Clipper/VO mini-FAQ
Author Message
 Clipper/VO mini-FAQ

    MINI FREQUENTLY-ASKED-QUESTIONS (FAQ) LIST FOR CA-CLIPPER

                  Release 2.01, 25 August 1997

                             NOTICE

This document's purpose is to direct posters to the Clipper news-
groups comp.lang.clipper and comp.lang.clipper.visual-objects.
Nothing in this document is in any way an expression of the opin-
ions or policies of the poster's employers or their clients.

This document will be posted to the Usenet newsgroups:
   alt.comp.databases.xbase.clipper,
   comp.databases.xbase.misc, and
   comp.lang.clipper
weekly or as needed.  It will not be posted to the new
comp.lang.clipper.visual-objects group.

Q: What is Clipper?

A: In this newsgroup, "Clipper" refers to a database oriented
   programming language for PC platforms.  The primary compiler
   is published by Computer Associates as CA-Clipper.  The
   latest release is 5.3, which includes a Windows development
   environment.  Although originally thought of as a dBASE III
   compiler, Clipper has developed into a language of its own.
   It now incorporates some of the basics of object oriented
   programming through built-in classes, replaceable database
   drivers, and code blocks.  There is no Windows version, but
   there are third party products that let you port Clipper
   applications to Windows.  There is also a Clipper compatible
   compiler for most flavors of UNIX, called FlagShip.

Note: There is an unrelated encryption chip also known as
      Clipper.  Please direct messages pertaining to the
      Clipper chip elsewhere (try the Usenet newsgroups
      alt.privacy or alt.privacy.clipper).
Q: What is CA-Visual Objects (AKA: VO, CAVO)?

A: From Mark Schumann's CA-Clipper FAQ: "CA-Visual Objects is an
   object-oriented Windows-based applications development envi-
   ronment with repository-based source management and an incre-
   mental compiler.  It includes interfaces to many major data-
   base engines via the ODBC ... standard."  Note that VO is not
   a Windows version of Clipper.
Q: Is there a Usenet newsgroup on CA-Clipper?

A: Yes, two of them: alt.comp.databases.xbase.clipper
   (a.c.d.x.c) and comp.lang.clipper (c.l.c.).  The group
   comp.databases.xbase.misc is mostly dBASE, but there are
   occasional Clipper posts.

   The c.l.c group was created early in 1995 and supersedes
   a.c.d.x.c.  Please use comp.lang.clipper for Clipper related
   messages.  If you are having trouble getting c.l.c, contact
   your news server administrator.

   In the Spring of 1997, comp.lang.clipper.visual-objects was
   created.  Please post VO related messages there to keep c.l.c on
   Clipper as much as possible.

   It is possible that some people will never be able to get the
   c.l.c groups.  Since alt groups never die, and Clipperheads
   are a sympathetic lot, you can rest assured that a.c.d.x.c
   will remain active for quite some time.  You can also be
   assured that you will receive comments from well-intentioned
   souls urging you to switch to the c.l.c groups.  Ignore them.
   If they persist, refer them to this mini-FAQ.  With a smile,
   of course.  :)
Q: Is there a Usenet newsgroup on CA-Visual Objects?

A: Yes, comp.lang.clipper.visual-objects.  Please direct VO-
   specific questions to that group.
Q: Where can I get the real Clipper FAQ?

A: The real FAQ has been maintained by Mark Schumann for quite
   some time.  Try these sources:
   ftp://ftp.apk.net/pub/clipper/faq/FAQ.txt     --> Schumann's FAQ
   comp.lang.clipper                           --> Usenet newsgroup
    http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~eisea/clipper.html  --> Clipper links page
Remember: Most users consider alt.comp.databases.xbase.clipper
"obsolete."  Please direct all posts to comp.lang.clipper and
comp.lang.clipper.visual-objects if possible.  Thank you.

Fri, 24 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper/VO mini-FAQ

Quote:

>    MINI FREQUENTLY-ASKED-QUESTIONS (FAQ) LIST FOR CA-CLIPPER

>                  Release 2.01, 25 August 1997

Perhaps you should include XBase++ now. This piece you posted has been
far beyond update. Anyhow, thanks for the care...

Andi Jahja

Fri, 24 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Clipper/VO mini-FAQ

2. Clipper/VO mini-FAQ