Clipper 5.2E under Win95
Author Message
 Clipper 5.2E under Win95

Does anyone have experience with running Clipper 5.2E apps using DBFNTX,
linked with Blinker 3.30 under Windows 95A?

A company I am working for is about to upgrade to 95, and I need to
assess what impact it will have on their Clipper apps.

Sun, 30 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper 5.2E under Win95

Quote:

> Does anyone have experience with running Clipper 5.2E apps using DBFNTX,
> linked with Blinker 3.30 under Windows 95A?

I have some.

To begin with, understand that you are running the app in a "DOS Box."
The better that DOS box simulates a DOS runtime environment, the fewer
problems you will have.

Next thing to understand is that, under Win95, every 32-bit app gets its
own work space, while 8- and 16-bi apps share a single work space.  If
you are (or your client is) running exactly one 8- or 16-bit app, that
will not be a problem.  If there are multiple 8- and/or 16-bit apps
running on the machine in question, it is highly likelly that the
Clipper app will get stomped for no apparent reason.  In such a case,
consider a move to Blinker 4, with all the latest patches.

When running a Clipper app linked with Blinker 3.3 under Win95, I take
the following steps:

1)  Create a batch file, say C:\MYAPP\MYAPP.BAT, which looks something
like this:

SET COMSPEC=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\COMMAND.COM
SET CLIPPER=<whatever>
C:
CD \MYAPP
MYAPP.EXE
PAUSE
EXIT

2)  Create a shorcut with the folloing "Program" properties:

Cmd line:   C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\COMMAND.COM
Working:    C:\MYAPP
Batch File: C:\MYAPP\MYAPP.BAT

Use that shortcut to run the application.

There are some other concerns, such as native Clipper features (INKEY(),
ACHOICE(), MENU TO, etc.) which hog all the CPU time in a
multi-threading environment, but I have not needed to address them.
Phil Barnett is coordinating work on this topic.

--

     ^^^^^^^^
To send me e-mail, delete the "nowhere."

Mon, 31 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper 5.2E under Win95

Hi Larry,

I am asking approximately the same question - except that a user of some
software i wrote with 5.2e and Blinker3.10 some time ago has attempted
to run it under Win95 and have had no success.... I think you start
testing it now and try and discover any problem... I'm still waiting on
some help from some guys here.

peter leslie

Quote:

> Does anyone have experience with running Clipper 5.2E apps using
> DBFNTX,
> linked with Blinker 3.30 under Windows 95A?

> A company I am working for is about to upgrade to 95, and I need to
> assess what impact it will have on their Clipper apps.

Mon, 31 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper 5.2E under Win95

|> Hi Larry,
|>
|> I am asking approximately the same question - except that a user of
some
|> software i wrote with 5.2e and Blinker3.10 some time ago has
attempted
|> to run it under Win95 and have had no success.... I think you start
|> testing it now and try and discover any problem... I'm still waiting
on
|> some help from some guys here.
|>
|> peter leslie
|>

|> > Does anyone have experience with running Clipper 5.2E apps using
|> > DBFNTX,
|> > linked with Blinker 3.30 under Windows 95A?
|> >
|> > A company I am working for is about to upgrade to 95, and I need to
|> > assess what impact it will have on their Clipper apps.

I write commerical insurance software using 5.2E and blinker 3.20.  We
have customers all over the state of Florida, many of which are using
Window 95 with no problems.  On our development machines, we will 95 and
NT with no problems.  There must be something wrong in your code.  The
user base for 95 is constantly growing and there is a group of clipper
stuff out there.

Mel

Thu, 03 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper 5.2E under Win95

Quote:

> |> Hi Larry,
> |>
> |> I am asking approximately the same question - except that a user of
> some
> |> software i wrote with 5.2e and Blinker3.10 some time ago has
> attempted
> |> to run it under Win95 and have had no success.... I think you start
> |> testing it now and try and discover any problem... I'm still waiting
> on
> |> some help from some guys here.
> |>
> |> peter leslie

> I write commerical insurance software using 5.2E and blinker 3.20.  We
> have customers all over the state of Florida, many of which are using
> Window 95 with no problems.  On our development machines, we will 95 and
> NT with no problems.  There must be something wrong in your code.  The
> user base for 95 is constantly growing and there is a group of clipper
> stuff out there.

I write with 5.2e and blinker 3.2. I also do all my development within a
DOS window in Windows 95. The only problem I've experienced is that the
de{*filter*} doesn't want to work.
but that's another message...

Sun, 06 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper 5.2E under Win95

Quote:
>I write with 5.2e and blinker 3.2. I also do all my development within a
>DOS window in Windows 95. The only problem I've experienced is that the
>de{*filter*} doesn't want to work.
>but that's another message...

There was a problem with Blinker 3.2, fixed with a free patch to 3.3
at their web site.

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Change your link script line from

LIB CLD

FILE CLD.LIB

and it will work in protected mode.

---

             WWW   http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~philb/
        FTP Site  ftp://ftp.iag.net/pub/clipper

And for you automated email spammers out there,
here is a list of the current board of the
Federal Communications Commission.

And let's help you send some spam to the USPS, too:

Mon, 07 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper 5.2E under Win95

I think this could be a problem w/ the machin, i.e. if that's an AMD Ksome
.. check it out....

Quote:

> > some
> > attempted
> > on

> > I write commerical insurance software using 5.2E and blinker 3.20.  We
> > have customers all over the state of Florida, many of which are using
> > Window 95 with no problems.  On our development machines, we will 95
and
> > NT with no problems.  There must be something wrong in your code.  The
> > user base for 95 is constantly growing and there is a group of clipper
> > stuff out there.

> I write with 5.2e and blinker 3.2. I also do all my development within a
> DOS window in Windows 95. The only problem I've experienced is that the
> de{*filter*} doesn't want to work.
> but that's another message...

Tue, 15 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper 5.2E under Win95

An .rtlink(ed) app I wrote works well on several PCs runnung Winows 3.1,
WFWG 3.11 and Windows 95 but will NOT run on an IBM Aptive running Windows
3.11. You're problem may be system based rather than a Blinker problem.

Sun, 20 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper 5.2E under Win95

In article , "Ken says...

Quote:

>An .rtlink(ed) app I wrote works well on several PCs runnung Winows 3.1,
>WFWG 3.11 and Windows 95 but will NOT run on an IBM Aptive running Windows
>3.11. You're problem may be system based rather than a Blinker problem.

The problem may be system related but it isn't system based because the problem
is not with the system, but rather in utilizing it.  Some people utilize it just
fine or it wouldn't exist for long.

If the system exists and my customer wants to run under it and my linker isn't
getting the job done, I'd say my most likely solution is with the linker.
Microsoft isn't going to change, CA isn't going to change, the customer isn't
going to change, so that just leaves me and the linker.

I've been having success with Blinker 4.1 (I haven't tried a 32-bit fat on a Win
95 network).

Richard Mitchell

Sun, 20 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. CLIPPER 5.2e under Win95 - DOS Error 55

2. Clipper 5.2e and Win95 network

3. Clipper 5.2e and Win95 dos error 4

4. Help with Clipper 5.2e and Win95

5. Clipper 5.2e Debugger under Win95

6. clipper 5.2e win95 dosbox printing

7. Win95 Freeze up with Clipper 5.2e

8. Win95, NT 4.0 Server, Clipper 5.2e - NEED HELP - URGENT

9. Clipper 5.2e apps and Win 3.11 / Win95

10. Clipper 5.2E Debugger & Win95

11. Win95, Cyrix 6x86, and Clipper 5.2e

12. How do you access LFN's in Win95 from CA-Clipper 5.2e