Corruption Detected
Author Message
 Corruption Detected

I am having trouble locating the cause of corruption detected problem.
Is there a way I could write a utility to test if the indexes are
corrupted that way I could run it after suspected programs to determine
the cause?

Mon, 20 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Corruption Detected

Patrick,

What is the nature of the corruption detected problem (error numbers,
etc.) and what environment are you running in?

I just found a {*filter*} problem with Windows '95 stations using Novell
Intranetware Client that was generating 1210 errors.  It turned out that
the Intranetware Client file cache needed to be turned off and all of
the files reindexed.  (At least I hope that fixed it, there hasn't been
a problem today.)

Anyway, more information please.

Chuck (using Gloria's workstation)

Quote:

> I am having trouble locating the cause of corruption detected problem.
> Is there a way I could write a utility to test if the indexes are
> corrupted that way I could run it after suspected programs to determine
> the cause?

Mon, 20 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Corruption Detected

        One of my customers had an 'COMIX 8009 - Corruption Detected'
problem yesterday. The COMIX error message says that this may be caused by
a truncated index file (maybe by CHKDSK) or having too small a Stack.
My stack is set to 7168 (decimal) as suggested by Blinker 4.1, and
my customer 'swears' that nobody has done a CHKDSK recently.

        So I'm left with a p.o.ed customer, and I'm perplexed !!

        I've my system set so that I *do not* reindex this fairly big
files *unless* the dates of the database, and the associated .CDX
index file indicate that something is awry (i.e., date and time
checks on both files must meet my criteria).  I'll reindex if they
*need* it, but won't otherwise.

        Soooooo, I go caught on this one, because all the early checking
criteria were met, and my prog was about to start check the various
orders to determine if something deeper was awry, when, on opening the
database for 'order checking', the corruption error occurred.

        So, I'm interested too about 'corruption detected' reasons (and
especially for the COMIX/CLIPMORE package)

-Mel

Tue, 21 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Corruption Detected

Quote:
>I am having trouble locating the cause of corruption detected problem.
>Is there a way I could write a utility to test if the indexes are
>corrupted that way I could run it after suspected programs to determine
>the cause?

While this test will not test the entire file, it catches a lot of
problems.

Open file
select order
go top
go bott
select next order
go top
go bott
etc.

--

        Oasis WWW  http://www.iag.net/~philb/
 Oasis WWW Mirror  http://www.enterconnex.com/oasis/

             It's time to change my tag line.

Tue, 21 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Corruption Detected

This program is running on DOS or Windows 95 machines with no network
connections.  The problem occurs on two of my databases.  One has 6
indexes and contains on average 10,000 items.  The other file has 4
indexes and contains around 500 items.  These files are opened in some
areas with not all the indexes but my understanding is that's ok if you
don't update indexed fields.  In other areas records are added to the
file with no indexes open but after that, the index files are deleted
with the ERASE command and the rebuilt.

Quote:

> Patrick,

> What is the nature of the corruption detected problem (error numbers,
> etc.) and what environment are you running in?

> I just found a {*filter*} problem with Windows '95 stations using Novell
> Intranetware Client that was generating 1210 errors.  It turned out that
> the Intranetware Client file cache needed to be turned off and all of
> the files reindexed.  (At least I hope that fixed it, there hasn't been
> a problem today.)

> Anyway, more information please.

> Chuck (using Gloria's workstation)

Tue, 21 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Corruption Detected

If you open files that have indexes I think you should always open the indexes
- you want any action that happens to the table to be reflected in the index
relationships - if you changed a value on a non-index field that may be ok but
if you changed the number of physical records either more or less - you will
have corrupted indexes - or junk at least.

Kenga Software - BOX 2235 Port Elgin, Ontario Canada N0H 2C0

http://www.bmts.com/~ken.sutcliffe

Tue, 21 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. DBFNTX / 1210 Corruption Detected .... Revisited

2. Corruption detected

3. DBF File - Corruption detected

4. Urgent Help !! DBFNTX/1012 Corruption detected:

5. CORRUPTION DETECTED ERROR

6. corruption detected ; cl53b-dbfcdx-bl3.3

7. Error : DBFNTX/1210 Corruption Detected

8. Corruption Detected Error on NTX with 2 versions of Clipper 5.2

9. DBFNTX/1210 Corruption Detected error

10. Corruption Detected Help

11. Corruption detected on Novell.

12. corruption detected at dbcommit