ADS AND ADSDOSIP
Author Message
 ADS AND ADSDOSIP

I'm unable to open shared tables (DBF) on a distant Netware server with ADS
6.0 using the tool ADSDOSIP (the two site are IP connected), is that due to
version 6.0 of ADS, do I need to upgrade to 6.2.
Any information about that problem?

Thanks a lot.

Patrick I.

Tue, 27 Dec 2005 00:40:46 GMT
 ADS AND ADSDOSIP
Patrick
I hope you are ready for "an earful".  There are at least two possible
reasons why this is not working.
[1] ADSDOSIP uses IP only (no IPX) and my limited network knowledge tells me
that the IP protocol does not work with Novell (I could be wrong).
[2] With ADS, if you try to use two separate servers in the same program,
you will get 6000 series errors or 7000 series errors from the ADS.  It does
not like it if you are trying to use files from two different ADS servers in
the same session.  I think this is a serious omission in ADS but to my
knowledge there is no work around or upgrade to fix this.  So, even in a
local network, the following code will fail on the second use command:
   use f:\myfile1.dbf shared (or whatever)
   use h:\myfile2.dbf shared new (or whatever)

ADS just does not like it when you try to use a file on a second drive
letter, even if you have a legitimate license for an ADS on the second drive
letter.

Where I work, we have a server mapped to Y: and one mapped to U:.  Each one
has a 250 user ADS license.  The above sample code will fail every time on
our system.

Perhaps this is your problem where you use some files from your local server
and then try to open some files in your remote server.

Hope this helps
Bill

Quote:
> I'm unable to open shared tables (DBF) on a distant Netware server with
> 6.0 using the tool ADSDOSIP (the two site are IP connected), is that due
> version 6.0 of ADS, do I need to upgrade to 6.2.
> Any information about that problem?

> Thanks a lot.

> Patrick I.

Thu, 29 Dec 2005 20:50:12 GMT
 ADS AND ADSDOSIP

Quote:

>Patrick
>I hope you are ready for "an earful".  There are at least two possible
>reasons why this is not working.
>[1] ADSDOSIP uses IP only (no IPX) and my limited network knowledge tells me
>that the IP protocol does not work with Novell (I could be wrong).

You are - IP has been the default protocol in Netware since v5.0 -
i.e. for the last 5 years.

There is nothing to stop you installing an IP stack in earlier
versions, it's just that practically none of the Netware subsystems
understood IP prior to v5.

Fri, 30 Dec 2005 02:35:11 GMT
 ADS AND ADSDOSIP
Thanks, Nick

Then my comment [2] in my earlier post would be the thing to check out.

Regards,
Bill

Quote:

> >Patrick
> >I hope you are ready for "an earful".  There are at least two possible
> >reasons why this is not working.
> >[1] ADSDOSIP uses IP only (no IPX) and my limited network knowledge tells
me
> >that the IP protocol does not work with Novell (I could be wrong).

> You are - IP has been the default protocol in Netware since v5.0 -
> i.e. for the last 5 years.

> There is nothing to stop you installing an IP stack in earlier
> versions, it's just that practically none of the Netware subsystems
> understood IP prior to v5.

Fri, 30 Dec 2005 17:50:20 GMT

1. Converting ADS/Netware to ADS/NT

2. meeting others through personal ads (advertisement)

3. Availablity ads a sign of weakness or strength?

4. Availability ads a sign of weakness or strength?

5. Free Smalltalk Ads

6. ADS DOS PC anywhere advice..

7. ADS question about FPT

8. New DBMax version with ADS support available

9. ADS guide

10. From Comix to ADS [?]

11. Printer error with ADS

12. Slow Clipper/ADS/NT/IPX