Help - Clipper 5 DBF files not recognised by other applications - Job_divn.dbf (0/1)
Author Message
 Help - Clipper 5 DBF files not recognised by other applications - Job_divn.dbf (0/1)

Quote:
>I'm trying to import DBFs from a clipper application developed by
>somebody else, but no application or import routine recognises them -
>I've tried Microsoft ODBC, Intersolv ODBC, Borland Paradox BDE,
>Microsoft Access Import, Microsoft Excel Import and pBrowze (clipper
>database explorer), but every application says that the DBFs are
>corrupt or not DBFs at all.

>I'm sure they're DBFs, because the application was created in Clipper
>5.01a Rev. 1.47, and they're not corrupt because the application still
>works.  All DBFs in the application return the same error message from
>the import routines.

>There is a password to get into the Clipper system, is it possible
>that the password is used to protect access to the DBFs as well?  The
>DBFs are not encrypted at least, as the text can be seen when you view
>the files.

>My apologies for posting a binary to the newsgroup, but it's only tiny
>- this is one of the DBFs that I'm trying to import, can somebody with
>more Clipper experience tell me why nothing seems to recognise it?

>TIA
>  Denis Cheong                                   |        `Today I am

>                                                 |        Like a marble
>  Database Consultant                            |          or an eye'
>  Digital Print, Perth WA             Team-OS/2! |       - Suzanne Vega -

The first byte of the .dbf is what is causing the problem - it should be
03 hex & it is 1a hex (EOF). Your application is probably switching the
first byte as a very simple protection scheme.  All you need to do is
write a litle utility which changes the lead byte to 03 hex, and you've
solved the problem.

HTH
--
Nick

Sun, 28 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Help - Clipper 5 DBF files not recognised by other applications - Job_divn.dbf (0/1)

Quote:

>I'm trying to import DBFs from a clipper application developed by
>somebody else, but no application or import routine recognises them -
>I've tried Microsoft ODBC, Intersolv ODBC, Borland Paradox BDE,
>Microsoft Access Import, Microsoft Excel Import and pBrowze (clipper
>database explorer), but every application says that the DBFs are
>corrupt or not DBFs at all.

>I'm sure they're DBFs, because the application was created in Clipper
>5.01a Rev. 1.47, and they're not corrupt because the application still
>works.  All DBFs in the application return the same error message from
>the import routines.

>There is a password to get into the Clipper system, is it possible
>that the password is used to protect access to the DBFs as well?  The
>DBFs are not encrypted at least, as the text can be seen when you view
>the files.

>My apologies for posting a binary to the newsgroup, but it's only tiny
>- this is one of the DBFs that I'm trying to import, can somebody with
>more Clipper experience tell me why nothing seems to recognise it?

It looks like the first byte is twiddled. This is a common way to get
other applications to not like a .DBF.

Try setting the first byte to Hex 03 with a disk editor.

I didn't have time to try this, but it does look like a .DBF inside.

---

             WWW  http://www.iag.net/~philb/
        FTP Site  ftp://ftp.iag.net/pub/clipper

Sun, 28 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Help - Clipper 5 DBF files not recognised by other applications - Job_divn.dbf (0/1)

Quote:

> I'm trying to import DBFs from a clipper application developed by
> somebody else, but no application or import routine recognises them -
> I've tried Microsoft ODBC, Intersolv ODBC, Borland Paradox BDE,
> Microsoft Access Import, Microsoft Excel Import and pBrowze (clipper
> database explorer), but every application says that the DBFs are
> corrupt or not DBFs at all.

> I'm sure they're DBFs, because the application was created in Clipper
> 5.01a Rev. 1.47, and they're not corrupt because the application still
> works.  All DBFs in the application return the same error message from
> the import routines.

> There is a password to get into the Clipper system, is it possible
> that the password is used to protect access to the DBFs as well?  The
> DBFs are not encrypted at least, as the text can be seen when you view
> the files.

> My apologies for posting a binary to the newsgroup, but it's only tiny
> - this is one of the DBFs that I'm trying to import, can somebody with
> more Clipper experience tell me why nothing seems to recognise it?

> TIA
>   Denis Cheong                                   |        `Today I am

>                                                  |        Like a marble
>   Database Consultant                            |          or an eye'
>   Digital Print, Perth WA             Team-OS/2! |       - Suzanne Vega -

Change the first byte of the file from 1ah to 03h and all will be OK
Robin

Sun, 28 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Help - Clipper 5 DBF files not recognised by other applications - Job_divn.dbf (0/1)

Quote:

>I'm trying to import DBFs from a clipper application developed by
>somebody else, but no application or import routine recognises them -

<snip>
The 1st byte of a .dbf recognized by Clipper is 03hex or 83hex
if there is an associated .dbt file. The sample you sent has had
the 1st byte changed to 1A. It works fine if that byte is changed
to 03hex.

Sun, 28 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Help - Clipper 5 DBF files not recognised by other applications - Job_divn.dbf (0/1)

Denis

Looks like the first byte of the header has been changed. (1A Hex from 03
Hex)

The 5.01 program probably does the change before it opens it.

Get a HEX file utility and change the '0' byte of the header to '03' and
try it again (it worked for me).

If the dbf has a memo attached the byte will be 83, I think. (CMIIW)

HTH
--
Steve Quinn
BRUTE Computer Services - Australia

http://www.brutecom.com.au

Quote:
> I'm trying to import DBFs from a clipper application developed by
> somebody else, but no application or import routine recognises them -
> I've tried Microsoft ODBC, Intersolv ODBC, Borland Paradox BDE,
> Microsoft Access Import, Microsoft Excel Import and pBrowze (clipper
> database explorer), but every application says that the DBFs are
> corrupt or not DBFs at all.

> I'm sure they're DBFs, because the application was created in Clipper
> 5.01a Rev. 1.47, and they're not corrupt because the application still
> works.  All DBFs in the application return the same error message from
> the import routines.

> There is a password to get into the Clipper system, is it possible
> that the password is used to protect access to the DBFs as well?  The
> DBFs are not encrypted at least, as the text can be seen when you view
> the files.

> My apologies for posting a binary to the newsgroup, but it's only tiny
> - this is one of the DBFs that I'm trying to import, can somebody with
> more Clipper experience tell me why nothing seems to recognise it?

> TIA

-
Quote:
>   Denis Cheong                                   |        `Today I am

>                                                  |        Like a marble
>   Database Consultant                            |          or an eye'
>   Digital Print, Perth WA             Team-OS/2! |       - Suzanne Vega -

-

Sun, 28 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Help - Clipper 5 DBF files not recognised by other applications - Job_divn.dbf (0/1)

Quote:

> I'm trying to import DBFs from a clipper application developed by
> somebody else, but no application or import routine recognises them -
> I've tried Microsoft ODBC, Intersolv ODBC, Borland Paradox BDE,
> Microsoft Access Import, Microsoft Excel Import and pBrowze (clipper
> database explorer), but every application says that the DBFs are
> corrupt or not DBFs at all.

> I'm sure they're DBFs, because the application was created in Clipper
> 5.01a Rev. 1.47, and they're not corrupt because the application still
> works.  All DBFs in the application return the same error message from
> the import routines.

> There is a password to get into the Clipper system, is it possible
> that the password is used to protect access to the DBFs as well?  The
> DBFs are not encrypted at least, as the text can be seen when you view
> the files.

> My apologies for posting a binary to the newsgroup, but it's only tiny
> - this is one of the DBFs that I'm trying to import, can somebody with
> more Clipper experience tell me why nothing seems to recognise it?

> TIA

Hi Denis,

seems that the first Byte of the Header has been changed, If you
use a disk editor and change it to 03hex, the Database can be
opened by DBU.EXE (and by any other app as well I bet...)

If there is an associated DBT file, then you have to change the first
byte to 83hex.

HTH
Thomas

Sun, 28 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Help - Clipper 5 DBF files not recognised by other applications - Job_divn.dbf (0/1)

*** Summary ***

I received three replies to my message in about 5 hours, which is a
pretty damn fine example of how well Usenet works!

The original programmer used a routine to 'corrupt' the DBFs by
modifying Byte 0; all that was required was to modify them back so
that Byte 0 was 0x03 for normal DBFs and 0x83 for DBFs with one or
more memo fields.

Another option that worked even better was to run the program, then
terminate it using the NT VDM or whatever, which would leave /all/ the
DBFs in their 'un-corrupted' state.

Thanks to all those who replied so promptly.
  Denis Cheong                                   |        `Today I am

                                                 |        Like a marble
  Database Consultant                            |          or an eye'
  Digital Print, Perth WA             Team-OS/2! |       - Suzanne Vega -

Mon, 29 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Help - Clipper 5 DBF files not recognised by other applications - Job_divn.dbf (0/1)

Quote:
> The original programmer used a routine to 'corrupt' the DBFs by
> modifying Byte 0; all that was required was to modify them back so
> that Byte 0 was 0x03 for normal DBFs and 0x83 for DBFs with one or
> more memo fields.
> Another option that worked even better was to run the program, then
> terminate it using the NT VDM or whatever, which would leave /all/ the
> DBFs in their 'un-corrupted' state.

Denis,

although using a hex-editor to change the first bytes might not look like a
clean way to get access to these DFS's, simple closing the Dos-box an app is
running in most definately is a lt worse. You have no control over what files
are and are not open, what data is and is not written to disk and chances of
ending up with really corrupted files are not virtual.
(Taking Murphy onto account: you can _rely_ on it :)

So I would like to stress you not to use this last option.
(As I do with all my customers that run Dos-software under a Multi-tasking
system)

Anne.

PG13 Tag follows. Please stop reading here !

* Man who stick {*filter*} in peanut butter, he {*filter*}ing nuts. *

Mon, 29 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Help - Clipper 5 DBF files not recognised by other applications - Job_divn.dbf (0/1)

Quote:

>although using a hex-editor to change the first bytes might not look like a
>clean way to get access to these DFS's, simple closing the Dos-box an app is
>running in most definately is a lt worse. You have no control over what files
>are and are not open, what data is and is not written to disk and chances of
>ending up with really corrupted files are not virtual.
>(Taking Murphy onto account: you can _rely_ on it :)

This is true .. I suppose I do so at my own risk.  I was closing it at
the login screen, which one would assume does not open too many files
... but again, it could open as many files as it wants.  The cleanest
way is to write a 20-line C++ program that will un-corrupt all *.DBFs
in the current directory ... I might do that just to practice my
somewhat rusty C++ :-)

Quote:
>* Man who stick {*filter*} in peanut butter, he {*filter*}ing nuts. *

I love this ...
  Denis Cheong                                   |        `Today I am

                                                 |        Like a marble
  Database Consultant                            |          or an eye'
  Digital Print, Perth WA             Team-OS/2! |       - Suzanne Vega -

Sun, 05 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Help - Clipper 5 DBF files not recognised by other applications - Job_divn.dbf (1/1)

2. Which is best DBF editor for viewing Clipper based dbf files( windows)

3. DBU DBF FILE nad FOXPRO 2.6A dbf file

4. HELP ! Clipper DBF file header Corruption

5. Help needed importing Clipper dbf files

6. Help Me to Solve big dbf files with clipper

7. Retrieve number from Clipper dbf to Visual Basic Application

8. Clarion not packing .dbf files

9. HARBOUR-project : Error DBF/1001 Open error: Arbeider.dbf

10. dbf/ntx to dbf/idx converter

11. Old clipper dbf file

12. CW15 and Clipper DBF files