making the exe readonly / exe in a network
Author Message
 making the exe readonly / exe in a network

Once I used to have to care about the exe being read only if it had to
be used from different workstations. Gradually I lost that care and
now I find that in my own win98 network it doesn't matter anymore.

I can remember having trouble with some customer sometime, I think he
was using Novell then.
Can anyone tell be if these are problems from the past.

What is the expert opinion about the choice bew{*filter*} exes locally on
workstations or using one exe on the 'server'. The latter is far more
easy for me. I noticed no problems in the occasions I did it like this
until now.
I use protected mode exe' s now, does that make a difference?
Speed is excellent on pentiums.

Sat, 05 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 making the exe readonly / exe in a network
On Tue, 18 Apr 2000 21:29:35 +0200, Hans H.

Quote:

>Once I used to have to care about the exe being read only if it had to
>be used from different workstations. Gradually I lost that care and
>now I find that in my own win98 network it doesn't matter anymore.

>I can remember having trouble with some customer sometime, I think he
>was using Novell then.
>Can anyone tell be if these are problems from the past.

>What is the expert opinion about the choice bew{*filter*} exes locally on
>workstations or using one exe on the 'server'. The latter is far more
>easy for me. I noticed no problems in the occasions I did it like this
>until now.
>I use protected mode exe' s now, does that make a difference?
>Speed is excellent on pentiums.

In Novell env. just goto dos and
type   flag file_name +ro

or flag to see all files

or flag /?  for help

or in windows just click with right button and say read-only

or in dos     attrib file_name +r

Sat, 05 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 making the exe readonly / exe in a network
In the days of Lantastic this was a common method of dealing with DOSerror
5 - share violation.

You do not have to mark the EXE readonly on all Windows network products,

Phil McGuinness
------------------

Quote:
> Once I used to have to care about the exe being read only if it had to
> be used from different workstations. Gradually I lost that care and
> now I find that in my own win98 network it doesn't matter anymore.

> I can remember having trouble with some customer sometime, I think he
> was using Novell then.
> Can anyone tell be if these are problems from the past.

> What is the expert opinion about the choice bew{*filter*} exes locally on
> workstations or using one exe on the 'server'. The latter is far more
> easy for me. I noticed no problems in the occasions I did it like this
> until now.
> I use protected mode exe' s now, does that make a difference?
> Speed is excellent on pentiums.

Sun, 06 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 making the exe readonly / exe in a network
Hi Hans,

Quote:
>Once I used to have to care about the exe being read only if it had to
>be used from different workstations. Gradually I lost that care and
>now I find that in my own win98 network it doesn't matter anymore.

>I can remember having trouble with some customer sometime, I think he
>was using Novell then.
>Can anyone tell be if these are problems from the past.

We use EXOSPACE and disable the overlay feature to prevent network
error. One of the problem are due to each PC workstation need an open
file handle to the executable to do overlaying.

Quote:
>What is the expert opinion about the choice bew{*filter*} exes locally on
>workstations or using one exe on the 'server'. The latter is far more
>easy for me. I noticed no problems in the occasions I did it like this
>until now.

I dare not called my self an expert, but I can give my opinion. :-)

If your are having speed problem when loading executable from file
server, but not data file. Check is't any anti-virus or firewall
installed at the file server, if so remove it, or get some real expert
to reset the setting of the anti-virus or firewall.

If client refuse to remove and don't know how to set it, then the only
choice are have a local copy of the executable. If you feel having a
local copy are troublesome when doing update. Write a small utility
doing auto-update when copy of executable are updated at file server.
If you need it, I can give you what we are using in our
application(Sync.prg).

HTH,
Wong

On Tue, 18 Apr 2000 21:29:35 +0200, Hans H.

Quote:

>Once I used to have to care about the exe being read only if it had to
>be used from different workstations. Gradually I lost that care and
>now I find that in my own win98 network it doesn't matter anymore.

>I can remember having trouble with some customer sometime, I think he
>was using Novell then.
>Can anyone tell be if these are problems from the past.

>What is the expert opinion about the choice bew{*filter*} exes locally on
>workstations or using one exe on the 'server'. The latter is far more
>easy for me. I noticed no problems in the occasions I did it like this
>until now.
>I use protected mode exe' s now, does that make a difference?
>Speed is excellent on pentiums.

Mon, 07 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 making the exe readonly / exe in a network
Hi Phil,

Just to say hello. :-)

Regards,
Wong

Mon, 07 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. c5print.exe and c5printx.exe cannot run in the root directory of a network drive

2. 32-Bit NMAKE.EXE, LINK.EXE, LIB.EXE, & RC.EXE

3. cscn.exe and cvvt.exe

4. ABC Exe Called From Clarion Exe

5. Splitting a big .exe in a smale.exe and many ddl's in C4b

6. ntvdm.exe - Application Error when running C55EE.exe

7. close exe form another exe

8. need cw21lpex.exe or c4lpex.exe

9. Running one EXE from another EXE

10. GPF in EXE calling EXE

11. EXE + DLL ----> EXE

12. What are C5CPPX.EXE, C5NCP.EXE, etc ?