Cl 5.01, Win '95, Novell 3.11 and NetLib 6.0e (N_SLock())
Author Message
 Cl 5.01, Win '95, Novell 3.11 and NetLib 6.0e (N_SLock())

Hi all,

We have some Clipper legacy apps that use NetLib's N_SLock() function to
lock a semaphore for each user based on a string and the next available
semaphore number.

   FUNCTION SEM_LOCK(cStr)
   LOCAL X,RETVAL=""
   IF cStr==NIL
     cStr:="USER"
   ENDIF
   FOR X:=1 TO 25
     IF N_SLOCK(cStr+TRIM(STR(X)))
       RetVal:=cStr+trim(str(x))
       EXIT
     ENDIF
   NEXT
   IF X>=25
     RETVAL=""
   ENDIF
   RETURN RETVAL

We can use other functions then to count the number of USER semaphores
locked.  This gave us a true usercount even if programs were exited
"illegally".

We recently converted most workstations to Windows '95 and have noticed
that our apps running in Win '95 no longer set or read the sempaphore
locks.  The few stations still on DOS/Win 3.1 do recognize each others
locks though.

Any insights?
Thanks
Chuck

Sat, 14 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Cl 5.01, Win '95, Novell 3.11 and NetLib 6.0e (N_SLock())

Hello Chuck:

The version of NetLib you are running does not support Windows 95.

You will need to upgrade to NetLib 6.5 for semaphore locks to run
correctly on Windows 95 workstations.

The NetLib homepage is at http://www.netlib.com, or you can call
Communication Horizons at 203-656-0448.

Truly,

Maureen

--
Maureen Weicher
Communication Horizons

http://www.netlib.com

Quote:

> Hi all,

> We have some Clipper legacy apps that use NetLib's N_SLock() function to
> lock a semaphore for each user based on a string and the next available
> semaphore number.

>    FUNCTION SEM_LOCK(cStr)
>    LOCAL X,RETVAL=""
>    IF cStr==NIL
>      cStr:="USER"
>    ENDIF
>    FOR X:=1 TO 25
>      IF N_SLOCK(cStr+TRIM(STR(X)))
>        RetVal:=cStr+trim(str(x))
>        EXIT
>      ENDIF
>    NEXT
>    IF X>=25
>      RETVAL=""
>    ENDIF
>    RETURN RETVAL

> We can use other functions then to count the number of USER semaphores
> locked.  This gave us a true usercount even if programs were exited
> "illegally".

> We recently converted most workstations to Windows '95 and have noticed
> that our apps running in Win '95 no longer set or read the sempaphore
> locks.  The few stations still on DOS/Win 3.1 do recognize each others
> locks though.

> Any insights?
> Thanks
> Chuck

Tue, 17 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. CPD 2.1 App on Novell 3.11 fails with Win '95

2. Win 3.11 vs Win 95 (For Arnor)

3. Problem with Novell Netware 3.12+win'95 station+funcion disksize(funcky)

4. Read Error on Novell Network, Win'95 Node

5. WFW 3.11 won't run CW 2.0 APP

6. TLINK 7.1.32.2 (from BC++ 5.01) won't link DLL

7. Novell 4.1 and Win 95 (slow?)

8. WIN.95, NOVELL 4.1, CLIENT32 AND PRINTING ERRORS

9. How send to printer under Windows 3.11, Windows 95

10. BLT for Windows 3.11/95

11. upgrading novell 3.11 to 4.1

12. Dos Error 5 in novell 3.11 with clipper 5.3a