DBT file problem
Author Message
 DBT file problem

Does anyone experienced problem with DBT file (Memo) becoming
all mixed up when its too big (over 30 MB).

I keep packing the DBT by copying the associated DBF to a different
name then renaming it to original name.

It works for a while then problems appear again.

Is there a limit a DBT file can handle?

Thanks.

Michel Lafortune
Consultant
CGI

Mon, 01 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 DBT file problem
Yes Michel, many years ago. I went even as far as putting a record key at
the beginning of the memo and then using a low level function to restore a
corrupted DBT. But then I used the SIX.LIB family and opted for the Foxpro
cdx  index file structure and the associated fpt memo file and all my
problems with clipper programs disappeared forever.

The fpt files can be chosen in smaller chunks than 512 bytes and the bloat
occurring with the dbt files also disappeared, Did you know that every time
you access a dbt memo, the old one is left and a new one is created at the
end of the file.

Then the six3.lib has major other advantages, such as conditional indexes to
name one that I use very often.

(I suppose you are a Torontonian as well?)

Quote:

>Does anyone experienced problem with DBT file (Memo) becoming
>all mixed up when its too big (over 30 MB).

>I keep packing the DBT by copying the associated DBF to a different
>name then renaming it to original name.

>It works for a while then problems appear again.

>Is there a limit a DBT file can handle?

>Thanks.

>Michel Lafortune
>Consultant
>CGI

Mon, 01 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 DBT file problem
Yep. 32Meg. It has to do with the size of the pointer that is stored...
Other dBase file flavors have worked around this problem...
Quote:

> Does anyone experienced problem with DBT file (Memo) becoming
> all mixed up when its too big (over 30 MB).

> I keep packing the DBT by copying the associated DBF to a different
> name then renaming it to original name.

> It works for a while then problems appear again.

> Is there a limit a DBT file can handle?

> Thanks.

> Michel Lafortune
> Consultant
> CGI

Mon, 01 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 DBT file problem
I use DBFCDX and .FPT but sometime I have the same problem with big .fpt
files (>10mb).
Now I am going to test ADS for this (and other) reason(s).

--

Sente srl - Milano - Italy - http://www.sente.it

Quote:
> Yes Michel, many years ago. I went even as far as putting a record key at
> the beginning of the memo and then using a low level function to restore
> corrupted DBT. But then I used the SIX.LIB family and opted for the
Foxpro
> cdx  index file structure and the associated fpt memo file and all my
> problems with clipper programs disappeared forever.

Tue, 02 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Please help, DBT file problem

2. DBT file problems...

3. PROBLEMS WITH DBT FILES

4. Problems with a DBT file (MEMO, fields)

5. File size of Advantage dbt files

6. Clipper .dbt to dBase .dbt?

7. Program Hang - DBT file

8. Access 97 linking to DBF,NTX, DBT Files

9. DBT file

10. Clipper 5.2e And Delphi 5.0 using .DBT memo files

11. export dbf dbt and ntx files ?

12. DBT File and 32 MB Limit