useing indexes in a net
Author Message
 useing indexes in a net

What is the best way to use indexes in a net enviroment ?

For example : What do I do when a .ntx is in use ?

Please advise

HTH Maurice

Thu, 12 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 useing indexes in a net

Indexes are designed to work seamlessly.  Access to the DBF record
associated with the index should automatically align the index.  An NTX
should be available to all users except where the correponding DBF has
record or file locks applied or the DBF is opened exclusively.

If the index and DBF are not aligned, then it is likely that the index is
corrupt and needs to be recreated.

There are some technical exceptions to the above.  If a Windows user has
background processing turned off and ALT-TABs off the Clipper application
(especially while the Clipper app is processing a DBF), the Index can get
locked up because the local machine is not giving enough cycles to the
Clipper app for it to complete its operations.  In this particular case,
unfortunately, other users are likely to also get locked up. It's probably
also possible to have other network/operating system occurances cause
problems for the index, but such happenings are exceptions to the general
rules as to how indexes work.
--
Richard Mitchell
http://www.geocities.com/~bytemaster
bytemaster at ibm.net

Quote:
> What is the best way to use indexes in a net enviroment ?

> For example : What do I do when a .ntx is in use ?

> Please advise

> HTH Maurice

Thu, 12 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 useing indexes in a net

: What is the best way to use indexes in a net enviroment ?

: For example : What do I do when a .ntx is in use ?

Go get a coffee :-)

Now, seriously. If the dbf was opened SHARE, you don't do anything.
Clipper and the network take care of your indexes.

--
         *** Learn Esperanto - the International Language! ***
One language for all           |      Unu por chiuj,

Sat, 14 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. useing clipper index in ms-access

2. Tk.Net, GTK.Net, and FOX.Net?

3. Useing Bios in protected-Mode

4. Useing COM Components in Clarion

5. Useing CLA-Com

6. useing pf keys in rexx

7. Question about USEing Modules...

8. Proper USEing in F

9. Useing AcuCobol programs in batch (background) processing.

10. Makefile that avoids extra compilations when USEing MODULES

11. USEing MODULEs versus linking to libraries

12. interactive console in a Win95 C++ app useing Visual C++