Clipper File Security On WIN NT
Author Message
 Clipper File Security On WIN NT

I have an application that runs on customer sites.  The app is
programmed in v5.2, uses CA Tools, linked via Blinker v3.1.  A user has
all rights to the directory where this app resides on their server;
required by application.  Yesterday, a user used MS Excel to link a
spreadsheet to the app files; changed the structure of the files they
had linked; destroyed the files.

I would like to be able to password protect the files and/or the
directory and only give this password to the app program which would be
the only EXE to have access to these files.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions ?

It would be nice to be able to somehow lock out all of those tools that
exist at a customer's site.......a little knowledge has now become a
deadly thing.

Sat, 27 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper File Security On WIN NT
Use Advantage Database Server from http://www.advantagdatabase.com/ and put
the database tables in a directory that is marked read-only for everybody
except ADS.
--
David G. Holm, Managing Member
Joint Software Development L.L.C

Sat, 27 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper File Security On WIN NT

Quote:
>I have an application that runs on customer sites.  The app is
>programmed in v5.2, uses CA Tools, linked via Blinker v3.1.  A user has
>all rights to the directory where this app resides on their server;
>required by application.  Yesterday, a user used MS Excel to link a
>spreadsheet to the app files; changed the structure of the files they
>had linked; destroyed the files.

>I would like to be able to password protect the files and/or the
>directory and only give this password to the app program which would be
>the only EXE to have access to these files.

>Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions ?

>It would be nice to be able to somehow lock out all of those tools that
>exist at a customer's site.......a little knowledge has now become a
>deadly thing.

But profitable for you Ray. I would charge them BIG-TIME to correct
the mess. They might think twice about doing it again.

Practical solutions:-

1. Rename the .dbf files as .dum so Excel will not recognise them
straight off. You then simply use .dum as if it were .dbf.

2. Alter a single byte in the .dbf header after you close each
dum/.dbf. Reverse the process just before opening the file.

3. Open the files exclusively, so they cannot get at them while your
application is running.

4. Password protect the entire contents with something like NetLib
(memory correct? someone will correct me if not).

At the end of the day, the customer wants something that your current
application does not do...talk with him and see if you can get an
additional contract to write what (s)he needs.

Hope that helps,

Regards,

Ross McKenzie
ValuSoft
Melbourne Australia

Sun, 28 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper File Security On WIN NT

Quote:
> 2. Alter a single byte in the .dbf header after you close each
> dum/.dbf. Reverse the process just before opening the file.

Good suggestions except for this one. As soon as one legitimate user
opens the file, the byte is reset for all other users. They'll figure
that out quick.

Ray

Sun, 28 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper File Security On WIN NT

Quote:

>I have an application that runs on customer sites.  The app is
>programmed in v5.2, uses CA Tools, linked via Blinker v3.1.  A user has
>all rights to the directory where this app resides on their server;
>required by application.  Yesterday, a user used MS Excel to link a
>spreadsheet to the app files; changed the structure of the files they
>had linked; destroyed the files.

I have added an "EXPORT" feature to all of my apps.  It creates a dbf,
query.dbf, that the client can use.  In the old days, it would fire up Q&A,
Quattro Pro, or some other program automatically.  Of course, they paid for
this feature.

 It is helpful before the sale because a lot of people are afraid that your
new app will not be "Flexible".  You can always tell them that they can get
whatever they want in Excel, or Access but to leave the core database
updates to your program.

Mike M

Sun, 28 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Clipper's File() function in Win NT 4

2. File locking in Win 95/Win NT

3. Microfocus NetExpress COBOL Program and Distributed CICS on Windows NT File Access Security Problems

4. Clipper Win NT Problem (slow)

5. SP 6 Win NT -> slowing clipper programs

6. Clipper app and mouse on Win NT Workstat/ Win2K

7. ANNOUNCEMENT: OTC Terminal for Clipper/Win NT

8. Clipper and Win nt.

9. clipper on win9x workstation & win nt server

10. Clipper And WIN NT

11. printing problem Clipper 5.1 / Win NT 4

12. Clipper 5.3 run on Win NT/ Win98