Meaning of "set clipper=f55"
Author Message
 Meaning of "set clipper=f55"

as title

Sat, 17 Apr 2004 14:24:43 GMT
 Meaning of "set clipper=f55"
This sets a DOS environment to allow clipper applications to use up to 55
file handles simultaneously.  This also needs to be set in
config.sys/config.nt unless you're using Win9x which sets this by default to
60.

Quote:
> as title

Sat, 17 Apr 2004 16:32:26 GMT
 Meaning of "set clipper=f55"

Quote:

>This sets a DOS environment to allow clipper applications to use up to 55
>file handles simultaneously.  This also needs to be set in
>config.sys/config.nt unless you're using Win9x which sets this by default
>60.

I have the impression that the default is lower (somewhere between 40 and
50): I currently have a SET CLIPPER=50, and have problems if I leave it out.

Dick

Sat, 17 Apr 2004 17:02:20 GMT
 Meaning of "set clipper=f55"
From page 202 of the Windows 95 Resource Kit:

"Files = Specifies the number of file handle buffers to create.  This is
specifically for files opened using MS-DOS calls and is not required by
Windows 95.  It is included for compatibility with older applicaitons.  The
default value is 60."
On page 203 it also says that "Entries for files=, buffers=, and stacks=
must be set in config.sys to at least the default values in io.sys."

This is the OS default setting and has nothing to do with setting the
clipper=f value.  Both need to be set to the values needed by your
application.

In general the clipper=f value should be 5 fewer than the config.sys value.
And, because of a long-since-corrected error in some older versions of DOS,
many will tell you the clipper=f value also needs to be an odd number.

.com...

Quote:

> >This sets a DOS environment to allow clipper applications to use up to 55
> >file handles simultaneously.  This also needs to be set in
> >config.sys/config.nt unless you're using Win9x which sets this by default
> >60.

> I have the impression that the default is lower (somewhere between 40 and
> 50): I currently have a SET CLIPPER=50, and have problems if I leave it
out.

>{*filter*}

Sun, 18 Apr 2004 01:51:17 GMT
 Meaning of "set clipper=f55"
Steve,

As it turns out, my memory failed me when I wrote the message below - my
problem was with the CONFIG.SYS FILES= setting.

My CONFIG.SYS (W'95) contains a FILES= which is arbitrarily set to 60.

My Clipper 5.01 application fails with a DOS error 4 if I leave out this
line.

Hence the reason why I had doubts about the default.

Dick

Quote:

>From page 202 of the Windows 95 Resource Kit:

>"Files = Specifies the number of file handle buffers to create.  This is
>specifically for files opened using MS-DOS calls and is not required by
>Windows 95.  It is included for compatibility with older applicaitons.  The
>default value is 60."
>On page 203 it also says that "Entries for files=, buffers=, and stacks=
>must be set in config.sys to at least the default values in io.sys."

>This is the OS default setting and has nothing to do with setting the
>clipper=f value.  Both need to be set to the values needed by your
>application.

>In general the clipper=f value should be 5 fewer than the config.sys value.
>And, because of a long-since-corrected error in some older versions of DOS,
>many will tell you the clipper=f value also needs to be an odd number.

>.com...

>> >This sets a DOS environment to allow clipper applications to use up to
55
>> >file handles simultaneously.  This also needs to be set in
>> >config.sys/config.nt unless you're using Win9x which sets this by
default
>> >60.

>> I have the impression that the default is lower (somewhere between 40 and
>> 50): I currently have a SET CLIPPER=50, and have problems if I leave it
>out.

>>{*filter*}

Sun, 18 Apr 2004 04:49:33 GMT
 Meaning of "set clipper=f55"
Popeye,

What others have failed to mention is that the proper syntax for setting
the maximum number of files that a Clipper app will open is:
SET CLIPPER=//F:55
This assumes that the developer has not set up a special name for the
environment variable.

You can also achieve the same results by adding //F:55 as a startup
parameter as in:
?appname? //F:55

Lee

Quote:
> as title

Sun, 18 Apr 2004 02:31:40 GMT
 Meaning of "set clipper=f55"
Steve,

(Got an error while posting the following, not sure if it went out, so here
goes again)

As it turns out, my memory failed me when I wrote the message below - my
problem was with the CONFIG.SYS FILES= setting, not with SET CLIPPER=

My CONFIG.SYS (W'95) contains a FILES= which is arbitrarily set to 60.

My Clipper 5.01 application fails with a DOS error 4 if I leave out this
line.

Hence the reason why I had doubts about the default.

Dick

Quote:

>From page 202 of the Windows 95 Resource Kit:

>"Files = Specifies the number of file handle buffers to create.  This is
>specifically for files opened using MS-DOS calls and is not required by
>Windows 95.  It is included for compatibility with older applicaitons.  The
>default value is 60."
>On page 203 it also says that "Entries for files=, buffers=, and stacks=
>must be set in config.sys to at least the default values in io.sys."

>This is the OS default setting and has nothing to do with setting the
>clipper=f value.  Both need to be set to the values needed by your
>application.

>In general the clipper=f value should be 5 fewer than the config.sys value.
>And, because of a long-since-corrected error in some older versions of DOS,
>many will tell you the clipper=f value also needs to be an odd number.

>.com...

>> >This sets a DOS environment to allow clipper applications to use up to
55
>> >file handles simultaneously.  This also needs to be set in
>> >config.sys/config.nt unless you're using Win9x which sets this by
default
>> >60.

>> I have the impression that the default is lower (somewhere between 40 and
>> 50): I currently have a SET CLIPPER=50, and have problems if I leave it
>out.

>>{*filter*}

Sun, 18 Apr 2004 06:37:46 GMT
 Meaning of "set clipper=f55"
I just did some tests on all this.  DOS window in Win98, Clipper 5.2e,
Blinker 4.10, configsys has files=225

Using this test for max files openable:
procedure main()
local i := 1
local nHandle
while .T.
    nhandle := FOpen("NUL")
    If nHandle > 0
        ? ++i
    Else
        Exit
    Endif
Enddo
Return

0) no set clipper at all ==> 16
1) set clipper=f60 ==> 56
2) set clipper=f:60 ==> 56
3) set clipper=//f:60 ==> 56
4) set clipper=f100 ==> 96
5) set clipper=f225 ==> 221
6) set clipper=f230 ==> 226
7) set clipper=f255 ==>248

I then set files=125 in config.sys and ran the same values:

0) no set clipper at all ==> 16
1) set clipper=f60 ==> 56
2) set clipper=f100 ==> 96
3) set clipper=f225 ==> 149
4) set clipper=f230 ==> 149
5) set clipper=f255 ==> 149

So, it appears that all of the popular forms of syntax for the clipper
environment variable for file handles work.
It also appears that Win98 ignores the files=225 setting in config.sys, but
not the files=125.

6) set clipper=f152 ==> 148
7) set clipper=f153 ==> 149
8) set clipper=f154 ==> 149

Looking closer, it appears that Win98 adds 28 to whatever the files setting
is.  Go Figure!

Quote:
> Steve,

> As it turns out, my memory failed me when I wrote the message below - my
> problem was with the CONFIG.SYS FILES= setting.

> My CONFIG.SYS (W'95) contains a FILES= which is arbitrarily set to 60.

> My Clipper 5.01 application fails with a DOS error 4 if I leave out this
> line.

> Hence the reason why I had doubts about the default.

>{*filter*}

> >From page 202 of the Windows 95 Resource Kit:

> >"Files = Specifies the number of file handle buffers to create.  This is
> >specifically for files opened using MS-DOS calls and is not required by
> >Windows 95.  It is included for compatibility with older applicaitons.
The
> >default value is 60."
> >On page 203 it also says that "Entries for files=, buffers=, and stacks=
> >must be set in config.sys to at least the default values in io.sys."

> >This is the OS default setting and has nothing to do with setting the
> >clipper=f value.  Both need to be set to the values needed by your
> >application.

> >In general the clipper=f value should be 5 fewer than the config.sys
value.
> >And, because of a long-since-corrected error in some older versions of
DOS,
> >many will tell you the clipper=f value also needs to be an odd number.

> >.com...

> 55
> default

> >> I have the impression that the default is lower (somewhere between 40
and
> >> 50): I currently have a SET CLIPPER=50, and have problems if I leave it
> >out.

> >>{*filter*}

Sun, 18 Apr 2004 13:05:06 GMT
 Meaning of "set clipper=f55"

Quote:

>I just did some tests on all this.  DOS window in Win98, Clipper 5.2e,
>Blinker 4.10, configsys has files=225

[program source removed]
Quote:
>0) no set clipper at all ==> 16
>1) set clipper=f60 ==> 56
>2) set clipper=f:60 ==> 56
>3) set clipper=//f:60 ==> 56

[more results removed]

Quote:

>So, it appears that all of the popular forms of syntax for the clipper
>environment variable for file handles work.

My 5.01 NG only mentions the SET CLIPPER=F:60 notation; the notation with
the "//" is only mentioned if the parameter is specified directly after the
application program command line. The S'87 NG says it should be SET
CLIPPER=F60 (so without the colon). I believe that the colon (:) can also be
used instead of the semi-colon (;) as a separator between the various SET
CLIPPER options.

Quote:
>It also appears that Win98 ignores the files=225 setting in config.sys,
>but
>not the files=125.

>6) set clipper=f152 ==> 148
>7) set clipper=f153 ==> 149
>8) set clipper=f154 ==> 149

>Looking closer, it appears that Win98 adds 28 to whatever the files
>setting
>is.  Go Figure!

I did some tests like this some time ago, and couldn't fullyunderstand the
results either.

Coming back to the question what is the default FILES= setting. In ME it is
apparently only 30 (see the MicroSoft article on:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q274/6/46.ASP

Dick

Sun, 18 Apr 2004 17:06:45 GMT
 Meaning of "set clipper=f55"
The OP did not mention what version he was using. In fact the OP was so
terse one would think he was afraid of the keyboard.

My comments were based on the documentation for 5.2e or 5.3b, where the
"//" and the ":"  are indicated.

Cheers.

Lee

n-it.com...

Quote:
> My 5.01 NG only mentions the SET CLIPPER=F:60 notation; the notation
with
> the "//" is only mentioned if the parameter is specified directly
after the
> application program command line. The S'87 NG says it should be SET
> CLIPPER=F60 (so without the colon). I believe that the colon (:) can
also be
> used instead of the semi-colon (;) as a separator between the various
SET
> CLIPPER options.

Sun, 18 Apr 2004 22:44:47 GMT
 Meaning of "set clipper=f55"
I added two additional situations to my testing:
Nothing in config.sys at all.
0) no set clipper at all ==> 16
1) set clipper=f:60 ==> 33

So, the real default is 37 not 60 like it says in the reference I cited.

No files= line in config.sys.
0) no set clipper at all ==> 16
1) set clipper=f:60 ==> 34

Interesting that this conditino yields one more file handle.

.com...

> >I just did some tests on all this.  DOS window in Win98, Clipper 5.2e,
> >Blinker 4.10, configsys has files=225
> [program source removed]
> >0) no set clipper at all ==> 16
> >1) set clipper=f60 ==> 56
> >2) set clipper=f:60 ==> 56
> >3) set clipper=//f:60 ==> 56
> [more results removed]

> >So, it appears that all of the popular forms of syntax for the clipper
> >environment variable for file handles work.

> My 5.01 NG only mentions the SET CLIPPER=F:60 notation; the notation with
> the "//" is only mentioned if the parameter is specified directly after
the
> application program command line. The S'87 NG says it should be SET
> CLIPPER=F60 (so without the colon). I believe that the colon (:) can also
be
> used instead of the semi-colon (;) as a separator between the various SET
> CLIPPER options.

> >It also appears that Win98 ignores the files=225 setting in config.sys,
> >but
> >not the files=125.

> >6) set clipper=f152 ==> 148
> >7) set clipper=f153 ==> 149
> >8) set clipper=f154 ==> 149

> >Looking closer, it appears that Win98 adds 28 to whatever the files
> >setting
> >is.  Go Figure!

> I did some tests like this some time ago, and couldn't fullyunderstand the
> results either.

> Coming back to the question what is the default FILES= setting. In ME it
is
> apparently only 30 (see the MicroSoft article on:
> http://www.*-*-*.com/

>{*filter*}

Tue, 20 Apr 2004 06:33:40 GMT
 Meaning of "set clipper=f55"
I've had the problem with "DOS error 4" in bigger applications, in this
cases I've told the clients to increase files in config.sys (or config.nt)
but I've never used the "set clipper=fXX"  ?? I't works just fine without
this command, at least with Win 9x and WinNt.

Quote:
> I added two additional situations to my testing:
> Nothing in config.sys at all.
> 0) no set clipper at all ==> 16
> 1) set clipper=f:60 ==> 33

> So, the real default is 37 not 60 like it says in the reference I cited.

> No files= line in config.sys.
> 0) no set clipper at all ==> 16
> 1) set clipper=f:60 ==> 34

> Interesting that this conditino yields one more file handle.

Quote:
> .com...

> > >I just did some tests on all this.  DOS window in Win98, Clipper 5.2e,
> > >Blinker 4.10, configsys has files=225
> > [program source removed]
> > >0) no set clipper at all ==> 16
> > >1) set clipper=f60 ==> 56
> > >2) set clipper=f:60 ==> 56
> > >3) set clipper=//f:60 ==> 56
> > [more results removed]

> > >So, it appears that all of the popular forms of syntax for the clipper
> > >environment variable for file handles work.

> > My 5.01 NG only mentions the SET CLIPPER=F:60 notation; the notation
with
> > the "//" is only mentioned if the parameter is specified directly after
> the
> > application program command line. The S'87 NG says it should be SET
> > CLIPPER=F60 (so without the colon). I believe that the colon (:) can
also
> be
> > used instead of the semi-colon (;) as a separator between the various
SET
> > CLIPPER options.

> > >It also appears that Win98 ignores the files=225 setting in config.sys,
> > >but
> > >not the files=125.

> > >6) set clipper=f152 ==> 148
> > >7) set clipper=f153 ==> 149
> > >8) set clipper=f154 ==> 149

> > >Looking closer, it appears that Win98 adds 28 to whatever the files
> > >setting
> > >is.  Go Figure!

> > I did some tests like this some time ago, and couldn't fullyunderstand
the
> > results either.

> > Coming back to the question what is the default FILES= setting. In ME it
> is
> > apparently only 30 (see the MicroSoft article on:
> > http://www.*-*-*.com/

> >{*filter*}

Wed, 21 Apr 2004 00:33:00 GMT
 Meaning of "set clipper=f55"
Blinker gives you the option of "burning in" Clipper environmental settings
which obviates the need for set clipper=.  Believe me, you're setting the
file handles value somehow, or you'd be limited to 16 open files.

Quote:
> I've had the problem with "DOS error 4" in bigger applications, in this
> cases I've told the clients to increase files in config.sys (or config.nt)
> but I've never used the "set clipper=fXX"  ?? I't works just fine without
> this command, at least with Win 9x and WinNt.

> > I added two additional situations to my testing:
> > Nothing in config.sys at all.
> > 0) no set clipper at all ==> 16
> > 1) set clipper=f:60 ==> 33

> > So, the real default is 37 not 60 like it says in the reference I cited.

> > No files= line in config.sys.
> > 0) no set clipper at all ==> 16
> > 1) set clipper=f:60 ==> 34

> > Interesting that this conditino yields one more file handle.

> > .com...

> > > [program source removed]
> > > [more results removed]

> > > My 5.01 NG only mentions the SET CLIPPER=F:60 notation; the notation
> with
> > > the "//" is only mentioned if the parameter is specified directly
after
> > the
> > > application program command line. The S'87 NG says it should be SET
> > > CLIPPER=F60 (so without the colon). I believe that the colon (:) can
> also
> > be
> > > used instead of the semi-colon (;) as a separator between the various
> SET
> > > CLIPPER options.

> > > I did some tests like this some time ago, and couldn't fullyunderstand
> the
> > > results either.

> > > Coming back to the question what is the default FILES= setting. In ME
it
> > is
> > > apparently only 30 (see the MicroSoft article on:
> > > http://www.*-*-*.com/

> > >{*filter*}

Wed, 21 Apr 2004 02:57:46 GMT
 Meaning of "set clipper=f55"
I've checked my old link files, somtime around 1998 I removed the line
"BLINKER EXECUTABLE CLIPPER=F99" from all my link files and the programs
still running ?

Quote:
> Blinker gives you the option of "burning in" Clipper environmental
settings
> which obviates the need for set clipper=.  Believe me, you're setting the
> file handles value somehow, or you'd be limited to 16 open files.

> > I've had the problem with "DOS error 4" in bigger applications, in this
> > cases I've told the clients to increase files in config.sys (or
config.nt)
> > but I've never used the "set clipper=fXX"  ?? I't works just fine
without
> > this command, at least with Win 9x and WinNt.

> > > I added two additional situations to my testing:
> > > Nothing in config.sys at all.
> > > 0) no set clipper at all ==> 16
> > > 1) set clipper=f:60 ==> 33

> > > So, the real default is 37 not 60 like it says in the reference I
cited.

> > > No files= line in config.sys.
> > > 0) no set clipper at all ==> 16
> > > 1) set clipper=f:60 ==> 34

> > > Interesting that this conditino yields one more file handle.

> > > .com...

> 5.2e,

> clipper

> > with
> after
> > > the
> > also
> > > be
> > SET

> config.sys,

> > the

ME
> it
> > > is

Wed, 21 Apr 2004 08:13:07 GMT
 Meaning of "set clipper=f55"
Some versions of linkers automatically set this parameter to 250 or so.
Seems to me that Causeway does. I'd imagine that Blinker does the same,
although I do not recall.

Ray

Quote:
> I've checked my old link files, somtime around 1998 I removed the line
> "BLINKER EXECUTABLE CLIPPER=F99" from all my link files and the programs
> still running ?

> > Blinker gives you the option of "burning in" Clipper environmental
> settings
> > which obviates the need for set clipper=.  Believe me, you're setting
the
> > file handles value somehow, or you'd be limited to 16 open files.

> > > I've had the problem with "DOS error 4" in bigger applications, in
this
> > > cases I've told the clients to increase files in config.sys (or
> config.nt)
> > > but I've never used the "set clipper=fXX"  ?? I't works just fine
> without
> > > this command, at least with Win 9x and WinNt.

> cited.

> > 5.2e,

> > clipper

> > > with
> > after
SET
can
> > > also
> various
> > > SET

> > config.sys,

> fullyunderstand
> > > the

> ME
> > it

Wed, 21 Apr 2004 11:26:43 GMT

 [ 17 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Help: "Set Focus" in Clipper 5.3

2. who set "set tz=....." command orignally

3. gsub means "core dump"?

4. Meaning of "Relate"

5. Meaning of "threshold" in Peak Detector

6. Calculating Average Values using "Mean" vi

7. what does mean "Plug-ins"?

8. HELP!: what does "?=" do or mean

9. OT: Meaning of the word "free"

10. OT: Meaning of the word "free"