control
not the DETAIL files

If 2 then - l can't see it happening here either??

Another suggestion
Have you tried using the FAST TEXT SEARCH (Hyper functions) that's built
into SIXDRIVER V3??

In your parameters window you select the criteria that you need from each of
the DETAIL files.
Build a string from these and search the MASTER then browse the results.
NO RELATIONS INVOLVED either

Using these routines I can find a single record from 72000+ in under 1
second.

If you go to my website http://www.brutecom.com.au and d/l the GEC demo you
can see these routines in action (39000+ records in the demo) (MAIN Price
List database)

--
HTH
Steve Quinn

How much deeper would the ocean be if sponges didn't grow in it?
Isn't Disney World a people trap operated by a mouse?
Before they invented drawing boards, what did they go back to?
Why are hemorrhoids called "hemorrhoids" instead of asteroids?

Quote:

> > Roy

> > Try doing a SUBINDEX with SIX3, should be (IMO) the fastest way to
> FILTER
> > your data

> > Don't use RELATIONS for this as it'll only slow you down.
> > eg
> > MASTER index is built using
> > INDEX ON NAME TAG 'PRIMARY'

> > cName := DETAIL1->NAME
> > nAge    := DETAIL2->AGE
> > dDate    := DETAIL3->DATE

> > SET SCOPE TO ( cName )
> > SUBINDEX ON NAME FOR AGE == nAge .AND. DATE == dDate TO cTempIndx
> > MASTER->( DBGOTOP() )
> > Browse()

> > Have a look at the samples that come with SIXDRIVER.

> I have a parameters window, and I got to browse only records in master
> that match the parameter in detail... So I need the relations, IMHO.

> Or not?

> --
> All these moments will be lost, in time
> like tears in the rain. Time to die...
> (Roy Batty 1982)

Sun, 30 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT

http://members.tripod.com/~grand_hotel/int3eval.zip
--
Andi Jahja <see headers for my e-address>

Thu, 03 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. wanted: DOS Clipper 5.2 SIX-RDD-driver (or serial)

2. Clipper 5.2e and SIx Driver v3.00

3. What happend with Six Driver for Clipper 5.3?

4. SIX DRIVER 3 and Clipper 5.3b

5. SIx Driver for Clipper 5.3b announced !

6. Six Drivers 3.0 with Clipper 5.3

7. SIx Driver - CDX for Clipper problems

8. What version of SIX drivers for Clipper 5.3 ?

9. Clipper & SIx Driver

10. ODBC driver for Successware Six Driver

11. Help: Six Driver in Delphi

12. Need Help with password of SIx Clipper Library