Date does not rollover
Author Message
 Date does not rollover

I have a problem I cannot pin down yet.  I know nnetsdate() failed the
y2k rollover.
When I disabled this function in an employee time clock program and let
the time
come from the pc system date, with two days inactivity(the weekend) the
computer
lost two days.  Meaning at the dos prompt, date showed the incorrect
date.  When
I immediately reboot and go to the bios setup it shows the correct
date.  My dos
computers are all ver 6.22. Is this a problem I have had all along and
when Jan 1
rolled over and nnetsdate() failed I finally found it? This program
monitors a com
port and reads a barcode scan. Is it causing dos to not roll the days.
The time is staying
right.

Sun, 30 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Date does not rollover

Quote:

> I have a problem I cannot pin down yet. I know nnetsdate() failed the y2k
> rollover. When I disabled this function in an employee time clock program
> and let the time come from the pc system date, with two days
> inactivity(the weekend) the computer lost two days. Meaning at the dos
> prompt, date showed the incorrect date. When I immediately reboot and go
> to the bios setup it shows the correct date. My dos computers are all ver
> 6.22. Is this a problem I have had all along and when Jan 1 rolled over
> and nnetsdate() failed I finally found it? This program monitors a com
> port and reads a barcode scan. Is it causing dos to not roll the days. The
> time is staying right.

This is a pretty commonly seen and known problem (a search of the archives
over at DejaNews <URL:http://www.deja.com/> will probably lead you to past
discussions the subject).

What you need to do (and it isn't just a problem with your Clipper app, it
is a general problem) is in the polling loop (I assume you're referring to
some form of polling loop in the above) make sure you make a call to date()
every so often. Doing so ensures that DOS's view of the current date is
correct.

PS: When doing that DejaNews search look for "midnight rollover".

--
Take a look in Hagbard's World: |   w3ng - The WWW Norton Guide reader.
http://www.acemake.com/hagbard/ |     eg - Norton Guide reader for Linux.

Sun, 30 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Midnight date rollover fails.

2. Changing date format when doing MySQL query?

3. doing a clock scan on a date string

4. my EXE doing not well

5. Why Forth is not doing so well

6. Not doing things

7. I'm not doing a good job

8. Relevance of lists (Was: I'm not doing a good job)

9. Using -use and -container - not quite doing what I want

10. tcl 8.2 regexp not doing non-greedy matching correctly

11. Rollover image

12. How to make a rollover button?