ftp.demon.co.uk/pub/ibmpc/win3/apps/vo 
Author Message
 ftp.demon.co.uk/pub/ibmpc/win3/apps/vo

Does anyone has any trouble accessing this site? It takes me forever to
connect and when it finally does, it tells me that there is too much
anonymous users. I accessed it once and tried downloading TABCON, it took
hours to download and, at the end (literally next morning), the site
couldn't complete the send (at 98% completion)???

--
Francis Paquin                
Programmer-Analyst                        
University of Ottawa



Mon, 09 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 ftp.demon.co.uk/pub/ibmpc/win3/apps/vo

Francis,

I just connected from the Netherlands to this site (08:10 UTC)
Connecting (from our LAN via ISDN)directly into the vo directory took 15
seconds. Downloading TABCON.ZIP took 6 seconds...

- Jan Bos

Quote:

> Does anyone has any trouble accessing this site? It takes me forever to
> connect and when it finally does, it tells me that there is too much
> anonymous users. I accessed it once and tried downloading TABCON, it took
> hours to download and, at the end (literally next morning), the site
> couldn't complete the send (at 98% completion)???

> --
> Francis Paquin
> Programmer-Analyst
> University of Ottawa




Tue, 10 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 ftp.demon.co.uk/pub/ibmpc/win3/apps/vo


Quote:
>Does anyone has any trouble accessing this site? It takes me forever to
>connect and when it finally does, it tells me that there is too much
>anonymous users. I accessed it once and tried downloading TABCON, it took
>hours to download and, at the end (literally next morning), the site
>couldn't complete the send (at 98% completion)???

>--

Francis

Francis

I uploaded the files to this location but being a Demon user I guess I must
get some sort o preferential treatment when using the site. Demon is the
biggest provider in the UK and is very busy during the evenings. The best
time for access would be outside the hours of 18:00 and 23:00 GMT.

regards

Trevor
_______________________________________
Trevor Smith        
Ashdown Software
Southampton, UK

CIS  101674,305
____________________________________



Tue, 10 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 ftp.demon.co.uk/pub/ibmpc/win3/apps/vo


Quote:


>>Does anyone has any trouble accessing this site? It takes me forever to
>>connect and when it finally does, it tells me that there is too much
>>anonymous users. I accessed it once and tried downloading TABCON, it took
>>hours to download and, at the end (literally next morning), the site
>>couldn't complete the send (at 98% completion)???

>I uploaded the files to this location but being a Demon user I guess I must
>get some sort o preferential treatment when using the site. Demon is the
>biggest provider in the UK and is very busy during the evenings. The best
>time for access would be outside the hours of 18:00 and 23:00 GMT.

The guy in Canada said it was really slow.  The guy in the Netherlands
said it was quite fast.  The site is in the U.K.

The bytes obviously move over the Atlantic much more slowly than
acroos the [ignorant Yank needs help filling in name of body of
water separating the Netherlands and the U.K.]...

If this continues to be a big problem we can discuss setting up
a mirror of this site, somewhere in the Western Hemisphere.

--
Mark W. Schumann  | ObCDA: Rep. Martin Hoke is a poopy-head.



Wed, 11 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 ftp.demon.co.uk/pub/ibmpc/win3/apps/vo



Quote:
>The guy in Canada said it was really slow.  The guy in the Netherlands
>said it was quite fast.  The site is in the U.K.

>The bytes obviously move over the Atlantic much more slowly than
>acroos the [ignorant Yank needs help filling in name of body of
>water separating the Netherlands and the U.K.]...

>If this continues to be a big problem we can discuss setting up
>a mirror of this site, somewhere in the Western Hemisphere.

>--
>Mark W. Schumann  | ObCDA: Rep. Martin Hoke is a poopy-head.

Mark

The ditch between us and the Nederlands is called the English Channel (unless
you are French of course in which case you might call it La Manche)!

Demon is the biggest Internet provider here in the UK, and traffic gets very
heavy between the hours of 17:00 and 23:00 GMT. During the day access is
usually very good, especially before 12:00 GMT. Connectivity from the UK to
the USA is usually very good as Demon have a number of permanent links.

Thinking about the stretch of water between here and the Nederlands, it could
be the Southern North Sea. I have no idea what the Dutch call it?

Best regards

Trevor
_______________________________________
Trevor Smith        
Ashdown Software
Southampton, UK

CIS  101674,305
____________________________________



Sat, 14 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 5 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. VO - Latest uploads to VO ftp site at ftp.demon.co.uk/pub/ibmpc/win3/apps/vo

2. Squeak FTP site established: ftp://ftp.create.ucsb.edu/pub/Smalltalk/Squeak

3. My ftp site (ftp://ftp.iag.net/pub/clipper)

4. Reading c.l.f from demon.co.uk?

5. Public complaint against Mark Brennan brennan@demon.co.uk

6. compiling ftp.dei.isep.ipp.pt/pub/forth/various/basic.txt with win32forth

7. ftp.iag.net/pub/clipper/patch/ca_clipper_mirror directory

8. [Mailer-Daemon@ignoramus.co.uk: Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender]

9. http://www.ndirect.co.uk/~aventech

10. Need FTP sites for Smalltalk-80 (IBMPC and/or Mac)

11. UK-lispers, London pub-meet, thursday June 19th

12. /pub/ETHOberon/Macintosh/beta010806/

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software