Running Print Manager from command line
Author Message
 Running Print Manager from command line

Hello again, have started recoding my source to use Pagescript for Clipper so
that my programs will be able to output reports directly to the Windows
printers and was wondering if there was an actual program or command line one
can run to bring up the Windows Print Manager screen.  Pagescript does a
wonderful job of giving you access to whatever printers are already set up on
the machine but my past programs have had the ability to go out and query our
WAN Netware print queues, capture any of them and print to them.  That
functionality seems to be in jeopardy with the installation of Win2K and the
removal of IPX from our servers.

Anyway, figured it'd be a nice touch in the setup of my reports to give the
users the ability to bring up the Window's print manager screen where they can
add additional printers, make changes to those printer configurations, etc.  I
know I can write a stub program in VB that I could call up and it would do the
job but that adds an additional level of complexity and a more difficult
workstation setup.  Have searched the windows and windows/system directories
and see no executable files that seem to be used although there are some .dll
files named printer that might be the ones I need.  Certainly can't run them
though a command line directly though.

Art Martin

Sun, 29 Aug 2004 04:06:49 GMT
 Running Print Manager from command line

Quote:
>Hello again, have started recoding my source to use Pagescript for Clipper so
>that my programs will be able to output reports directly to the Windows
>printers and was wondering if there was an actual program or command line one
>can run to bring up the Windows Print Manager screen.  Pagescript does a
>wonderful job of giving you access to whatever printers are already set up on
>the machine but my past programs have had the ability to go out and query our
>WAN Netware print queues, capture any of them and print to them.  That
>functionality seems to be in jeopardy with the installation of Win2K and the
>removal of IPX from our servers.

It's a completely different thing to talk to a printer through its
Windows drivers & doing a simple capture - in order to do what you
want, you'd need to install the correct drivers for the selected
printer before Windows could use it.

--
Nick Ramsay
WitzEnd Computer Services

Tue, 31 Aug 2004 03:55:51 GMT
 Running Print Manager from command line
Nick, I understand that but just wanted to get the users to a place where that
was possible.  Most of the drivers are already on their workstations.  Just a
matter of picking the right ones.  I've found that the more steps you can
automate to get people to do what they need the better they like your programs.

Of course I could pop up a message saying "If you wish to print to additional
printers not on the list then run the Print Manager by clicking on the Start
Button, going to Settings and Clicking on Printers" but in a business setting
you have all levels of user including those that have no clue what the Start
button is unless you're there to show them.  Anytime I can skip a few steps for
them I try to do that.  If nothing else the imposing print manager and all the
steps to install a printer might just be what it takes to make them understand
what IT people go through to try to support the wishes of all the users.

Art Martin

Quote:
>It's a completely different thing to talk to a printer through its
>Windows drivers & doing a simple capture - in order to do what you
>want, you'd need to install the correct drivers for the selected
>printer before Windows could use it.

>--
>Nick Ramsay
>WitzEnd Computer Services

Wed, 01 Sep 2004 06:05:16 GMT

1. Question on CW app as an NT service, running Command Line PGP

2. Running 2 reports with one command line

3. Running Rexx programs from command line with 2.1 Workbench installed

4. how do I run a script with a command line

5. Can't get Tkinter to run from command line

6. running pyton on NT command lines

7. run/load *.pl file from command line

8. TclApp -- Running from Command Line?

9. running tcl script from command line

10. trouble running an expect script in cron versus command line

11. How to run TCL Scripts on Open VMS from the DCL Command Line

12. running non-compiled LISP from the command-line?