NT Server not releasing some files on program close
Author Message
 NT Server not releasing some files on program close

Hello,

Occasionally I see some small number of files in Server Manager that a users
has open but the program that opened them is closed and has been for several
minutes. With these users I need to have them reboot to clear the files (or
unceremoniously dump their connection).

I know that all copies of the program are closed since some files that are
always open during the running of the program are not shown as open and at
times it is only the indexes that are left open or scattered files but not
their related files.

I am using 5.01a with no networking libraries.

Has anyone seen such a problem or know of a fix?

Thanks, Tom

Tue, 08 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 NT Server not releasing some files on program close
I have not seen this happen so the following is purely speculation.  I
wonder if these files which remain open are not explicitly closed by
the application ?  Maybe your exit / quit routine should either contain
a "close databases" statement or something like the following:

for i = 1 to 10   // increase or decrease as needed
   select(i)

   IF INDEXORD() <> 0  // there is an open index
      SET INDEX TO     // release index file handle
   ENDIF

   if !empty(alias())
      USE              // and data file handle
   endif

   INKEY(0.1)          // brief "rest"
next i

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Wed, 09 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 NT Server not releasing some files on program close
Tom

I have  seen  this  happen.    Files  on  one  particular  server
would  stay  open  for  hours,  even days,  after  the  application
program  had  shut  down.    Then  the   time/date  stamp  on  the
file  sould  suddenly  change  (to  the  program  termination  time),
as  though  NT  had  at  last  noticed  that  the  application  had
closed  the  file.    We  could  not  find  anything  wrong  with  our
application,  and  the problem  seemed  to  disappear  after  the
network  people  had  done  some  ""tweaking"  to  the  NT  Server
set  up.    It  is  a  couple  of  years  ago,  and  my  recollections
are  hazy,  but  I  think  something  callled  "optimistic  locking"
was  involved.    Sorry  I  can't  be  more  specific.

Joe  Grant

Quote:
>Hello,

>Occasionally I see some small number of files in Server Manager that a users
>has open but the program that opened them is closed and has been for several
>minutes. With these users I need to have them reboot to clear the files (or
>unceremoniously dump their connection).

>I know that all copies of the program are closed since some files that are
>always open during the running of the program are not shown as open and at
>times it is only the indexes that are left open or scattered files but not
>their related files.

>I am using 5.01a with no networking libraries.

>Has anyone seen such a problem or know of a fix?

>Thanks, Tom

Thu, 10 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 NT Server not releasing some files on program close
Tom
Concerning Joe's post...
Make that "opportunistic locking".  You need to disable it on the NT server.
Unfortunately, I know nothing about the subject.  There was a reply to a
post called "Clipper Programs in NT network".  A reply by Peter Steiger on
4/14/00 mentioned this to solve a specific problem.  Perhaps you can locate
that post.  It should still be current.
HTH
Bill

[excerpt]
,  but  I  think  something  callled  "optimistic  locking"

Quote:
> was  involved.    Sorry  I  can't  be  more  specific.

> Joe  Grant

> >Hello,

> >Occasionally I see some small number of files in Server Manager that a
users
> >has open but the program that opened them is closed and has been for
several
> >minutes. With these users I need to have them reboot to clear the files
(or
> >unceremoniously dump their connection).

> >I know that all copies of the program are closed since some files that
are
> >always open during the running of the program are not shown as open and
at
> >times it is only the indexes that are left open or scattered files but
not
> >their related files.

> >I am using 5.01a with no networking libraries.

> >Has anyone seen such a problem or know of a fix?

> >Thanks, Tom

Fri, 11 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 NT Server not releasing some files on program close
Fron the MSKB:

Workstation Service Entries
\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet
   \Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters

UseOpportunisticLocking   REG_DWORD   0 or 1
Default: 1 (true)
Indicates whether the redirector should use opportunistic-locking (oplock)
performance enhancement. This parameter should be disabled only to isolate
problems.
Server Service Entries
\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet
   \Services\LanmanServer\Parameters

EnableOplocks   REG_DWORD   0 or 1
Default: 1 (true)
Specifies whether the server allows clients to use oplocks on files. Oplocks
are a significant performance enhancement, but have the potential to cause
lost cached data on some networks, particularly wide-area networks.
MinLinkThroughput   REG_DWORD   0 to infinite bytes per second
Default: 0
Specifies the minimum link throughput allowed by the server before it
disables raw and opportunistic locks for this connection.
MaxLinkDelay   REG_DWORD   0 to 100,000 seconds
Default: 60
Specifies the maximum time allowed for a link delay. If delays exceed this
number, the server disables raw I/O and opportunistic locking for this
connection.
OplockBreakWait   REG_DWORD   10 to 180 seconds
Default: 35
Specifies the time that the server waits for a client to respond to an
oplock break request. Smaller values can allow detection of crashed clients
more quickly but can potentially cause loss of cached data.

--

-Dirk

[FUNCky Developer]
[dLESKO Inc.]

 <-- Got FUNCky? Get it now at http://www.funcky.com. FUNCky Rocks! -->

Sat, 12 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 NT Server not releasing some files on program close
I have met that miracle using Clarion Database Developer with NT Server, so
I guess the reason is NT, not Clipper.
Andrey.

Quote:
> Hello,

> Occasionally I see some small number of files in Server Manager that a
users
> has open but the program that opened them is closed and has been for
several
> minutes. With these users I need to have them reboot to clear the files
(or
> unceremoniously dump their connection).

> I know that all copies of the program are closed since some files that are
> always open during the running of the program are not shown as open and at
> times it is only the indexes that are left open or scattered files but not
> their related files.

> I am using 5.01a with no networking libraries.

> Has anyone seen such a problem or know of a fix?

> Thanks, Tom

Sun, 13 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 NT Server not releasing some files on program close

Quote:
> Hello,

> Occasionally I see some small number of files in Server Manager that a
users
> has open but the program that opened them is closed and has been for
several
> minutes. With these users I need to have them reboot to clear the files
(or
> unceremoniously dump their connection).

> I know that all copies of the program are closed since some files that are
> always open during the running of the program are not shown as open and at
> times it is only the indexes that are left open or scattered files but not
> their related files.

> I am using 5.01a with no networking libraries.

> Has anyone seen such a problem or know of a fix?

> Thanks, Tom

Put this in your registry and should release all files.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
SYSTEM
CURRENTCONTROLSET
SERVICES
LANMANSERVER
PARAMETERS
ADD VALUE - UseOpportunisticLocking 0

Wed, 16 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. NT Server not releasing Opened DBF

2. Device file not closing on close command

3. Closed file not really closed

4. Can not open file on Nt Server

5. Windows NT not releasing the OPENED files

6. Pipes not closed on NT

7. CW55PE release H when I close a wizard generated application the IDE closes as well

8. RexxGMSQ just released---IBM Object Rexx---MS SQL Server APIs for MS Windows NT

9. mdi app not closing down, some threads just won't close #2

10. to close or not to close?

11. Clarion Dos version 3 application not printing over NT Server

12. * mail server not work on NT through cable modem