Non working Clipper program - help!
Author Message
 Non working Clipper program - help!

I wrote a program years ago for running mouse and rat shows (yes, really). I
wrote it in GW BASIC, then dBaseII, III, and finally ported it into Clipper
and it has ended up in version 5.2. I amend it occasionally but it does all
that my club needs. It has worked on everything from an XT upwards but
suddenly it doesn't work any more. I get "illegal operation" and then
messages like "The program tried to execute and invalid instruction". I know
it is because it is a faster computer as it runs fine on a slower machine.
Any ideas? One will be to simply use a slower machine, but that is a bit of
a nuisance. Thanks
Eric

Thu, 07 Apr 2005 07:10:00 GMT
 Non working Clipper program - help!

Quote:
>I wrote a program years ago for running mouse and rat shows (yes, really). I
>wrote it in GW BASIC, then dBaseII, III, and finally ported it into Clipper
>and it has ended up in version 5.2. I amend it occasionally but it does all
>that my club needs. It has worked on everything from an XT upwards but
>suddenly it doesn't work any more. I get "illegal operation" and then
>messages like "The program tried to execute and invalid instruction". I know
>it is because it is a faster computer as it runs fine on a slower machine.
>Any ideas? One will be to simply use a slower machine, but that is a bit of
>a nuisance. Thanks
>Eric

Hi Eric,

You haven't given us much to work with.

Is this a Windows DOS box?

Real mode or protected?

3rd party libraries?

Does the "illegal operation" always happen at the same place/time?

What on-screen error messages, module/line numbers are displayed?

Over to you...

Regards,

Ross McKenzie
ValuSoft
Melbourne Australia

Thu, 07 Apr 2005 08:49:42 GMT
 Non working Clipper program - help!
Eric

It sounds like you need R6003fix.zip from the OASIS.

        Oasis WWW  http://www.the-oasis.net
         FTP Site  ftp://ftp.the-oasis.net
      Clipper FAQ  http://www.the-oasis.net/clipper.html
  Harbour Project  http://www.Harbour-Project.org

--
HTH
Steve Quinn

Thu, 07 Apr 2005 09:19:48 GMT
 Non working Clipper program - help!
Sorry - happens in a DOS box, running straight from DOS, running off a
floppy in DOS (its a small program). There are no third party libraries -
it's Clipper 5.2 as it comes. Clipper Tools is used as well. (I'm not a
professional programmer by the way). I'm convinced that it is something to
do with the operation of the indexes and speed of the processor. By the way,
I can compile/link the program on the fast computer and it will crash on
running. But run the same compiled program on the slower machine and its
fine. The simplest module is supposed to open each of 6 databases one at a
time and produce some indexes. Iy just does illegal operation (in the DOS
box) and says that the program tried to execute an invalid istruction with
fault location 42DB:4548. The DOS box vanishes on OK with no messages at
all.
Thanks
Eric

Quote:

> >I wrote a program years ago for running mouse and rat shows (yes,
really). I
> >wrote it in GW BASIC, then dBaseII, III, and finally ported it into
Clipper
> >and it has ended up in version 5.2. I amend it occasionally but it does
all
> >that my club needs. It has worked on everything from an XT upwards but
> >suddenly it doesn't work any more. I get "illegal operation" and then
> >messages like "The program tried to execute and invalid instruction". I
know
> >it is because it is a faster computer as it runs fine on a slower
machine.
> >Any ideas? One will be to simply use a slower machine, but that is a bit
of
> >a nuisance. Thanks
> >Eric

> Hi Eric,

> You haven't given us much to work with.

> Is this a Windows DOS box?

> Real mode or protected?

> 3rd party libraries?

> Does the "illegal operation" always happen at the same place/time?

> What on-screen error messages, module/line numbers are displayed?

> Over to you...

> Regards,

> Ross McKenzie
> ValuSoft
> Melbourne Australia

Thu, 07 Apr 2005 09:21:24 GMT
 Non working Clipper program - help!
I think you're looking too close at it.
It is likely a memory problem.
Hardware trouble.
Exchange your memory hardware from your pc to check.
good luck.

Steven

Quote:
> Eric

> It sounds like you need R6003fix.zip from the OASIS.

>         Oasis WWW  http://www.the-oasis.net
>          FTP Site  ftp://ftp.the-oasis.net
>       Clipper FAQ  http://www.the-oasis.net/clipper.html
>   Harbour Project  http://www.Harbour-Project.org

> --
> HTH
> Steve Quinn
> http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
> 'I want to move to Theory...Everything works in Theory'

Sat, 09 Apr 2005 18:33:36 GMT
 Non working Clipper program - help!

Quote:
> Sorry - happens in a DOS box, running straight from DOS, running off a
> floppy in DOS (its a small program).

The Dos - you mean Win9x DOS or some MS-DOS 6.xx? If it is MS-DOS<6.22, you
may have some problems with EMM386.EXE. Use HIMEM.SYS and EMM386.EXE from
your Win9x box instead.

Quote:
>  There are no third party libraries -
> it's Clipper 5.2 as it comes. Clipper Tools is used as well.
> But run the same compiled program on the slower machine
> and its fine.

Patch Clipper to 5.2e version and use patched CA-Tools.
It could be R6003 error...

But it could be also something with your hardware. Check RAM and coolers.

And it could be something about Dos-box settings, I think. Here are some
hints:

1. In CONFIG.SYS use lines (running from Win-DOS or from Windows 9x
excluding WinME)

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS
FILES=255

2. In AUTOEXEC.BAT add lines

SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET CLIPPER=//F:250 //E:0 //SWAPPATH:'%TEMP%' //TEMPPATH:'%TEMP%'

3. If you run your app only from Dos-box in Windows9x, in SYSTEM.INI add
lines in section

[386Enh]
PerVMFiles=225
LocalLoadHigh=On

4. Check MSDOS.SYS for line LoadTop=0. If it is present, remove it or change
LoadTop=1

--
Regards from the Harbour mirror in Poland
Andrzej P. Wozniak

http://www.harbour.pl.eu.org/

Wed, 13 Apr 2005 09:44:10 GMT
 Non working Clipper program - help!
Quote:

> I think you're looking too close at it.
> It is likely a memory problem.
> Hardware trouble.
> Exchange your memory hardware from your pc to check.
> good luck.

> Steven

> > Eric

> > It sounds like you need R6003fix.zip from the OASIS.

> >         Oasis WWW  http://www.the-oasis.net
> >          FTP Site  ftp://ftp.the-oasis.net
> >       Clipper FAQ  http://www.the-oasis.net/clipper.html
> >   Harbour Project  http://www.Harbour-Project.org

> > --
> > HTH
> > Steve Quinn
> > http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
> > 'I want to move to Theory...Everything works in Theory'

Eric,
I had programs which run perfectly on DOS, but not on the DOS window
of W98, simply because of memory protection.  Those programs would
erase an index file before it was closed, and would work perfectly on
DOS.  On the DOS window of W98 or equivalent, I just had to close the
relevant files (e.g. CLOSE ALL) before doing the house-cleaning.
Hope this helps.
PC

Wed, 13 Apr 2005 10:30:36 GMT

1. I'm Portuguese and I need work (Clipper Programming)

2. clipper program doesn'nt work correctly

3. I want to work overseas for CLIPPER PROGRAMMING

4. Help with "work-area in clipper summer 87

5. Calling a non-COBOL program from a COBOL program on OS/390

6. HELP!!!Program stopped work!!!

7. help, can't get this move shape program to work

8. help: program works when I step thru but not while run to cursor

9. Clipper Programs under Windows95/98: HELP (new email)

10. Clipper programs under WINDOWS95 /98: HELP!!

11. Help: Clipper Program Running On NT

12. NEED HELP - Random exit in clipper 5.3 program !!!