Clipper rookie using Summer '87, PLink86 and Blinker 1.11
Author Message
 Clipper rookie using Summer '87, PLink86 and Blinker 1.11

First of all, let me say "Hi !" to all of you !

  I have been given the task of maintaining a program done with Clipper
Summer '87.
As of right now, the linker used to create the executable is PLink86, but I
also have
Blinker 1.11 at my disposal.
  With this configuration, the program can be modified, and a new .EXE
created, but
my main question is this: are there any NECESSARY steps that I should take
(a newer version of Clipper? a newer version of Blinker?) in maintaining
this program,
considering that, eventually, it will be ported to VB with SQL Server(my
main domain
of activity), but, for now, all that is required from this program is that
it does it's job
every day (there is NO intention of porting this program,as a permanent
solution, to
anything else other than VB with SQL) ?
  Before posting this, I spent the last couple of days reading through this
newsgroup
and I saw that people that wanted to upgrade were advised to go to 5.2e with
Blinker higher than 3.3 or 4.0. The size of the .EXE is about 300k, so
memory
is not quite a concern.
  I also downloaded trial versions of CA-VO 2.5, Fivewin and XBase++, but,
since they are trial versions, I only installed VO 2.5 to begin with. So
far,
I understand that XBase++ makes the smoothest transition, but the company
would
like to spend as less money as possible on the maintenance of this program.
I guess
the perfect course of action, if possible, would be to stay at Summer '87
with the
old linkers until I will have a thorough understanding of the program, so
that I can
port it to VB.
  Another question is regarding the books: what would you recommend for
Clipper
Summer 87 programming ? I already ordered "Using Clipper", the 1988 edition
but
I am looking for a "Programmer's reference" kind of book, something that
would
have all the functions, procedures, keywords and the likes. The HTML
conversion
of the Summer 87 Norton guide at WWW.CLIPX.NET is very good for people that
already know what they are looking for, but I would prefer to have the whole
thing
in a PDF format, a continuous format(because, when you are just beginning,
you have
to do a lot of page flipping :) ) or paper. In any case, CLIPX.NET it's a
better start than
having nothing to start with.
  The last question regards an .OBJ file that is used in creating the EXE.
The OBJ file
is named HANDLES and I don't have a PRG for it. I have another OBJ that is
used
in the linking, and it's called EXTENDDB.OBJ, and for it, I have the PRG
file.
Anyway, I was just curious if someone knows more about this HANDLES.OBJ
file.

Well, that's about it, for now.
Thank you very much !

Valentin Ionita

Tue, 19 Oct 2004 04:28:04 GMT
 Clipper rookie using Summer '87, PLink86 and Blinker 1.11
Don't try to rewrite it in 5.2e.  Just fix it for now using the tools you
have.

If you can't find a Clipper book, remember that it is a superset of dBase3
functions. Even now I still see dbase books in the used bookstores. If you
can get Using Clipper, it has all the functions and procedures listed.

I can't help you much on the OBJ files without seeing the compile and link
statements (probably in a .bat file referencing a .lnk for blinker).

Mike

Quote:
> [...]

that
> already know what they are looking for, but I would prefer to have the
whole
> thing
> in a PDF format, a continuous format(because, when you are just beginning,
> you have
> to do a lot of page flipping :) ) or paper. In any case, CLIPX.NET it's a
> better start than
> having nothing to start with.
>   The last question regards an .OBJ file that is used in creating the EXE.
> The OBJ file
> is named HANDLES and I don't have a PRG for it. I have another OBJ that is
> used
> in the linking, and it's called EXTENDDB.OBJ, and for it, I have the PRG
> file.
> Anyway, I was just curious if someone knows more about this HANDLES.OBJ

Tue, 19 Oct 2004 11:45:17 GMT
 Clipper rookie using Summer '87, PLink86 and Blinker 1.11

Quote:

>   The last question regards an .OBJ file that is used in creating the
>   EXE.
> The OBJ file
> is named HANDLES and I don't have a PRG for it. I have another OBJ that
> is used
> in the linking, and it's called EXTENDDB.OBJ, and for it, I have the PRG
> file.
> Anyway, I was just curious if someone knows more about this HANDLES.OBJ
> file.

From the archives of the Orlando Silver Bullet BBS, which was popular before the
internet was so ubiquituous, I found the following documentation, dated
11/22/1992. This was for HANDLES2.ZIP. I also found earlier .ASM code for
HANDLES.ZIP and HANDLES1.ZIP, dated 2/15/1988 and 12/29/1986. Boy, does
that take you back, or what?

(By the way, part of the reorg of The Oasis will be to release the
contents of the Orlando Silver Bullet BBS. Approx 350 Meg of Clipper
code never before released on the internet.)

(FYI, the contents of The Oasis is currently about 100 Meg)

The HANDLES.ASM source code was captured from a message that came accross
the FIDO/CLIPPER message area.

The words "Use freely but at own risk" denote public domain.

Syntax:  lSuccess:=Set_Handles(n)

Where n is the desired number of handles
Returns .T. if success, .F. if failure
Compile with TASM and /mu switch
Warning: only works with DOS >= 3.3. Use freely but at own risk

I compiled the source code with TASM and included the obj.

Phil Barnett

FIDO address 1:363/18.2

--

        Oasis WWW  http://www.the-oasis.net
         FTP Site  ftp://ftp.the-oasis.net

Tue, 19 Oct 2004 13:45:45 GMT
 Clipper rookie using Summer '87, PLink86 and Blinker 1.11
On Fri, 03 May 2002 01:16:24 -0400, Phil Barnett

Quote:

>>   The last question regards an .OBJ file that is used in creating the
>>   EXE.
>> The OBJ file
>> is named HANDLES and I don't have a PRG for it. I have another OBJ that
>> is used
>> in the linking, and it's called EXTENDDB.OBJ, and for it, I have the PRG
>> file.
>> Anyway, I was just curious if someone knows more about this HANDLES.OBJ
>> file.

>HANDLES.OBJ was used to extend the handle table to hold more elements.
>Without it, IIRC, Clipper S'87 was limited to either 20 or 40 open handles. It was an
>aftermarket hack as I recall. I'm pretty sure that it came with Artful,
>among others. Probably an .ASM hack on the DOS file handle table.

>If your program breaks without it and runs with it, just link it in and
>fugidaboudit.

I agree 100% with what Phil said, but just to expand a little on
HANDLES.OBJ, this was only needed with DOS v3.3 & 4.x (urgh, I
remember that disaster!)  Any DOS >= 5.0 had the FILES=nnn option in
CONFIG.SYS which did away with the need for HANDLES.OBJ (provided you
had a SET CLIPPER=Fnnn in your environment).

--
Nick Ramsay
WitzEnd Computer Services

Tue, 19 Oct 2004 18:01:07 GMT
 Clipper rookie using Summer '87, PLink86 and Blinker 1.11

Quote:
> I agree 100% with what Phil said, but just to expand a little on
> HANDLES.OBJ, this was only needed with DOS v3.3 & 4.x (urgh, I remember
> that disaster!) Any DOS >= 5.0 had the FILES=nnn option in CONFIG.SYS
> which did away with the need for HANDLES.OBJ (provided you had a SET
> CLIPPER=Fnnn in your environment).

IIRC "FILES=" was available as early as DOS 3.3.

<URL:http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q31509> seems
to back this up.

--
Dave Pearson                        |  OSLib - Timeslice release functions.
http://www.davep.org/               |     eg - Norton Guide reader for Linux.

Tue, 19 Oct 2004 18:46:13 GMT
 Clipper rookie using Summer '87, PLink86 and Blinker 1.11

Quote:
> (By the way, part of the reorg of The Oasis will be to release the
> contents of the Orlando Silver Bullet BBS. Approx 350 Meg of Clipper
> code never before released on the internet.)

> (FYI, the contents of The Oasis is currently about 100 Meg)

I'd buy a CD for $20 or less.  :)

Tue, 19 Oct 2004 22:11:24 GMT
 Clipper rookie using Summer '87, PLink86 and Blinker 1.11
I think Clipper before S'87 was limited to 20 handles but not S'87.  I did
not go over 20 until DOS 4.0 with share.exe loaded.

Quote:

> > I agree 100% with what Phil said, but just to expand a little on
> > HANDLES.OBJ, this was only needed with DOS v3.3 & 4.x (urgh, I remember
> > that disaster!) Any DOS >= 5.0 had the FILES=nnn option in CONFIG.SYS
> > which did away with the need for HANDLES.OBJ (provided you had a SET
> > CLIPPER=Fnnn in your environment).

> IIRC "FILES=" was available as early as DOS 3.3.

> <URL:http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q31509> seems
> to back this up.

> --
> Dave Pearson                        |  OSLib - Timeslice release
functions.
> http://www.davep.org/               |     eg - Norton Guide reader for
Linux.
> http://www.davep.org/clipper/       |    weg - Norton Guide reader for
Windows.
> http://www.davep.org/norton-guides/ | dgscan - DGROUP scanner for Clipper.

Tue, 19 Oct 2004 23:37:58 GMT
 Clipper rookie using Summer '87, PLink86 and Blinker 1.11

Quote:

>> (By the way, part of the reorg of The Oasis will be to release the
>> contents of the Orlando Silver Bullet BBS. Approx 350 Meg of Clipper
>> code never before released on the internet.)

>> (FYI, the contents of The Oasis is currently about 100 Meg)

> I'd buy a CD for $20 or less.  :)

Actually, I never figured there would be much of a market for that, but I
can see that with 350 + 100, it would get kind of difficult for some
people on slow speed connections.

I expect that 350 figure to grow, since on BBS systems, all of the
'online' documentation is one liners. Part of the reorg will be that anyone will
be able to check out a file that hasn't been reviewed, review it,
categorize it, write a little better description and repost it for
everyone. Every file will have to go through that process before it's
publicly available.

Depending on community involvement, it might take quite a while for the
entire thing to come online.

But, with lots of people helping, every large job is made managable.

--

        Oasis WWW  http://www.the-oasis.net
         FTP Site  ftp://ftp.the-oasis.net
      Clipper FAQ  http://www.the-oasis.net/clipper.html
  Harbour Project  http://www.Harbour-Project.org

Wed, 20 Oct 2004 11:34:23 GMT
 Clipper rookie using Summer '87, PLink86 and Blinker 1.11
  Ok, I got the Clipper Summer '87 Norton guide file
and I also got the WEG utility from OASIS. The NG
file looks almost like the HTML conversion, except that it
covers less topics(COMPILE section being one of them)
and it doesn't require a connection to the Internet to use it.
But the collection of functions and procedures will help me
a lot.
  Regarding the HANDLES.OBJ file:
there is a function called Handles() that is used in one .PRG
file (the main one) and that's it. Here it is how it is used(and
these are the first lines of code in the file):
 public clipper
 if clipper
   handles()
 endif

Anyway, I want to thank all of you for the advice !
I am going to take a break from Clipper for a while, but
I will be checking on this newsgroup from time to time.

Thanks again !

Valentin

Wed, 20 Oct 2004 06:17:21 GMT
You said:

HANDLES.OBJ was used to extend the handle table to hold more elements.
Without it, IIRC, Clipper S'87 was limited to either 20 or 40 open handles.
It was an
aftermarket hack as I recall. I'm pretty sure that it came with Artful,
among others. Probably an .ASM hack on the DOS file handle table.

Is this the FILES problem where it had to be an ODD number (FILES=99) in
order to work in S87?  That was the workaround I used for years...I never
tried using the HANDLES.OBJ solution.  I remember the weird crashing that
would happen when using EVEN numbers of file handles above 40 or so.

Mike

Quote:

> [...]

> > Clipper
> > Summer 87 programming ? I already ordered "Using Clipper", the 1988
> > edition but
> > I am looking for a "Programmer's reference" kind of book, something that
> > would
> > have all the functions, procedures, keywords and the likes. The HTML
> > conversion
> > of the Summer 87 Norton guide at WWW.CLIPX.NET is very good for people
> > that already know what they are looking for, but I would prefer to have
> > the whole thing
> > in a PDF format, a continuous format(because, when you are just
> > beginning, you have
> > to do a lot of page flipping :) ) or paper. In any case, CLIPX.NET it's
> > a better start than
> > having nothing to start with.

> Download WEG from The Oasis and use it on the .NG file. IIRC, it supports
printing.

> >   The last question regards an .OBJ file that is used in creating the
> >   EXE.
> > The OBJ file
> > is named HANDLES and I don't have a PRG for it. I have another OBJ that
> > is used
> > in the linking, and it's called EXTENDDB.OBJ, and for it, I have the PRG
> > file.
> > Anyway, I was just curious if someone knows more about this HANDLES.OBJ
> > file.

> HANDLES.OBJ was used to extend the handle table to hold more elements.
> Without it, IIRC, Clipper S'87 was limited to either 20 or 40 open
handles. It was an
> aftermarket hack as I recall. I'm pretty sure that it came with Artful,
> among others. Probably an .ASM hack on the DOS file handle table.

> If your program breaks without it and runs with it, just link it in and
> fugidaboudit.

> --

>         Oasis WWW  http://www.the-oasis.net
>          FTP Site  ftp://ftp.the-oasis.net
>       Clipper FAQ  http://www.the-oasis.net/clipper.html
>   Harbour Project  http://www.Harbour-Project.org

Sun, 24 Oct 2004 00:27:41 GMT
 Clipper rookie using Summer '87, PLink86 and Blinker 1.11
I have never used handles.obj and my S'87 code runs just fine with much more
than 20 handles.

My guess is that the app developer knew he/she needed so many handles and
wrote a routine to check if it was available before starting the program.

Never heard about an odd number of handles work around.  Do you have any
docs on that?

Mike

Quote:
> [...]

> > >   EXE.
> > > The OBJ file
> > > is named HANDLES and I don't have a PRG for it. I have another OBJ
that
> > > is used
> > > in the linking, and it's called EXTENDDB.OBJ, and for it, I have the
PRG
> > > file.
> > > Anyway, I was just curious if someone knows more about this
HANDLES.OBJ
> > > file.

> > HANDLES.OBJ was used to extend the handle table to hold more elements.
> > Without it, IIRC, Clipper S'87 was limited to either 20 or 40 open
> handles. It was an
> > aftermarket hack as I recall. I'm pretty sure that it came with Artful,
> > among others. Probably an .ASM hack on the DOS file handle table.

> > If your program breaks without it and runs with it, just link it in and

Sun, 24 Oct 2004 02:36:39 GMT
 Clipper rookie using Summer '87, PLink86 and Blinker 1.11

Quote:
>I have never used handles.obj and my S'87 code runs just fine with much more
>than 20 handles.

>My guess is that the app developer knew he/she needed so many handles and
>wrote a routine to check if it was available before starting the program.

>Never heard about an odd number of handles work around.  Do you have any
>docs on that?

This was a bug in DOS 3.30 & 4.x which meant that real memory was
reduced by 64Kb if you allocated an even number of file handles over
40.

Something like that, anyway.
--
Nick Ramsay
WitzEnd Computer Services

Sun, 24 Oct 2004 03:53:03 GMT

1. Clipper rookie using Summer '87, PLink86 and Blinker 1.11

2. Clipper rookie using Summer '87, PLink86 and Blinker 1.11

3. Help me Link file for clipper summer 87 @ plink86 or tlink

4. Versions of Summer '87 / Blinker 4.1

5. Help: Anybody using Flipper for Clipper Summer 87?

6. Clipper Summer'87

7. Looking for Books For Clipper Summer '87

8. Clipper Summer'87 cpu load 100%

9. DBU for clipper summer'87

10. Clipper Summer '87 - functions bom() / eom()

11. Clipper Summer '87 & y2k

12. I need Clipper summer '87 Language reference