DBFNTX/1210 Corruption Detected error
Author Message
 DBFNTX/1210 Corruption Detected error

I find this text in internet, when looking VRDRUPD.EXE
If this is your problem, search for VRDRUPD.EXE and update your Windows 95.

Symptoms: Databases programs running in Windows 95 OEM Service Release 2
(OSR2) or 2.1 (OSR 2.1) over a Microsoft Network may damage the database.
Cause: When a program uses the GetFileSize() API to get the size of an
existing file on a Microsoft networking server (such as a Windows NT-based
server), the Client for Microsoft Networks may not return the correct file
size. When the program then attempts to write additional information to the
end of the file, it may overwrite existing data instead.
This problem has been observed only with the version of the Client for
Microsoft Networks (Vredir.vxd) included with OSR2 (version 4.00.1111) and
later
OSR2:
vredir.vxd version 4.00.1116 (dated 9/11/97) and later

Quote:
>I have a clipper52 program for DOS that seems to run just fine under
>DOS, WIN3.1, WFW3.11, WIN95, WIN98, WIN NT except for when a WIN95/98/NT
>system has been booted in the MSDOS mode.  I get the above error after
>accessing a file in multiple areas, (apparently) after doing a commit
>and then going back into the file(s).  When I accept the data again, I
>get the above message and it points to the commit on exit.  DOES not
>happen running under a DOS window.

>I looked in the all the places I could think of; FAQ, this group etc and
>did not find an answer.  I'm stumped (which sometimes isn't hard) but
>would appreciate any help or ideas anyone can offer.

>Thanks

>Cliff

Thu, 04 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 DBFNTX/1210 Corruption Detected error
Unfortunately this does not appear to be the problem.  My version of that
driver is 1998 v4.10.xxxx.

In doing furthur testing. I found some additional info.

I have a file opened in up to 8 different areas for looking at different
aspects of the same file.  When I do the commit, it updates one of the records
but not the rest.  If I go back over and over again and re-enter the data, each
time it updates one more record until eventually they are all correct and I can
go to the next registration screen
where the problems start all over again.  It appears that the commit only
updates one alias at a time rather than all open files/user areas.  Again note
that it works in the Windows mode but not DOS mode for Win 95,98,NT (This is
where I have seen it)  It does work correctly in plain old DOS

Quote:

> I find this text in internet, when looking VRDRUPD.EXE
> If this is your problem, search for VRDRUPD.EXE and update your Windows 95.

> Symptoms: Databases programs running in Windows 95 OEM Service Release 2
> (OSR2) or 2.1 (OSR 2.1) over a Microsoft Network may damage the database.
> Cause: When a program uses the GetFileSize() API to get the size of an
> existing file on a Microsoft networking server (such as a Windows NT-based
> server), the Client for Microsoft Networks may not return the correct file
> size. When the program then attempts to write additional information to the
> end of the file, it may overwrite existing data instead.
> This problem has been observed only with the version of the Client for
> Microsoft Networks (Vredir.vxd) included with OSR2 (version 4.00.1111) and
> later
> OSR2:
> vredir.vxd version 4.00.1116 (dated 9/11/97) and later

Fri, 05 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 DBFNTX/1210 Corruption Detected error
Are you using commit [dbcommit()] or commit all [dbcommitall()]?

Quote:
> Unfortunately this does not appear to be the problem.  My version of that
> driver is 1998 v4.10.xxxx.

> In doing furthur testing. I found some additional info.

> I have a file opened in up to 8 different areas for looking at different
> aspects of the same file.  When I do the commit, it updates one of the
records
> but not the rest.  If I go back over and over again and re-enter the data,
each
> time it updates one more record until eventually they are all correct and
I can
> go to the next registration screen
> where the problems start all over again.  It appears that the commit only
> updates one alias at a time rather than all open files/user areas.  Again
note
> that it works in the Windows mode but not DOS mode for Win 95,98,NT (This
is
> where I have seen it)  It does work correctly in plain old DOS

> > I find this text in internet, when looking VRDRUPD.EXE
> > If this is your problem, search for VRDRUPD.EXE and update your Windows
95.

> > Symptoms: Databases programs running in Windows 95 OEM Service Release 2
> > (OSR2) or 2.1 (OSR 2.1) over a Microsoft Network may damage the
database.
> > Cause: When a program uses the GetFileSize() API to get the size of an
> > existing file on a Microsoft networking server (such as a Windows
NT-based
> > server), the Client for Microsoft Networks may not return the correct
file
> > size. When the program then attempts to write additional information to
the
> > end of the file, it may overwrite existing data instead.
> > This problem has been observed only with the version of the Client for
> > Microsoft Networks (Vredir.vxd) included with OSR2 (version 4.00.1111)
and
> > later
95
> > OSR2:
> > vredir.vxd version 4.00.1116 (dated 9/11/97) and later

Fri, 05 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 DBFNTX/1210 Corruption Detected error

Quote:

> Are you using commit [dbcommit()] or commit all [dbcommitall()]?

Actually I'm using the commit statement which is supposed to be the equivalent
of dbcommitall().

Cliff

Fri, 05 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 DBFNTX/1210 Corruption Detected error
You are quite right Cliff.

Despite my having two different books (by well known Clipper gurus) that say
differently, COMMIT preprocesses into dbcommitall() and there is apparently
no COMMIT ALL command.

I learned a lesson here: when in doubt read std.ch.

But, that doesn't solve your problem.  I have used multiple workareas for
the same table only rarely (for doing snaking column reports) and always
imposed a "read-only" status on these workareas when I did it.  I can't find
a reference, but I seem to remember someone who I trusted saying not to
allow editing to the same table in different workareas.  I'll bet it was one
of the same authors who got commit wrong, too.

Just out of curiosity, what are you doing with these 8 instances open at the
same time?  I don't believe normal concurrency processing will handle this
type of redundancy.  Perhaps a system of semaphores would do the trick.

Quote:

> > Are you using commit [dbcommit()] or commit all [dbcommitall()]?

> Actually I'm using the commit statement which is supposed to be the
equivalent
> of dbcommitall().

> Cliff

Sat, 06 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 DBFNTX/1210 Corruption Detected error
This is a program to manage skeet shoots and the particular file is one that
holds entry information for each gauge.  When I do registration for a shooter, I
have aliases into the file for the different gauges (PRLM,12
20,28,410,DBLS,HOA,HAA) and change the record for each gauge depending on the
registration screen.  This all works just fine under regular MSDOS and Win3.1,
WFW3.11, WIN95,WIN98,WINNT when using a DOS window but fails on WIN95,98,NT when
booted to DOS mode

Cliff

Quote:

> You are quite right Cliff.

> Despite my having two different books (by well known Clipper gurus) that say
> differently, COMMIT preprocesses into dbcommitall() and there is apparently
> no COMMIT ALL command.

> I learned a lesson here: when in doubt read std.ch.

> But, that doesn't solve your problem.  I have used multiple workareas for
> the same table only rarely (for doing snaking column reports) and always
> imposed a "read-only" status on these workareas when I did it.  I can't find
> a reference, but I seem to remember someone who I trusted saying not to
> allow editing to the same table in different workareas.  I'll bet it was one
> of the same authors who got commit wrong, too.

> Just out of curiosity, what are you doing with these 8 instances open at the
> same time?  I don't believe normal concurrency processing will handle this
> type of redundancy.  Perhaps a system of semaphores would do the trick.

> > > Are you using commit [dbcommit()] or commit all [dbcommitall()]?

> > Actually I'm using the commit statement which is supposed to be the
> equivalent
> > of dbcommitall().

> > Cliff

Sat, 06 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 DBFNTX/1210 Corruption Detected error
Cliff

Are you loading HIMEM.SYS/EMM386.EXE in your config.dos file  (WIN95/98).

When booting to DOS mode there is no memory management (AFAIK).

How do you boot to DOS under NT though??

--
HTH
Steve Quinn

Life is {*filter*}ly transmitted.
Never take life seriously.  Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
Fire hydrants have H2O on the inside and K9P on the outside.

Quote:
> This is a program to manage skeet shoots and the particular file is one
that
> holds entry information for each gauge.  When I do registration for a
shooter, I
> have aliases into the file for the different gauges (PRLM,12
> 20,28,410,DBLS,HOA,HAA) and change the record for each gauge depending on
the
> registration screen.  This all works just fine under regular MSDOS and
Win3.1,
> WFW3.11, WIN95,WIN98,WINNT when using a DOS window but fails on
WIN95,98,NT when
> booted to DOS mode

> Cliff

> > You are quite right Cliff.

> > Despite my having two different books (by well known Clipper gurus) that
say
> > differently, COMMIT preprocesses into dbcommitall() and there is
apparently
> > no COMMIT ALL command.

> > I learned a lesson here: when in doubt read std.ch.

> > But, that doesn't solve your problem.  I have used multiple workareas
for
> > the same table only rarely (for doing snaking column reports) and always
> > imposed a "read-only" status on these workareas when I did it.  I can't
find
> > a reference, but I seem to remember someone who I trusted saying not to
> > allow editing to the same table in different workareas.  I'll bet it was
one
> > of the same authors who got commit wrong, too.

> > Just out of curiosity, what are you doing with these 8 instances open at
the
> > same time?  I don't believe normal concurrency processing will handle
this
> > type of redundancy.  Perhaps a system of semaphores would do the trick.

> > > Actually I'm using the commit statement which is supposed to be the
> > equivalent
> > > of dbcommitall().

> > > Cliff

Sun, 07 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 DBFNTX/1210 Corruption Detected error

Quote:

> This problem has been observed only with the version of the Client for
> Microsoft Networks (Vredir.vxd) included with OSR2 (version 4.00.1111) and
> later

I have two problem sites who are running Win95 networks and have been
suffering from damaged data files for a long time.  The version at one
site is 4.00.1111, and I have just sent them the update.   But, the
version at the other site is older than that, 4.00.984.  Do you know
if this problem was ONLY in 4.00.1111 or was it also in older
versions?

Thanks for solving this one for me!

Best regards,

Gene Weinbeck
Professional Support Software
publishers of the FundRaiser Family of donor management software

http://www.fundraiser-software.com

Tue, 09 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 DBFNTX/1210 Corruption Detected error
The latest version of the redirector that I know of is 4.0.0.1116 - find it
and a description of some of the problems at:

http://search.support.microsoft.com/kb/search.asp?D=Support&A=T&T=B&S...
SD=SO&T1=&FR=1&DU=C&Sz=vrdrupd%2Eexe&O=Vrdrupd%2Eexe

- Kevin.

()()

Quote:

> > This problem has been observed only with the version of the Client for
> > Microsoft Networks (Vredir.vxd) included with OSR2 (version 4.00.1111)
and
> > later

> I have two problem sites who are running Win95 networks and have been
> suffering from damaged data files for a long time.  The version at one
> site is 4.00.1111, and I have just sent them the update.   But, the
> version at the other site is older than that, 4.00.984.  Do you know
> if this problem was ONLY in 4.00.1111 or was it also in older
> versions?

> Thanks for solving this one for me!

> Best regards,

> Gene Weinbeck
> Professional Support Software
> publishers of the FundRaiser Family of donor management software

> http://www.fundraiser-software.com

Wed, 10 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 DBFNTX/1210 Corruption Detected error
Hmmm - seems like OE5 does not paste long links well - you may have to
copy/paste the whole link into your browser...

- Kevin.

()()

Wed, 10 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 DBFNTX/1210 Corruption Detected error

Quote:

> I have a clipper52 program for DOS that seems to run just fine under
> DOS, WIN3.1, WFW3.11, WIN95, WIN98, WIN NT except for when a WIN95/98/NT
> system has been booted in the MSDOS mode.  I get the above error after
> accessing a file in multiple areas, (apparently) after doing a commit
> and then going back into the file(s).  When I accept the data again, I
> get the above message and it points to the commit on exit.  DOES not
> happen running under a DOS window.

> I looked in the all the places I could think of; FAQ, this group etc and
> did not find an answer.  I'm stumped (which sometimes isn't hard) but
> would appreciate any help or ideas anyone can offer.

> Thanks

> Cliff

Well I found it.  After asking Microsoft and having them disclaim any
knowledge, I started experimenting.  To make a long story short, I needed to
load share.exe
(INSTALL=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\SHARE.EXE)
in the config.sys file.  Apparently, even in a non-networked, single user
environment, having a file opened multiple times in different user areas
requires having share loaded.  I guess this makes sense but it sure faked me
out since all my DOS systems have share loaded and it is loaded when you run
a DOS window so the only time I saw it was in MSDOS mode under WIN95,98,NT
since share was not loaded then.

Cliff

Sun, 14 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Error : DBFNTX/1210 Corruption Detected

2. Error DBFNTX/1210 Corruption detected

3. Error DBFNTX/1210 Corruption detected

4. Problem Error DBFNTX/1210 Corruption detected

5. Error DBFNTX/1210 Corruption Detected

6. DBFNTX Error 1210 Corruption Detected...

7. DBFNTX / 1210 Corruption Detected .... Revisited

8. DBFNTX/1210 Corruption Detected - Please Help!

9. Corruption Detected ... DBF/NTX 1012 or DBFNTX /1210

10. Help: DBFNTX/1210 Corruption detected

11. dbfntx/1210 Corruption detected

12. DBFNTX/1210: corruption detected