Files under Windows NT Server 4.0 DOS ERROR 4 Clipper 5.2c
Author Message
 Files under Windows NT Server 4.0 DOS ERROR 4 Clipper 5.2c

Hi there,
        I have tried running Clipper 5.2c apps under a dos box in Windows NT
4.0 Server and Workstation and keep getting DOS ERROR 4.  If I run
these apps under WIN95 or DOS and use the "SET CLIPPER=\\f:55 they
work fine, but under NT this has no effect. Since NT has no config.sys
to set the file handles, how can you increase the file handles.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanking you in
advance.

Regards

Stuart MacKay

Sat, 01 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Files under Windows NT Server 4.0 DOS ERROR 4 Clipper 5.2c

Quote:
>Hi there,
>    I have tried running Clipper 5.2c apps under a dos box in Windows NT
>4.0 Server and Workstation and keep getting DOS ERROR 4.  If I run
>these apps under WIN95 or DOS and use the "SET CLIPPER=\\f:55 they
>work fine, but under NT this has no effect. Since NT has no config.sys
>to set the file handles, how can you increase the file handles.

First off, 5.2c was certainly one of the most buggy versions of
Clipper ever, so you should patch to 5.2e immediately.

But, that's not your problem above. There is a 'config.sys' in nt, but
it is not in the root directory, and it is not named config.sys.

It is config.nt and it is in the windows system directory.

---

             WWW  http://www.iag.net/~philb/
        FTP Site  ftp://ftp.iag.net/pub/clipper

  "Governments, like diapers, should be changed often
   and for the same reasons."

Sat, 01 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Files under Windows NT Server 4.0 DOS ERROR 4 Clipper 5.2c

[reply]

I think it is CONFIGNT.SYS from memory !

[snip]

 but under NT this has no effect. Since NT has no config.sys

Quote:
> to set the file handles, how can you increase the file handles.

> Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanking you in
> advance.

> Regards

> Stuart MacKay

Sun, 02 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Files under Windows NT Server 4.0 DOS ERROR 4 Clipper 5.2c

Quote:

>Hi there,
>    I have tried running Clipper 5.2c apps under a dos box in Windows NT
>4.0 Server and Workstation and keep getting DOS ERROR 4.  If I run
>these apps under WIN95 or DOS and use the "SET CLIPPER=\\f:55 they
>work fine, but under NT this has no effect. Since NT has no config.sys
>to set the file handles, how can you increase the file handles.
>Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanking you in
>advance.

Stuart,
I was getting errors even when I put the settings in using the
config.nt and autoexec.nt files found in the winnt/system32 directory.
I entered the values into the My Computer | Properties | Environment
and removed them from the autoexec.nt file.  So far, things seem to be
working.  The files= in the config.nt should be fine.
HTH, Myron

Sun, 02 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Files under Windows NT Server 4.0 DOS ERROR 4 Clipper 5.2c

[reply]

No its CONFIG.NT

[snip]

Quote:
> [reply]

> I think it is CONFIGNT.SYS from memory !

Mon, 03 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Files under Windows NT Server 4.0 DOS ERROR 4 Clipper 5.2c

Quote:
>  but under NT this has no effect. Since NT has no config.sys
> > to set the file handles, how can you increase the file handles.

> > Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanking you in
> > advance.

I think you are running a Clipper program from a DOS box so you can specify
a config.sys for each DOS box and place there the roght numer of FILES.

Tue, 11 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Files under Windows NT Server 4.0 DOS ERROR 4 Clipper 5.2c

The files to change in NT are:
        \winnt\system32\config.nt
        \winnt\system32\autoexec.nt

HTH
--
Steve Quinn
BRUTE Computer Services - Australia

http://www.brutecom.com.au

Quote:

> >  but under NT this has no effect. Since NT has no config.sys
> > > to set the file handles, how can you increase the file handles.

> > > Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanking you in
> > > advance.

> I think you are running a Clipper program from a DOS box so you can
specify
> a config.sys for each DOS box and place there the roght numer of FILES.

Wed, 26 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. DOS workstation attaching to NT 4.0 server using Clipper 5.2.e

2. DOS workstation attaching to NT 4.0 server running clipper 5.2e

3. DOS Error 55 using 5.2e/exospace/Win95 workstations/NT 4.0 server

4. Printproblems under Clipper 5.2c + Win NT 4.0

5. DOS ERROR (83) with Clipper on Win NT 4.0

6. Dos error 87 in Windows NT 4.0

7. MS Windows NT Server 4.0, Terminal Server Edition

8. MS Windows NT Server 4.0 - Terminal Server Edition

9. Windows NT, Clipper, DOS Error 55

10. DOS error 4 -- Windows NT client -- clipper app

11. reindexing from dos w/s on NT server 4.0

12. Win95, NT 4.0 Server, Clipper 5.2e - NEED HELP - URGENT