INDEXING PROBLEM - URGENT HELP NEEDED!
Author Message
 INDEXING PROBLEM - URGENT HELP NEEDED!

I have an LARGE database (3.863.805 records, 232 MB) with 3 NTX indexes on
it. Indexes became corrupted (damaged workstation) and I can recreate only
one of tree indexes. Index expressions are quite simple,
(contract+dtos(date)). Indexing reaches cca 25% and break with exception 0D
(W95 DOS prompt) or restart/freeze computer. I tried everything I can
remember (changing computers, SET CLIPPER data, protected mode link...) but
the result is basically the same, and my users are waiting for data. I can't
split the database to reduce it's size because there would be major changes
in all app's. Any suggestions would be appreciated, but I need it ASAP.

Zeljko

Fri, 02 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 INDEXING PROBLEM - URGENT HELP NEEDED!

Quote:
> I have an LARGE database (3.863.805 records, 232 MB) with 3 NTX indexes on
> it. Indexes became corrupted (damaged workstation) and I can recreate only
> one of tree indexes. Index expressions are quite simple,
> (contract+dtos(date)). Indexing reaches cca 25% and break with exception
0D
> (W95 DOS prompt) or restart/freeze computer. I tried everything I can
> remember (changing computers, SET CLIPPER data, protected mode link...)
but
> the result is basically the same, and my users are waiting for data. I
can't
> split the database to reduce it's size because there would be major
changes
> in all app's. Any suggestions would be appreciated, but I need it ASAP.

> Zeljko

Hello Zeljko,
first thing Iwould do in this case is looking for corrupted datas in the
DBF.
Next thing is, that sometimes the index is not to build on a database with a
specific size. I dont know ehy, but when  I delete a record or append a
record, suddenly the  index can be builded again.
(Sorry about my english, Im german.)
greetings  Ralf

Fri, 02 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 INDEXING PROBLEM - URGENT HELP NEEDED!
What Ralf is referring to below (add or delete a record and indexing works
again) reminds me of the "magic number" syndrome which was explained to me
some years ago as follows:

Quote:
> The problem is with Summer '87 - the 2:00am release.

>  When the Reccount()  % INT( 64512 / ( IndexExpr Length + 4 ) ) = 0
> the indexing will fail ( not sure how it manifests itself ).

> A workaround is to add and delete a record when this condition
> exists. A solution is to get the Summer '87 clipper.lib 4.00am.

Apparently only (?) a Summer '87 problem...

Dick

Quote:

>> I have an LARGE database (3.863.805 records, 232 MB) with 3 NTX indexes
on
>> it. Indexes became corrupted (damaged workstation) and I can recreate
only
>> one of tree indexes. Index expressions are quite simple,
>> (contract+dtos(date)). Indexing reaches cca 25% and break with exception
>0D
>> (W95 DOS prompt) or restart/freeze computer. I tried everything I can
>> remember (changing computers, SET CLIPPER data, protected mode link...)
>but
>> the result is basically the same, and my users are waiting for data. I
>can't
>> split the database to reduce it's size because there would be major
>changes
>> in all app's. Any suggestions would be appreciated, but I need it ASAP.

>> Zeljko

>Hello Zeljko,
>first thing Iwould do in this case is looking for corrupted datas in the
>DBF.
>Next thing is, that sometimes the index is not to build on a database with
>specific size. I dont know ehy, but when  I delete a record or append a
>record, suddenly the  index can be builded again.
>(Sorry about my english, Im german.)
>greetings  Ralf

Fri, 02 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 INDEXING PROBLEM - URGENT HELP NEEDED!

Quote:
> Apparently only (?) a Summer '87 problem...

Not only summer 87. Im using Clipper 5.2e with Blinker 3.01.
I never tried to work out, why this happens.
But I solved this problem for me by using comix as default RDD.

Fri, 02 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 INDEXING PROBLEM - URGENT HELP NEEDED!
This should work to get you up and running quickly:
1.  create an empty table with the same structure
2.  create your indices on this empty table.
3.  close everything
4.  open this empty table and all three indices
5. append from the large database.

This will probably take about twice as long as indexing, but you shouldn't
get the memory corruption that's causing your crashes.

Quote:
> I have an LARGE database (3.863.805 records, 232 MB) with 3 NTX indexes on
> it. Indexes became corrupted (damaged workstation) and I can recreate only
> one of tree indexes. Index expressions are quite simple,
> (contract+dtos(date)). Indexing reaches cca 25% and break with exception
0D
> (W95 DOS prompt) or restart/freeze computer. I tried everything I can
> remember (changing computers, SET CLIPPER data, protected mode link...)
but
> the result is basically the same, and my users are waiting for data. I
can't
> split the database to reduce it's size because there would be major
changes
> in all app's. Any suggestions would be appreciated, but I need it ASAP.

> Zeljko

Fri, 02 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 INDEXING PROBLEM - URGENT HELP NEEDED!
Thanks, Steve.
In the meantime, I got the same idea and it worked. Of course, it took 10
hours (PII 350, 128 MB RAM, local SCSI-3 HDD...) but it worked.  This way I
got indexes cca 190 MB in size, and those indexes are fragmented, i.e.
rather slow because of the way they are generated.

On another computer I made indexes using dBAdministrator , 30 days trial
downloaded from http://www.alt128.co.uk/ and this program made indexes
almost 60 MB smaller. At the moment I use those smaller indexes (I guess I'm
lucky because this database is almost all the time opened readonly, with
only occasional updates) and it looks fine. I can recommend this programm
for everyone having similar problem.

I'm affraid a little bit about the next bulk append (approx. 500.000
records)...

Zeljko

P.S. Thanks a lot to all the people who tried to help!

Quote:
> This should work to get you up and running quickly:
> 1.  create an empty table with the same structure
> 2.  create your indices on this empty table.
> 3.  close everything
> 4.  open this empty table and all three indices
> 5. append from the large database.

> This will probably take about twice as long as indexing, but you shouldn't
> get the memory corruption that's causing your crashes.

> > I have an LARGE database (3.863.805 records, 232 MB) with 3 NTX indexes
on
> > it. Indexes became corrupted (damaged workstation) and I can recreate
only
> > one of tree indexes. Index expressions are quite simple,
> > (contract+dtos(date)). Indexing reaches cca 25% and break with exception
> 0D
> > (W95 DOS prompt) or restart/freeze computer. I tried everything I can
> > remember (changing computers, SET CLIPPER data, protected mode link...)
> but
> > the result is basically the same, and my users are waiting for data. I
> can't
> > split the database to reduce it's size because there would be major
> changes
> > in all app's. Any suggestions would be appreciated, but I need it ASAP.

> > Zeljko

Sat, 03 May 2003 15:33:32 GMT
 INDEXING PROBLEM - URGENT HELP NEEDED!
You could try the following

1-Build the index in  DOS(before starting W95)

2-You are using reindex or index from scratch?If you are using reindex try
indexing from scratch.Delete or rename
    corrupt indexes before building

3-Try the whole operation on a workstation locally and if it works transfer
files to server.

Regards
Alexis Gaitanis

Quote:
> I have an LARGE database (3.863.805 records, 232 MB) with 3 NTX indexes on
> it. Indexes became corrupted (damaged workstation) and I can recreate only
> one of tree indexes. Index expressions are quite simple,
> (contract+dtos(date)). Indexing reaches cca 25% and break with exception
0D
> (W95 DOS prompt) or restart/freeze computer. I tried everything I can
> remember (changing computers, SET CLIPPER data, protected mode link...)
but
> the result is basically the same, and my users are waiting for data. I
can't
> split the database to reduce it's size because there would be major
changes
> in all app's. Any suggestions would be appreciated, but I need it ASAP.

> Zeljko

Wed, 14 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 INDEXING PROBLEM - URGENT HELP NEEDED!
Hi Zeljko. Had the same problem and I am sure your's the same. I have a
database with up to 5.000.000 records and the same thing happend to me over
and over again. First I dropped some of the records and this helped, but it
didn't solve my problem. Then I somewhere read that this is a serious
problem in Clipper. AT CA they simply didn't count with such a lot of
records and instead of a 4 byte word for indexing they reserved a 1 byte
word which causes the indexing to crash. Well what's the solution. The only
way to solve it is to switch to foxpro (IDX) indexes and to get the indexing
done by FoxPro. This always works. Hope I could help you.

Quote:
> You could try the following

> 1-Build the index in  DOS(before starting W95)

> 2-You are using reindex or index from scratch?If you are using reindex try
> indexing from scratch.Delete or rename
>     corrupt indexes before building

> 3-Try the whole operation on a workstation locally and if it works
transfer
> files to server.

> Regards
> Alexis Gaitanis

??T???:

> > I have an LARGE database (3.863.805 records, 232 MB) with 3 NTX indexes
on
> > it. Indexes became corrupted (damaged workstation) and I can recreate
only
> > one of tree indexes. Index expressions are quite simple,
> > (contract+dtos(date)). Indexing reaches cca 25% and break with exception
> 0D
> > (W95 DOS prompt) or restart/freeze computer. I tried everything I can
> > remember (changing computers, SET CLIPPER data, protected mode link...)
> but
> > the result is basically the same, and my users are waiting for data. I
> can't
> > split the database to reduce it's size because there would be major
> changes
> > in all app's. Any suggestions would be appreciated, but I need it ASAP.

> > Zeljko

Fri, 16 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 INDEXING PROBLEM - URGENT HELP NEEDED!
No, switching to IDX didn't help... I made indexes using append to empty
database with indexes opened, but it created large and slow indexes
(fragmentation!).

On another computer I made indexes using dBAdministrator , 30 days trial
downloaded from http://www.alt128.co.uk/ and this program made indexes
almost 60 MB smaller. At the moment I use those smaller indexes (I guess I'm
lucky because this database is almost all the time opened readonly, with
only occasional updates) and it looks fine. I can recommend this programm
for everyone having similar problem.

At the moment I'm going to by Advantage Database Server...

Quote:

> Hi Zeljko. Had the same problem and I am sure your's the same. I have a
> database with up to 5.000.000 records and the same thing happend to me
over
> and over again. First I dropped some of the records and this helped, but
it
> didn't solve my problem. Then I somewhere read that this is a serious
> problem in Clipper. AT CA they simply didn't count with such a lot of
> records and instead of a 4 byte word for indexing they reserved a 1 byte
> word which causes the indexing to crash. Well what's the solution. The
only
> way to solve it is to switch to foxpro (IDX) indexes and to get the
indexing
> done by FoxPro. This always works. Hope I could help you.

> > You could try the following

> > 1-Build the index in  DOS(before starting W95)

> > 2-You are using reindex or index from scratch?If you are using reindex
try
> > indexing from scratch.Delete or rename
> >     corrupt indexes before building

> > 3-Try the whole operation on a workstation locally and if it works
> transfer
> > files to server.

> > Regards
> > Alexis Gaitanis

> ??T???:

> > > I have an LARGE database (3.863.805 records, 232 MB) with 3 NTX
> on
> > > it. Indexes became corrupted (damaged workstation) and I can recreate
> only
> > > one of tree indexes. Index expressions are quite simple,
> > > (contract+dtos(date)). Indexing reaches cca 25% and break with
exception
> > 0D
> > > (W95 DOS prompt) or restart/freeze computer. I tried everything I can
> > > remember (changing computers, SET CLIPPER data, protected mode
link...)
> > but
> > > the result is basically the same, and my users are waiting for data. I
> > can't
> > > split the database to reduce it's size because there would be major
> > changes
> > > in all app's. Any suggestions would be appreciated, but I need it
ASAP.

> > > Zeljko

Sat, 17 May 2003 15:19:54 GMT
 INDEXING PROBLEM - URGENT HELP NEEDED!
Try to make a call to an 'evalution'-function in your index-command.
It worked for me, when i had a routine which checked for the existence of an
index, and created it, when it wasn't there. Which larger databases i always
ended up with an internal error. (Don't know the number anymore).

A sample:

use TEST exclusive new
index on DTOS(INV_DATE) to TEST1 eval ntxprogress() every 5.

use

function ntxprogress()
local RetVal := .t.

// Here you could display something, so the user sees that something
// is happening.

return RetVal

Eric Kengen

Quote:
> No, switching to IDX didn't help... I made indexes using append to empty
> database with indexes opened, but it created large and slow indexes
> (fragmentation!).

> On another computer I made indexes using dBAdministrator , 30 days trial
> downloaded from http://www.alt128.co.uk/ and this program made indexes
> almost 60 MB smaller. At the moment I use those smaller indexes (I guess
I'm
> lucky because this database is almost all the time opened readonly, with
> only occasional updates) and it looks fine. I can recommend this programm
> for everyone having similar problem.

> At the moment I'm going to by Advantage Database Server...

> > Hi Zeljko. Had the same problem and I am sure your's the same. I have a
> > database with up to 5.000.000 records and the same thing happend to me
> over
> > and over again. First I dropped some of the records and this helped, but
> it
> > didn't solve my problem. Then I somewhere read that this is a serious
> > problem in Clipper. AT CA they simply didn't count with such a lot of
> > records and instead of a 4 byte word for indexing they reserved a 1 byte
> > word which causes the indexing to crash. Well what's the solution. The
> only
> > way to solve it is to switch to foxpro (IDX) indexes and to get the
> indexing
> > done by FoxPro. This always works. Hope I could help you.

> > > You could try the following

> > > 1-Build the index in  DOS(before starting W95)

> > > 2-You are using reindex or index from scratch?If you are using reindex
> try
> > > indexing from scratch.Delete or rename
> > >     corrupt indexes before building

> > > 3-Try the whole operation on a workstation locally and if it works
> > transfer
> > > files to server.

> > > Regards
> > > Alexis Gaitanis

> > ??T???:

> > on
> > only
> exception
> > > 0D
> link...)
> > > but
> > > can't
> > > changes
> ASAP.

Sat, 17 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 INDEXING PROBLEM - URGENT HELP NEEDED!
With such a huge data file, why not try using Advantage Database Server
instead of default clipper database driver.  I personally have not used
it but the common opinion in this newsgroup is that it is the
industrial strength way to manage data with clipper.

Regards,
Bill

Quote:
> Thanks, Steve.
> In the meantime, I got the same idea and it worked. Of course, it
took 10
> hours (PII 350, 128 MB RAM, local SCSI-3 HDD...) but it worked.  This
way I
> got indexes cca 190 MB in size, and those indexes are fragmented, i.e.
> rather slow because of the way they are generated.

> On another computer I made indexes using dBAdministrator , 30 days
trial
> downloaded from http://www.alt128.co.uk/ and this program made indexes
> almost 60 MB smaller. At the moment I use those smaller indexes (I
guess I'm
> lucky because this database is almost all the time opened readonly,
with
> only occasional updates) and it looks fine. I can recommend this
programm
> for everyone having similar problem.

> I'm affraid a little bit about the next bulk append (approx. 500.000
> records)...

> Zeljko

> P.S. Thanks a lot to all the people who tried to help!

> > This should work to get you up and running quickly:
> > 1.  create an empty table with the same structure
> > 2.  create your indices on this empty table.
> > 3.  close everything
> > 4.  open this empty table and all three indices
> > 5. append from the large database.

> > This will probably take about twice as long as indexing, but you
shouldn't
> > get the memory corruption that's causing your crashes.

> > > I have an LARGE database (3.863.805 records, 232 MB) with 3 NTX
> on
> > > it. Indexes became corrupted (damaged workstation) and I can
recreate
> only
> > > one of tree indexes. Index expressions are quite simple,
> > > (contract+dtos(date)). Indexing reaches cca 25% and break with
exception
> > 0D
> > > (W95 DOS prompt) or restart/freeze computer. I tried everything I
can
> > > remember (changing computers, SET CLIPPER data, protected mode
link...)
> > but
> > > the result is basically the same, and my users are waiting for
data. I
> > can't
> > > split the database to reduce it's size because there would be
major
> > changes
> > > in all app's. Any suggestions would be appreciated, but I need it
ASAP.

> > > Zeljko

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Mon, 19 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Need urgent help with index/hang problem

2. Urgent Help Needed On Indexed Files I/O

3. URGENT-help needed-URGENT

4. Network problem - URGENT help needed

5. Urgent help needed on VX-Rexx Problem

6. Problem with CP 2.1.1 in Windows NT : URGENT HELP NEEDED

7. URGENT help needed resolving Package problem with Oratcl 3.0.2

8. Need help with Fortress Index Corruption Problem !

9. Please help with indexing numbers - urgent

10. Urgent Urgent I am stuck with this problem

11. URGENT: Need help with AND binary operation in awk

12. urgent! need help with database bindings