Clipper '87 Linker delete files!?
Author Message
 Clipper '87 Linker delete files!?

Just thought I'd ask the world in general about this one:

        We're running a 30-node Novell 3.11 network with various 286, 386
and 486 workstations.  Most of our applications are in Clipper '87.  I've
been re-working these applications, and I seem to have encountered a
serious bug in the linker, or maybe an incompatability with the network.
At random intervals and with several files the linker has reported something
on the order of 'End of file reached prematurely' or 'End of file not found',
dumps out, but DELETES THE SOURCE FILE THAT IT WAS WORKING ON.  The code is
just gone.  I am able to recover it using Salvage, but I don't think that
this should be happening.  Is this a bug with the Summer '87 release?
If you have any answers, please reply via e-mail.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Tue, 18 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper '87 Linker delete files!?
Dave -

You didn't say what linker you are using.  SInce you did mention S'87, I
assume you are talking about PLink.  If so, then run out and buy Blinker.
It will save you so much time that it will pay for itself in no time.

-- Clayton --

Tue, 18 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper '87 Linker delete files!?

Quote:
>Just thought I'd ask the world in general about this one:
>    We're running a 30-node Novell 3.11 network with various 286, 386
>and 486 workstations.  Most of our applications are in Clipper '87.  I've
>been re-working these applications, and I seem to have encountered a
>serious bug in the linker, or maybe an incompatability with the network.
>At random intervals and with several files the linker has reported something
>on the order of 'End of file reached prematurely' or 'End of file not found',
>dumps out, but DELETES THE SOURCE FILE THAT IT WAS WORKING ON.  The code is
>just gone.  I am able to recover it using Salvage, but I don't think that
>this should be happening.  Is this a bug with the Summer '87 release?
>If you have any answers, please reply via e-mail.
>Thanks in advance,
>Dave

Dave,

  What Clayton said, but I am a little confused.  Linkers use .OBJ
files, and should one of those be deleted, it is easy to recreate one
with the compiler which uses text-based .PRG files.  Which are being
destroyed - OBJs or PRGs?  Are you using a make utility of any kind?

Larry
L. M. Rappaport & Associates, Inc.       Voice +1.603.237.8400
P. O. Box 158                            Fax   +1.603.237.8430
Colebrook, NH 03576                      CIS   72427,2567

Thu, 20 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT
[...]

        It's deleting the PRG files.  I'm starting the process with a simple
DOS batch file, no make utility.  Somehow I don't see this behavior as being
correct...

Dave

Sun, 23 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper '87 Linker delete files!?

Quote:
>    It's deleting the PRG files.  I'm starting the process with a simple
>DOS batch file, no make utility.  Somehow I don't see this behavior as being
>correct...

You might want to post that batch file.

Larry

L. M. Rappaport & Associates, Inc.       Voice +1.603.237.8400
P. O. Box 158                            Fax   +1.603.237.8430
Colebrook, NH 03576                      CIS   72427,2567

Mon, 24 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper '87 Linker delete files!?
: You might want to post that batch file.

: Larry
: --

Here's the batch file.  It's actually one of the batch files that appeared
with the installation according to my system administrator here:

cls
Clipper %1
IF NOT ERRORLEVEL 1 Plink86 FI %1 LIB clipper,extend

While it's possible that the 'erase %1.OBJ' might kill a .PRG file if
I were starting this procedure passing in <filename>.PRG, with extension, as
%1, this isn't the case.  I have always started it as <filename>, no
extension.  I hope this might shed some light on the problem...

Thanks once again,

Dave

Mon, 24 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper '87 Linker delete files!?
Dave -

when the file is executed.

-- Clayton --

Mon, 24 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper '87 Linker delete files!?

Quote:

>Dave -

>when the file is executed.

That was polite. Executed is the correct word.

how much you want to bet he called the link script with the .PRG extension?

Tue, 25 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper '87 Linker delete files!?
: Dave -

: when the file is executed.

: -- Clayton --

Tried that.  I haven't been able to reproduce the problem yet without turning
echo off, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time.  In the mean time I'm not
getting any other information, just the command lines as they are executed.
The compiler and linker still show the same amount of information.

One point:  Clipper was installed to a network drive.  We are also going to
be rewiring soon due to poor quality lines in the building.  We have
sizable packet collision and retransmission rates right now.  Could deleting
the file be a result of a network error?  Then the linker's response is
to delete the file it was working on?  This really makes no sense since the
linker is working on .OBJ files, but perhaps an error in the network during
compilation is causing the COMPILER to delete the code file before it
completes the process.  This would explain the linker returning the "end of
file not found" or "...reached prematurely" errors;  the OBJ file was
not completed, and the compiler, being ignorant of the network, doesn't
return an error?  Just another little theory.  Any ideas along this line?

Dave

Tue, 25 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper '87 Linker delete files!?
And so spake David J Trudeau:
: Here's the batch file.  It's actually one of the batch files that appeared
: with the installation according to my system administrator here:

: cls
: Clipper %1
: IF NOT ERRORLEVEL 1 Plink86 FI %1 LIB clipper,extend
: erase %1.OBJ

<snip>

Having read a couple of the follow-ups to this message, I have two ideas:
first, make absolutely sure that this is the file that is being run (pathing
can be a wonderful thing).  Second, try adding the following lines:

  cls
  rem Check parameter first
  echo ...%1...
  dir %1
  pause
  Clipper %1
  rem Check that files are still there and right size
  dir %1
  pause
  IF NOT ERRORLEVEL 1 Plink86 FI %1 LIB clipper,extend
  rem Check that files are still there and right size
  dir %1
  pause
  erase %1.OBJ

Your statement that omitting ECHO OFF stops the problem is puzzling, although
it could be a workaround!  Good luck.

-Dave

--

 \_\_Database Guy\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_NASA Langley Research Center\_\_/_/
  \_\_I-NET, Inc. \_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_Hampton, {*filter*}ia, USA\_\_/

Tue, 25 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper '87 Linker delete files!?
The linker is not deleting the files, the batch file is.

The errant behaviour is very easy to duplicate, and to fix.

cls
Clipper %1
IF NOT ERRORLEVEL 1 Plink86 FI %1 LIB clipper,extend

Let's assume you run it with myfile.prg in %1.

Now, the batch file looks like this.

cls
Clipper myfile.prg
IF NOT ERRORLEVEL 1 Plink86 FI myfile.prg LIB clipper,extend

Now, do you know why the prg's are being deleted?

The fix is simple. Remove the .obj deleter.

Better yet, dump the batch file and switch to a make file.

Automate the process and stop doing it by hand, where mistakes are made
and time is wasted.

Good Luck!

P.S. You can get a full featured shareware copy of my make engine by
ftp'ing it from ftp.iag.net /pub/acme/pbmake17.zip

Then, send me some feedback, and I'll send you the registered version.

It solves your problem, saves you time and it's free. What could be better.

Wed, 26 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT

1. Linking S'87 Clipper files with C files

2. btrieve file open from clipper'87

3. Clipper S'87 NG file

4. Summer 87 -need linker for overlay files

5. Reading from COM1: (Clipper S'87 or Clipper 5.2)

6. Clipper Expert (S'87 - Clipper 5.3) needed in Atlanta area

7. Clipper '87 and printing under W'95

8. CLIPPER '87 '85 and Netware

9. Clipper Summer'87

10. Clipper '87 index problem under Windows/Novell

11. Clipper S'87 Library

12. Looking for Books For Clipper Summer '87