Need Advise: .NTX or .CDX (which is the best?)
Author Message
 Need Advise: .NTX or .CDX (which is the best?)

Yes ! Fox 2.6 style indexes and Memo's are many times better for alot of
reasons.. Mostly, the indexes are compressed, and there is no or little
slack in fox memo fields. You can also have a much bigger memo..  Make sure
you use the latest clipper patch for RDD ..
--
Gordon Hamm
Voice Data Systems Inc.

Quote:
>Hi all,

>I need some advice.

>I've been using CA-Clipper for a few years, but always with the RDD .DBF +
>.NTX + .DBT, but the apps that I have developed so far don't use much of
>memo fields, and I didn't get any serious problem with memo fields, but now
>I need to develop a large system which needs a lot of memo fields and each
>one will have some thousands of records.
>I'm in doubt what RDD I should use: .DBF + .NTX + .DBT   or  should I use
>CDX with DBFMEMO ?

>Any suggesions will be welcome.

>TIA

>--
>Arsnio Fernandes
>Tavinfor, Lda. & AlgarSoft, Lda.

>Tavira, Algarve, Portugal

Thu, 12 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Need Advise: .NTX or .CDX (which is the best?)

Hi all,

I need some advice.

I've been using CA-Clipper for a few years, but always with the RDD .DBF +
.NTX + .DBT, but the apps that I have developed so far don't use much of
memo fields, and I didn't get any serious problem with memo fields, but now
I need to develop a large system which needs a lot of memo fields and each
one will have some thousands of records.
I'm in doubt what RDD I should use: .DBF + .NTX + .DBT   or  should I use
CDX with DBFMEMO ?

Any suggesions will be welcome.

TIA

--
Arsnio Fernandes
Tavinfor, Lda. & AlgarSoft, Lda.

Tavira, Algarve, Portugal

Fri, 13 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Need Advise: .NTX or .CDX (which is the best?)

On 27 Apr 1998 02:39:27 GMT, "Arsnio Fernandes (Tavinfor, Lda.)"

Quote:
>I've been using CA-Clipper for a few years, but always with the RDD .DBF +
>.NTX + .DBT, but the apps that I have developed so far don't use much of
>memo fields, and I didn't get any serious problem with memo fields, but now
>I need to develop a large system which needs a lot of memo fields and each
>one will have some thousands of records.
>I'm in doubt what RDD I should use: .DBF + .NTX + .DBT   or  should I use
>CDX with DBFMEMO ?

Do a web search for FlexFile;  it's the best memo field replacement
RDD - I think some version of it is shipped with Clipper 5.3 and there
is talk of a VO version I believe.

Don

"When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep - like my
grandfather - not screaming like the passengers in  his car."

Fri, 13 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Need Advise: .NTX or .CDX (which is the best?)

Quote:

>On 27 Apr 1998 02:39:27 GMT, "Arsnio Fernandes (Tavinfor, Lda.)"

>>I've been using CA-Clipper for a few years, but always with the RDD .DBF +
>>.NTX + .DBT, but the apps that I have developed so far don't use much of
>>memo fields, and I didn't get any serious problem with memo fields, but now
>>I need to develop a large system which needs a lot of memo fields and each
>>one will have some thousands of records.
>>I'm in doubt what RDD I should use: .DBF + .NTX + .DBT   or  should I use
>>CDX with DBFMEMO ?

>Do a web search for FlexFile;  it's the best memo field replacement
>RDD - I think some version of it is shipped with Clipper 5.3 and there
>is talk of a VO version I believe.

>Don

From the alternatives orginaly listed - most people converted
their ntx and dbt to cdx and fpt which are far superior.
cheers Knut

>"When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep - like my
>grandfather - not screaming like the passengers in  his car."

Fri, 13 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Need Advise: .NTX or .CDX (which is the best?)

Don is 100% right,

Switch TODAY to Flexfile for Memos - it is the best. Clipper 5.2 users
can use FLEXII or FLEXIII and Clipper 5.3 and VO uses FlexIII as
standard. Flex3.12 which is the latest gives you the whole Flex toolkit
expect Compression in the VO2 version.

I for years would not have memos in my apps and with Flex I have no
hestitation in adding more. Where I have the need for say on the fly
fields in a DBF I can have a Memo take up 6 bytes from memory if
it is not used.

For a record in a DBF that needs say 30 extra fields for some reason
atttached to the Dbf record I can by placing the information in  Memo as
an Array or a comma delimted string and I pad out the fields using a
Transform of picture clause.

I am currently testing the Pre-Release of the VO2 version and it works
great.

Phil - Sherlock Software - Australia
-----------

Quote:

>On 27 Apr 1998 02:39:27 GMT, "Arsnio Fernandes (Tavinfor, Lda.)"

>>I need to develop a large system which needs a lot of memo fields and each
>>one will have some thousands of records.
>>I'm in doubt what RDD I should use: .DBF + .NTX + .DBT   or  should I use
>>CDX with DBFMEMO ?

>Do a web search for FlexFile;  it's the best memo field replacement
>RDD - I think some version of it is shipped with Clipper 5.3 and there
>is talk of a VO version I believe.

Fri, 13 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Need Advise: .NTX or .CDX (which is the best?)

wrote (possibly edited):

Quote:
>>Do a web search for FlexFile;  it's the best memo field replacement
>>RDD - I think some version of it is shipped with Clipper 5.3 and there
>>is talk of a VO version I believe.

>>Don

>From the alternatives orginaly listed - most people converted
>their ntx and dbt to cdx and fpt which are far superior.

Knut

DBFCDX comes free with Clipper, FlexFile costs $$$.  Flexfile is the
best memo field replacement available.  DBFCDX is definitely not
superior to FlexFile.

Don

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried."

Sat, 14 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Need Advise: .NTX or .CDX (which is the best?)

Quote:
>I'm in doubt what RDD I should use: .DBF + .NTX + .DBT
>or  should I use CDX with DBFMEMO ?

CDX/FPT are much better than NTX/FPT. The only advantage on the
side of NTXs is that simple SEEKs are a little bit faster than on CDX
in a single-user environment, on all other sides CDXs are far more
superior. They are compact, faster on network, have additional RDD
options, better compatibility (especially if you need access to data
from non-Clipper apps), etc. FPT memos are also better than DBT,
but if you really need large memos, you may think on other solutions
such as FlexFile.

--
Jovan Bulajic

Mon, 16 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Switching to CDX from NTX

2. Strange (index) GPF with CDX, but -- not with NTX

3. DBU for CDX, NSX. NTX, IDX

4. ntx to cdx problem

5. NTX or CDX on CLIPPER 5.2 ?

6. from ntx to cdx

7. NTX-CDX

8. SCHNOOKUMS does it all! CDX and NTX

9. dbf/ntx/cdx corruption problems

10. CDX and NTX with Clipper 5.3

11. NTX to CDX conversion

12. Driver ODBC for NTX/CDX with WINDOWS