Number of clipper users in the world
Author Message
 Number of clipper users in the world

Does anybody have an idea of how many Clipper users are there in the whole
world ?

At least, how many Clipper packages had been sold.

Thank you.

Sun, 13 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Number of clipper users in the world

Quote:

> Does anybody have an idea of how many Clipper users are there in the whole
> world ?

> At least, how many Clipper packages had been sold.

> Thank you.

Bob,

You are correct on that one; the quantity sold is less than the quantity
of users.

I don't think even CA have ever announced the numbers. Let's just say we
are members of select group <g> and be proud of it!

Regards,

Ross McKenzie
ValuSoft
Melbourne Australia

Sun, 13 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Number of clipper users in the world

Quote:

> Does anybody have an idea of how many Clipper users are there in the whole
> world ?

If, when you say "users", you mean "how many programmers can code in
Clipper?", that would make it a pretty hard (if not impossible) question to
answer.

As an exercise I suppose you could trawl thru DejaNews, collect all unique
email addresses that have ever posted to this Usenet group, try and sort
them by country, extrapolate the figures using internet access percentages
for each country (allowing for the fact that the set "programmers" will
probably have a higher percentage that the population as a whole) and then
total up the resulting figures.

On the other hand you could simply make up a number, you'd probably be just
as correct. ;-)

Quote:
> At least, how many Clipper packages had been sold.

I seem to remember that the list of registered Clipper "owners" in the UK
went to about 10,000 names. Either that or I'm miss-remembering the details
or another list (perhaps Nantucket's marketing mailing list?). Nick, you
watching this, do you remember?

--
Take a look in Hagbard's World: |   w3ng - The WWW Norton Guide reader.
http://www.acemake.com/hagbard/ |     eg - Norton Guide reader for Linux.

Sun, 13 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Number of clipper users in the world

<<<Does anybody have an idea of how many Clipper users are there in
the whole
<<world ?
<<<At least, how many Clipper packages had been sold.

Hmm, off the top of my head....73.... give or take fifty grand...

Sun, 13 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT

About 500 million people perhaps ? ;----)
--
Andi Jahja <see headers for my e-address>

Sun, 13 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Number of clipper users in the world

Quote:

>Does anybody have an idea of how many Clipper users are there in the
whole
>world ?

>At least, how many Clipper packages had been sold.

If you own more than one Clipper compiler, do you count as more than
one user?

: - )

jdm

Sun, 13 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Number of clipper users in the world

Quote:

>> Does anybody have an idea of how many Clipper users are there in the whole
>> world ?

>If, when you say "users", you mean "how many programmers can code in
>Clipper?", that would make it a pretty hard (if not impossible) question to
>answer.

>As an exercise I suppose you could trawl thru DejaNews, collect all unique
>email addresses that have ever posted to this Usenet group, try and sort
>them by country, extrapolate the figures using internet access percentages
>for each country (allowing for the fact that the set "programmers" will
>probably have a higher percentage that the population as a whole) and then
>total up the resulting figures.

>On the other hand you could simply make up a number, you'd probably be just
>as correct. ;-)

>> At least, how many Clipper packages had been sold.

>I seem to remember that the list of registered Clipper "owners" in the UK
>went to about 10,000 names. Either that or I'm miss-remembering the details
>or another list (perhaps Nantucket's marketing mailing list?). Nick, you
>watching this, do you remember?

Hmm, IIRC we bundled over 7,000 copies of SOS Help! with Clipper 5.01
in the 6 months after it was released (or maybe that should be
"escaped") <g>, so 10,000 registered UK users sounds about right.

--
Nick Ramsay
WitzEnd Computer Services

Mon, 14 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Number of clipper users in the world

Pearson) wrote (possibly edited):

Quote:
>On the other hand you could simply make up a number, you'd probably be just
>as correct. ;-)

                                              ^^^^^^
Yes Minister?

Don

"Life is a long agonized illness curable only by death"

Mon, 14 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Number of clipper users in the world

Somebody told me at a Clippers conference that   400ooo
Clippers are sold worldwide.
Best regards
Bengt Ovelius

Quote:
> Does anybody have an idea of how many Clipper users are there in the
whole
> world ?

> At least, how many Clipper packages had been sold.

> Thank you.

Mon, 14 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Number of clipper users in the world

Quote:

>Somebody told me at a Clippers conference that   400ooo
>Clippers are sold worldwide.

That sounds a bit high but not totally out of line with the figure of 10,000
in the UK (from 'official' sources). Which would extend to perhaps 100,000
if we include Europe and the US? Then double it for the rest of the world?
It could we be that the US penetration is much greater than the UK where the
promotional campaign was a bit soft.

Anybody else got estimates for their countries?

Tue, 15 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Number of clipper users in the world
Hi all,
   When I left Nantucket UK 1989/90 we had sold around 25,000 copies in the
UK around 10-14000 people bothered to register.
   At that time I remember the worldwide figure was around 300,000 copies
sold.

The number of clipper applications probably around 3 times that number.
Number of sites where clipper applications installed in the millions. Number
still being used, probably still in the high millions.

Quote:

>>Somebody told me at a Clippers conference that   400ooo
>>Clippers are sold worldwide.

>That sounds a bit high but not totally out of line with the figure of
10,000
>in the UK (from 'official' sources). Which would extend to perhaps 100,000
>if we include Europe and the US? Then double it for the rest of the world?
>It could we be that the US penetration is much greater than the UK where
the
>promotional campaign was a bit soft.

>Anybody else got estimates for their countries?

Fri, 18 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Number of clipper users

2. hash for real-world numbers

3. Guess how many world-wide LabVIEW users exist?

4. Any MacOberon user on the world...

5. Introducing Rexx2Nrx to the world of REXX users.

6. Multi-user vrml world

7. Multi User 3d Worlds in Elementary/Primary Education

8. changing worlds w/o user interaction

9. Wanted: DEMO Superscape Mulit-User World .SVR

10. beginner asking about multi user world

11. VRML multi-user worlds

12. Java object In VRML World with User Communication