Need urgent help with index/hang problem
Author Message
 Need urgent help with index/hang problem

Hi there,

I'm supporting an old Clipper 87 application which were converted to
Clipper 5.01 & Natucket Tools for Cipper 5.0 last year. The programm
itself is about 400kb an runs fine under Dos or in a DOS-Box
under Win 3.11 under an Novell 3.11 network since years. The converted
program worked now for one year and there seems to be no problem,
till last week.

The problem is that Clipper is unable to rebuild one simple index file.
The computer hang everytime i've tried to rebuild the deleted *.NTX files
with INDEX ON.
I've tried to rebuild the *.NTX files with the DBU tool and
I've written a very small program whith the only function to rebuild
the *.NTX file with the same result.

I've tried to reuse the old Clipper 87 application, same
result (the main DB did't changed).

I could not belive that it is a memory problem and Clipper
can't use a 2.6 Meg DB with about 80.000
entries.

The application is linked with rtlink.exe and the following
script file:

OUTPUT xx.exe
FILE NT2GR50, zpa.obj,initzpa.obj,ZF_NETWA
LIB clipper,extend,nt250
OVERLAY CODE, $CONSTANTS
BEGINAREA
  SECTION FILE pdat.obj
  SECTION FILE stud.obj
  SECTION FILE prf.obj
  SECTION FILE prfg.obj
  SECTION FILE liste.obj
  SECTION FILE zeug.obj
  SECTION FILE db.obj
  SECTION FILE i1.obj
ENDAREA

If you have any suggestions or ideas please post or mail

Thanks in advance

Marco

Fri, 22 May 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Need urgent help with index/hang problem

Marco:
Can you post the small function, the STRUCTURE of the database, the
index, and the NUMBER of records?

-Jim Gale

Fri, 22 May 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Need urgent help with index/hang problem

Quote:

> The problem is that Clipper is unable to rebuild one simple index file.
> The computer hang everytime i've tried to rebuild the deleted *.NTX files
> with INDEX ON.

try re-building the indexes on a local hard drive, then re-copy them to the
network, I had a similar problem with one of my apps and it turned out that
the LAN admin changed the Novell Packet Buffers, and the Indexes in S87 hosed
up.  If you can re-build them on a local drive - look to changes in your
network traffic.

stan littlefield
bti

Sat, 23 May 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Need urgent help with index/hang problem

Quote:
>The problem is that Clipper is unable to rebuild one simple index file.
>The computer hang everytime i've tried to rebuild the deleted *.NTX files
>with INDEX ON.

Sounds like it is file specific ?, or is this the only index in the program?
Could the runtime "R" parameter be too low ?  If I remember correctly, this
parm determines available cache/memory for indexing as well as other items.

Mon, 25 May 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. INDEXING PROBLEM - URGENT HELP NEEDED!

2. Urgent Help Needed On Indexed Files I/O

3. URGENT-help needed-URGENT

4. Network problem - URGENT help needed

5. Urgent help needed on VX-Rexx Problem

6. Problem with CP 2.1.1 in Windows NT : URGENT HELP NEEDED

7. URGENT help needed resolving Package problem with Oratcl 3.0.2

8. Need help with Fortress Index Corruption Problem !

9. Please help with indexing numbers - urgent

10. need help with hanging commands

11. Help needed: Telnet via expect hangs on Tru64 V5.1

12. URGENT! [VWNC] Hung in Endless Loop