files of 8 character "AABKIJLE"
Author Message
 files of 8 character "AABKIJLE"

Whenever Clipper programs are being used some
temporary files are created in the same directory.
These have names like: AABKIJLE
They do not have extensions.
Sometimes they are deleted other times not.
They can be very big!
What are these files?
Thanks.
David

http://www.*-*-*.com/

--
Posted from web9602.mail.yahoo.com [216.136.129.181]
via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.*-*-*.com/

Tue, 13 Jan 2004 04:23:11 GMT
 files of 8 character "AABKIJLE"

Quote:

>Whenever Clipper programs are being used some
>temporary files are created in the same directory.
>These have names like: AABKIJLE
>They do not have extensions.
>Sometimes they are deleted other times not.
>They can be very big!
>What are these files?

Swap files (virtual memory), they are not deleted when the program
crash !

Tue, 13 Jan 2004 04:29:44 GMT
 files of 8 character "AABKIJLE"
David,

   When I start up my systems, I deliberately delete all files with no
extension.  This will get rid of all those temp files

-Mel

Tue, 13 Jan 2004 06:13:23 GMT
 files of 8 character "AABKIJLE"

Quote:
> David,

>    When I start up my systems, I deliberately delete all files with no
> extension.  This will get rid of all those temp files

Just be REAL careful where you point that!

--
Ray Marron

Tue, 13 Jan 2004 06:14:49 GMT
 files of 8 character "AABKIJLE"
On 26 Jul 2001 22:13:23 GMT, Mel Smith sez:

Quote:
>   When I start up my systems, I deliberately delete all files with no
>extension.  This will get rid of all those temp files

The danger there is that you're eliminating any evidence of a crash.
If you're finding a lot of those undeleted swap files, chances are
excellent that your index files are trashed.  There's also a better
than even chance the DBF itself is damaged, and if you're using
FPT memo fields I'd be very surprised if you didn't run into an
error 23 in the near future.

I'm able to use those files to prove that our customers aren't
playing nicely with the application.  Even a normal crash that
runs through the error handler will give Clipper time to erase
the swap files, so the ONLY way they can be left around is
if the application halted so abruptly that the error handler
didn't have time to clean up.  That means power off, clicking
that blankety-blank "X" to close the DOS window without
exiting the application first, tripping over the power cord,
ctrl-alt-DEL, etc.  I'll fire up PC-Anywhere and take a look
at their program directory and see a steady series of junk
files each day around 5:30 PM... and they want to tell me
they're not shutting down at the end of the day without
first quitting the program?  Sure, pull the other leg while
you're at it.

pbs (been there, done that, restored from the backup...)

Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY
----
If you reply by email, send it to pbs at com dot
canada (or vice-versa).  All adverti{*filter*}ts will be
returned to your postmaster, eh!

Tue, 13 Jan 2004 07:27:05 GMT
 files of 8 character "AABKIJLE"
Dear Folks,

   I have several clients whose 'operators' (i.e., medical billing clerks) had
the unbreakable habit of simply powering off the computer at the end of their
shift  and running for the door (& bus - I suppose).

   Since I couldn't stop this, and had really no way of easily eliminating this
practice, I built in to my start-up batch file, the capability of eliminating
all files with no extension in *my* directory.  Years ago, the presence of
these (sometimes) massive files constituted a problem. Maybe, this is not so
now.

   Also, sometimes my users try to create their own little extensionless
goodies or letters or whatever, this tends to stop that habit.

-Mel Smith

Wed, 14 Jan 2004 02:16:55 GMT
 files of 8 character "AABKIJLE"
Nice ideal you have there.  How about I one up you.  Add this to your link
script and you will be able to tell exactly who did the deed.

swappath:'C:\CLIP' temppath:'C:\CLIP'
It also keeps all those temp files off the server and network.    :)

--
Scott Burke

Quote:
> On 26 Jul 2001 22:13:23 GMT, Mel Smith sez:
> >   When I start up my systems, I deliberately delete all files with no
> >extension.  This will get rid of all those temp files

> The danger there is that you're eliminating any evidence of a crash.
> If you're finding a lot of those undeleted swap files, chances are
> excellent that your index files are trashed.  There's also a better
> than even chance the DBF itself is damaged, and if you're using
> FPT memo fields I'd be very surprised if you didn't run into an
> error 23 in the near future.

> I'm able to use those files to prove that our customers aren't
> playing nicely with the application.  Even a normal crash that
> runs through the error handler will give Clipper time to erase
> the swap files, so the ONLY way they can be left around is
> if the application halted so abruptly that the error handler
> didn't have time to clean up.  That means power off, clicking
> that blankety-blank "X" to close the DOS window without
> exiting the application first, tripping over the power cord,
> ctrl-alt-DEL, etc.  I'll fire up PC-Anywhere and take a look
> at their program directory and see a steady series of junk
> files each day around 5:30 PM... and they want to tell me
> they're not shutting down at the end of the day without
> first quitting the program?  Sure, pull the other leg while
> you're at it.

> pbs (been there, done that, restored from the backup...)

> Peter B. Steiger
> Cheyenne, WY
> ----
> If you reply by email, send it to pbs at com dot
> canada (or vice-versa).  All adverti{*filter*}ts will be
> returned to your postmaster, eh!

Tue, 13 Jan 2004 20:24:10 GMT

1. '"""' and linefeed characters

2. string.join(["Tk 4.2p2", "Python 1.4", "Win32", "free"], "for")

3. Characters "?", "?", "ΓΌ" shown in wrong font

4. The "LAMP" character

5. VW and "foreign" characters

6. "hexadecimal characters" in ST.

7. Check Characters "cc"