Help needed importing Clipper dbf files
Author Message
 Help needed importing Clipper dbf files

I need to import some .dbf files which have been created/edited using a
Clipper program (I believe it's Summer '87)

The problem I have is an error message which tells me that the dbf has an
invalid memo field format.

Is there any way in which I can import the data into Access or attach the
dbf files as tables?  Is there a conversion program which will convert the
Clipper dbf files into ordinary dbf files so that I can then attach them to
Access?

If anyone can help, I would be extremely grateful.

By the way, I do not have a copy of Clipper.

Thanks

Karen Howard

Mon, 25 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Help needed importing Clipper dbf files

Quote:

> I need to import some .dbf files which have been created/edited using a
> Clipper program (I believe it's Summer '87)

> The problem I have is an error message which tells me that the dbf has an
> invalid memo field format.

> Is there any way in which I can import the data into Access or attach the
> dbf files as tables?  Is there a conversion program which will convert the
> Clipper dbf files into ordinary dbf files so that I can then attach them to
> Access?

> If anyone can help, I would be extremely grateful.

> By the way, I do not have a copy of Clipper.

> Thanks

> Karen Howard

Hi Karen.
If you don't need the memo field you can change the first byte of the
DBF
to 03 which means that it's a DBF without memo. BTW what is the
extension of the memo file? If it's SMT I could do the conversion for
you.
I hope this help
Antonio

Tue, 26 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Help needed importing Clipper dbf files

|>I need to import some .dbf files which have been created/edited using a
|>Clipper program (I believe it's Summer '87)
|>
|>The problem I have is an error message which tells me that the dbf has an
|>invalid memo field format.
|>
|>Is there any way in which I can import the data into Access or attach the
|>dbf files as tables?  Is there a conversion program which will convert the
|>Clipper dbf files into ordinary dbf files so that I can then attach them to
|>Access?
|>
|>If anyone can help, I would be extremely grateful.
|>
|>By the way, I do not have a copy of Clipper.
|>
|>Thanks
|>
|>Karen Howard

Clipper files are just dbase III files.  Just as import as such.

Sat, 30 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Help needed importing Clipper dbf files

Its true that Clipper files are dBASE III files however Clipper
memo fields are NOT compatible with dBASE III or anything bu
Clipper for that matter.  You could write a Clipper program to do
the conversion or you might try a product like Data Junction which
is designed to do these kinds of things.

--

Japanese and English-language multi-media PC's ready to run with
Microsoft Office (English & Japanese), Internet Explorer (E & J)

Sun, 31 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Help - Clipper 5 DBF files not recognised by other applications - Job_divn.dbf (0/1)

2. Help - Clipper 5 DBF files not recognised by other applications - Job_divn.dbf (1/1)

3. clipper code to import ASCII to a .dbf file

4. Which is best DBF editor for viewing Clipper based dbf files( windows)

5. HELP ! Clipper DBF file header Corruption

6. Help Me to Solve big dbf files with clipper

7. Importing Clipper DBF's

8. Importing Clipper DBF's into Microsoft Access

9. Help, need to encrypting .dbf files

10. Absolute Clipper NEWBEE: need to import data from clipper application

11. Problem with import of DBF files in CW20

12. Converting/Importing a *.dbf file