Sync DBF/CDX - help
Author Message
 Sync DBF/CDX - help

Hi Gang,

I have databases growing everyday 1000 records per day.  I currently setup a
batch file to copy complete environment daily to another server just in
case.  The batch file takes almost 2 hours.

Is there any great sync tools for dbf/cdx files?  I don't feel like writing
one right now.

Thanks...
Sergio

Tue, 27 Dec 2005 06:29:07 GMT
 Sync DBF/CDX - help
hi,

Quote:
> batch file to copy complete environment daily to another server just in
> case.  The batch file takes almost 2 hours.

have you try to send compress data to the other server ?

Pkzip -a -rp -es *.DB* X:\Server2\Backup (use -es ...! )

greetings by OHR
Jimmy

Tue, 27 Dec 2005 09:54:31 GMT
 Sync DBF/CDX - help
I tried zipping, yes it saves space, but it still takes forever.
I need a tool to sync records.  All old records never change, we need them
only for reporting purposes
Let me do a search on google and see what I come with...
If anyone ese has ideas, please help, this file is large and I don't want to
copy or zip it everynight, it takes too long.....

Would love to sync the databases!
Later...
Sergio

Tue, 27 Dec 2005 11:47:30 GMT
 Sync DBF/CDX - help
If I understand you correctly, your OLD records NEVER change so you only
need to back up the current set ONCE and supplement THAT backup with 1000
record DAILY incrementals which shouldn't take much time. SYNCing the
databases should mean updating the rest using the INCREMENTALS. Is that it?

Mike

Quote:
> I tried zipping, yes it saves space, but it still takes forever.
> I need a tool to sync records.  All old records never change, we need them
> only for reporting purposes
> Let me do a search on google and see what I come with...
> If anyone ese has ideas, please help, this file is large and I don't want
> copy or zip it everynight, it takes too long.....

> Would love to sync the databases!
> Later...
> Sergio

Tue, 27 Dec 2005 13:58:20 GMT
 Sync DBF/CDX - help
Hook a routine into the RECLOCK and ADDREC function (that way you don't have
to think too much) that saves the records number or identifier to a
database. You then have a change log and can copy any changed records to a
backup database.

--
Ian Boys
DTE Systems Ltd

Tue, 27 Dec 2005 14:31:28 GMT
 Sync DBF/CDX - help

Quote:
> I tried zipping, yes it saves space, but it still takes forever.
> I need a tool to sync records.  All old records never change, we need them
> only for reporting purposes
> Let me do a search on google and see what I come with...
> If anyone ese has ideas, please help, this file is large and I don't want
> copy or zip it everynight, it takes too long.....

> Would love to sync the databases!
> Later...
> Sergio

too long. what part of your backup phase is taking most of time?

first, it seems to me that app is not fully optimized.
it is often usual to have current data that you are working on and they
changes,
and archive data, that are normaly unchanged, so you make a backup only of
relatively small part of overall data.
without that, during five, ten, twenty, thirty, and why not, even hundred
years
of using your app, data to backup may become really huge.

for syncing data over modem/dialup line, we use pcanywhere. it has so called
"speedsend" option, so between two locations it transfers only difference
of old and new data. pcanywhere may work over lan too.

although, as i said, don't know what part of process is slow.
100mhz network may transfer 30-40mb/s destinating backup server may
write 15-20mb/s or maybe even 100mb/s with fast disk subsys.
problem is the originating server. to make difference analyse, in any case
the whole database have to be scanned. the time consuption is allmost
as you make zipping.

if you are *sure* your old data is not changed, it is easy to make in
clipper "copy to difference_file for recno()>=new_data_recno"
so it copies only new 1000 or so records.

Tue, 27 Dec 2005 14:48:28 GMT
 Sync DBF/CDX - help

Quote:
>Hook a routine into the RECLOCK and ADDREC function (that way you don't have
>to think too much) that saves the records number or identifier to a
>database. You then have a change log and can copy any changed records to a
>backup database.

>--
>Ian Boys
>DTE Systems Ltd

Tired on a Friday evening, so beware of stupidity that may follow....

Why not just alter your application so that it appends to backup at
the same time as appending to the daily. The extra time will not be
noticed and you will not have any sync task to do later.

Regards,

Ross McKenzie
ValuSoft
Melbourne Australia

Tue, 27 Dec 2005 18:08:09 GMT
 Sync DBF/CDX - help

Quote:

> >Hook a routine into the RECLOCK and ADDREC function (that way you don't
have
> >to think too much) that saves the records number or identifier to a
> >database. You then have a change log and can copy any changed records to
> >backup database.

> >--
> >Ian Boys
> >DTE Systems Ltd

> Tired on a Friday evening, so beware of stupidity that may follow....

allready friday evening? happy boy!
we are still friday morning.

Tue, 27 Dec 2005 19:55:42 GMT

1. DBF / DBT Sync Error. Please Help

2. DBF and index files out of sync

3. Anyone know what dbf,cdx files are?

4. any tools for asp with dbf/cdx ?

5. accessing FoxPro DBF/CDX files

6. Free Visual Report Designer for DBF/CDX

7. req : Paradox4 db+px -> dbf+cdx

8. 32 bit CGI app with dbf/cdx ?

9. dbf/ntx/cdx corruption problems

10. DBF/FTP/CDX