Slow Clipper/ADS/NT/IPX
Author Message
 Slow Clipper/ADS/NT/IPX

A large Clipper 5.2e app with ADS exhibits a huge performance difference
on a REPLACE ALL command, between workstations running DOS (great) and
NT/Win2K/W98 (horribly slow) on a Novell 4.11 network. The application
makes appropriate use of oslib calls to minimize CPU-hogging, and plays
well with other apps on the windows workstations.

A Google search yielded some suggestions that a change of IPX client
might speed things up, but I didn't find any definitive articles. I'm
telecommuting, so will have to wait until tomorrow to find out which
clients they are using on the Windows machines.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Neil

Tue, 17 Aug 2004 12:01:50 GMT
 Slow Clipper/ADS/NT/IPX
Hi Neil,

a few test results:
Netware 5.1, ADS 6, Table with 4 Index, 10.000 recs, repl on 1 field:

DOS 6.22    Pentium II 350        30 sec.
W98SE        Pentium II 350        40 sec        (Client 3.31)
XP                Pentium III 1 GHz    9 min !    (Client 4.82)

ciao
Frank

Quote:
> A large Clipper 5.2e app with ADS exhibits a huge performance difference
> on a REPLACE ALL command, between workstations running DOS (great) and
> NT/Win2K/W98 (horribly slow) on a Novell 4.11 network. The application
> makes appropriate use of oslib calls to minimize CPU-hogging, and plays
> well with other apps on the windows workstations.

> A Google search yielded some suggestions that a change of IPX client
> might speed things up, but I didn't find any definitive articles. I'm
> telecommuting, so will have to wait until tomorrow to find out which
> clients they are using on the Windows machines.

> Any suggestions? Thanks.

> Neil

Tue, 17 Aug 2004 15:42:07 GMT
 Slow Clipper/ADS/NT/IPX
Bug in Netware client

Got to news server 207.70.7.8 and subscribe to

Advantage.Clipper

and

Advantage.Netware

Tue, 17 Aug 2004 19:36:44 GMT

1. ADS/NT/IPX/1015 error

2. Converting ADS/Netware to ADS/NT

3. ads with IP or IPX ?

4. NT Server + NT Workstation + ADS problem.

5. Clipper under Windows NT : SLOW ?

6. Clipper Win NT Problem (slow)

7. SP 6 Win NT -> slowing clipper programs

8. Clipper Apps running Slow in NT

9. NT Printing Slow From Clipper 5.2 App

10. Clipper slows NT down...

11. Clipper App. Slow thru NT Server4

12. clippers application slow under windows NT