Internal Error '4412'
Author Message
 Internal Error '4412'

Hello,
        Could anyone please help. We have written a database program which when
re-indexed quits half way through with error message number : 4412. The
error does not appear to happen every time or in the same location of the
database so tracking down the exact problem is proving quite difficult.
After consulting the Clipper help files, Clipper cites the number as a
'magic number' with no known cause.
 Thank you.
Mark.

Sun, 30 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Internal Error '4412'

On 13 Aug 1997 04:27:11 GMT, "mark butterworth"

Quote:

>Hello,
>    Could anyone please help. We have written a database program which when
>re-indexed quits half way through with error message number : 4412. The
>error does not appear to happen every time or in the same location of the
>database so tracking down the exact problem is proving quite difficult.
>After consulting the Clipper help files, Clipper cites the number as a
>'magic number' with no known cause.
> Thank you.
>Mark.

If you are using Clipper 5.2e, the workaround is to copy the file's
structure to a new file, index the new (empty file) and set the
indicies - then append from the oldfile. Rename as appropriate.
Time consuming, but it alledgedly works.

CA was aware of this bug and the solution and refused to fix 5.2e.
I have not seen this problem reported in 5.3 ( with the possible
exception of the original 5.30 before the sortof.obj patch.)

Jo

Sun, 30 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Internal Error '4412'

On 13 Aug 1997 04:27:11 GMT, "mark butterworth"

Quote:
>Hello,
>    Could anyone please help. We have written a database program which when
>re-indexed quits half way through with error message number : 4412. The
>error does not appear to happen every time or in the same location of the
>database so tracking down the exact problem is proving quite difficult.
>After consulting the Clipper help files, Clipper cites the number as a
>'magic number' with no known cause.
> Thank you.

Mark

This is what is in the Clipper 5.3 NG.  It may be of some help, I'm
not ...

4412    Indexing miscalculation

    Explanation:  This error occurs during indexing if there has been a
    miscalculation of how indexing should occur.

    Action:  Some suggestions to resolve the problem are:

    1. Try increasing available conventional memory for indexing operation.

    2. Try indexing using a small test program.

    3. Test recreating the index with one more or one less database record.

    4. Test recreating the index with one more or one less byte in the key
       expression.

    5. Test adding CHR(0) to the key.

    6. Test with the E:0 parameter in the SET CLIPPER environment variable.

    Note:  The LEN( CHR(0) ) is one byte, the LEN("") is 0 bytes.  Test
    with combinations of the above suggestions.

    See Also:  "The Runtime Environment" chapter of the Programming and
    Utilities Guide.

Lots of luck ... would appreciate knowing what you eventually find.

AND remember the VO UserGroup meeting tomorrow night.
Don Andersen

Strathpine, Queensland, Australia
+61 07 3881 2432

** please remove "No#Spam." to e-mail me **

Sun, 30 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Internal Error '4412'

On 13 Aug 1997 04:27:11 GMT, "mark butterworth"

Quote:

>Hello,
>    Could anyone please help. We have written a database program which when
>re-indexed quits half way through with error message number : 4412. The
>error does not appear to happen every time or in the same location of the
>database so tracking down the exact problem is proving quite difficult.
>After consulting the Clipper help files, Clipper cites the number as a
>'magic number' with no known cause.

You will, of course, bless us with the details of versions of what you
are using, right?

---

             WWW  http://www.iag.net/~philb/
        FTP Site  ftp://ftp.iag.net/pub/clipper