Win 95, NAV and Summer '87
Author Message
 Win 95, NAV and Summer '87

We are looking to move some of our users onto new PC pre-loaded with Win 95
in about a month.  I just tested a Summer '87 app under Win 95 and I am
unable to print.  It can't seem to find the printer.  We are using NAV
(Norton Anti-Virus) with Win 95.  Through previous experience, I had to do
some tweaking with NAV so that I could print.  Anyone have an idea what I
need to do in the Windows 95 environment?

TIA,
--
Scott Snavely

not of
http://www.*-*-*.com/    PPG Industries, Inc. nor of any PPG-associated
companies.

      \\?//

 /-----\(_)/--------------------------------------------------------\
 |     ( ~ )        I found the meaning of life but
 | .oooO Oooo.    forgot to write it down....
 | (   )___(   )
 \--\ ( _|_ ) /-----------------------------------------------------\
     \_)   (_/

Sat, 01 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Win 95, NAV and Summer '87

Quote:

> We are looking to move some of our users onto new PC pre-loaded with Win 95
> in about a month.  I just tested a Summer '87 app under Win 95 and I am
> unable to print.  It can't seem to find the printer.  We are using NAV
> (Norton Anti-Virus) with Win 95.  Through previous experience, I had to do
> some tweaking with NAV so that I could print.  Anyone have an idea what I
> need to do in the Windows 95 environment?

It is advisable that youu boot WIn95 in DOS mode. I also run CLipper (
5.2) on PCs preloaded with Win95 with no problem. Just create a boot
menu fo the user to choose. Perhaps you have to touch the MSDOS.SYS
of WIn95 to turn off the BootGUI parameter to 0.

--
** Andi Jahja ******************************************************
** http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/4231/index.html **********

Sun, 02 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Win 95, NAV and Summer '87

Be sure your Windows '95 is set to print DOS applications.  You will find
this in your printer setup.  Also, there is some sensitivity regarding the
printer.  I have a printer which is Win '95 PNP on one machine, and it
doesn't like the DOS programs.  I have a Canon inkjet on the other machine
and it works great.  A printer dedicated to Win '95, without its own
control ROMS could be problematic.

Sun, 02 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Win 95, NAV and Summer '87

Quote:

> > We are looking to move some of our users onto new PC pre-loaded with
Win 95
> > in about a month.  I just tested a Summer '87 app under Win 95 and I am
> > unable to print.  It can't seem to find the printer.  We are using NAV
> > (Norton Anti-Virus) with Win 95.  Through previous experience, I had to
do
> > some tweaking with NAV so that I could print.  Anyone have an idea what
> > need to do in the Windows 95 environment?

> It is advisable that you boot WIn95 in DOS mode.

I don't think this is really necessary. I copied the MS-DOS-prompt from the
programs menu and added a batch file containing the needed paths and
clipper settings. I did this for clipper 5.2 and 5.3 and both versions work
(and print) like charm.
One thing, however, that I do with all of my native dos programs, is *not*
letting 'em detect windows and I don't add the printcommands of my dos apps
to the windows printqeue.

Tweaking the memory settings in the propertiesbox of the linkfile might
also help.

This approach has the appealing quality that you can run your favorite
editor in one (dos)box while compiling the edited app in another.

I include the contents of my SET53.BAT as a reference (of a sort):

SET INCLUDE=D:\CL53\INCLUDE;d:\hiclass\include
SET LIB=D:\CL53\LIB;D:\hiclass\LIB
SET OBJ=D:\CL53\OBJ;D:\hiclass\lib
PATH=D:\CL53\BIN;D:\NG;C:\;C:\NC
lh d:\ng\ng

I hope this gets you anywhere.

Regards,

W.H. Kok

Mon, 03 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Win 95, NAV and Summer '87

I have a Clipper 5.2e app running under Windoze95 and have found similar
print problems.  I find that if I initialise the printer port, most
print functions appear to be fixed.  After Win95 finishes booting, I
open a DOS window then do a dir *.* >prn, exit the DOS box and run the
app.  This has to be done after ervery re-boot.  Perhaps Clipper isn't
doing something properly when the printer port is selected under program
control ???
Bill

Quote:

> > We are looking to move some of our users onto new PC pre-loaded with Win 95
> > in about a month.  I just tested a Summer '87 app under Win 95 and I am
> > unable to print.  It can't seem to find the printer.  We are using NAV
> > (Norton Anti-Virus) with Win 95.  Through previous experience, I had to do
> > some tweaking with NAV so that I could print.  Anyone have an idea what I
> > need to do in the Windows 95 environment?

Sat, 15 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Win '95/Summer '87

2. Summer 87 and Win 95 Problem

3. Summer '87 on Windows 95 / Novell v3.12

4. W'95, printing, Summer 87

5. S'87 & Win 95 Problems

6. Summer 87 & Windows 95

7. Clipper Summer 87 & Windows 95/NT

8. Clipper '87 and printing under W'95

9. Ada '87 and '95 standards.

10. Summer '87 App doesn't remote print

11. Can't open xxxx.DBF error in Summer '87

12. indexng and data corruption with clipper s'87 under windows 95