Win95 Freeze up with Clipper 5.2e
Author Message
 Win95 Freeze up with Clipper 5.2e

Hi,

   I was wondering if anyone has ever experienced the following problem:

  We have a Clipper application that we've recently started running
through a DOS box in Win 95.  At times (appears at random), it will
cause Win 95 to completely hang (keyboard frozen, mouse useless,
ctrl-alt-del doesn't work, etc). The only thing left to do at this point
is a hard reboot (which is probably not too healthy for Win 95 if done
too often).

   It seems that part of the problem is EMM386. If left in the
CONFIG.SYS file then it will cause the above 'freezing' problem. If
taken out, then the problem seems to disappear.

   The following EMM386 line is contained in the CONFIG.SYS file:

DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE RAM

We've also tried the following:

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS NOVCPI

but still seem to have the same problem.

One other thing we've noticed is that is seems to sometimes hang on the
PACK command (again this is sometimes, not always).

If anyone has any ideas please let me know.  Tks in advance.

Tony N.

Fri, 10 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Win95 Freeze up with Clipper 5.2e

Hi Toni

Quote:

>  We have a Clipper application that we've recently started running
>through a DOS box in Win 95.  At times (appears at random), it will
>cause Win 95 to completely hang (keyboard frozen, mouse useless,
>ctrl-alt-del doesn't work, etc).

The above sounds like normal behavior for W95 with many apps    :)

On the other hand it could be hardware -
Have you checked if there is a problem with the computer's memory?

Carl

Remove nospam! to reply by e-mail

Mon, 13 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Win95 Freeze up with Clipper 5.2e

Type the following in your autoexec.bat file:

SET CLIPPER=//E:0            <-- that's the number zero

don't forget to reboot before running your porgram.

If you want to test this first go to a DOS prompt and type the above
command.   Then run your program from that DOS window.  Hope this
helps.

John

On Mon, 25 May 1998 16:58:41 GMT, Tony Nikolaou

Quote:

>Hi,

>   I was wondering if anyone has ever experienced the following problem:

>  We have a Clipper application that we've recently started running
>through a DOS box in Win 95.  At times (appears at random), it will
>cause Win 95 to completely hang (keyboard frozen, mouse useless,
>ctrl-alt-del doesn't work, etc). The only thing left to do at this point
>is a hard reboot (which is probably not too healthy for Win 95 if done
>too often).

>   It seems that part of the problem is EMM386. If left in the
>CONFIG.SYS file then it will cause the above 'freezing' problem. If
>taken out, then the problem seems to disappear.

>   The following EMM386 line is contained in the CONFIG.SYS file:

>DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE RAM

>We've also tried the following:

>DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS NOVCPI

>but still seem to have the same problem.

>One other thing we've noticed is that is seems to sometimes hang on the
>PACK command (again this is sometimes, not always).

>If anyone has any ideas please let me know.  Tks in advance.

>Tony N.

Mon, 13 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Win95 Freeze up with Clipper 5.2e

Use stacks=xx,yy,buffers=30
Good luck
Jos Cuypers, Belgium.

Quote:

> Hi,

>    I was wondering if anyone has ever experienced the following problem:

>   We have a Clipper application that we've recently started running
> through a DOS box in Win 95.  At times (appears at random), it will
> cause Win 95 to completely hang (keyboard frozen, mouse useless,
> ctrl-alt-del doesn't work, etc). The only thing left to do at this point
> is a hard reboot (which is probably not too healthy for Win 95 if done
> too often).

>    It seems that part of the problem is EMM386. If left in the
> CONFIG.SYS file then it will cause the above 'freezing' problem. If
> taken out, then the problem seems to disappear.

>    The following EMM386 line is contained in the CONFIG.SYS file:

> DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE RAM

> We've also tried the following:

> DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS NOVCPI

> but still seem to have the same problem.

> One other thing we've noticed is that is seems to sometimes hang on the
> PACK command (again this is sometimes, not always).

> If anyone has any ideas please let me know.  Tks in advance.

> Tony N.

Tue, 14 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. CLIPPER 5.2e under Win95 - DOS Error 55

2. Clipper 5.2e Debugger under Win95

3. clipper 5.2e win95 dosbox printing

4. Win95, NT 4.0 Server, Clipper 5.2e - NEED HELP - URGENT

5. Clipper 5.2e apps and Win 3.11 / Win95

6. Clipper 5.2E under Win95

7. Clipper 5.2e and Win95 network

8. Clipper 5.2e and Win95 dos error 4

9. Clipper 5.2E Debugger & Win95

10. Win95, Cyrix 6x86, and Clipper 5.2e

11. How do you access LFN's in Win95 from CA-Clipper 5.2e

12. Win95 crash with Clipper 5.2e printing