Real vs. Protected mode
Author Message
 Real vs. Protected mode

What is the difference?  What are advantages of each?  Thanks.

Mon, 01 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Real vs. Protected mode
Hi Michael

Go to www.binkinc.com
and read Blinker info.

--

Jos Zouain
Zeta Concepts, Inc.

Zeta Pro - Inventory Control Accounting System
www.zetaconcepts.com

Mon, 01 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Real vs. Protected mode

Quote:

> Hi Michael

> Go to www.binkinc.com
> and read Blinker info.

> --

> Jos Zouain
> Zeta Concepts, Inc.

> Zeta Pro - Inventory Control Accounting System
> www.zetaconcepts.com

I took a look at that page.  Perhaps I missed it, but I did not see an
explanation of the difference between "real" and "protected" modes and
why one would use one or the other.  Please explain.

Fri, 05 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Real vs. Protected mode

Quote:
> explanation of the difference between "real" and "protected" modes and
> why one would use one or the other.  Please explain.

In real mode, your program must reside beyond by the 640k frontier.
In the protected mode, the program may acces (upon the linker and the way
you link) the memory over the 640 k, up to 16 Mb I think ??
So, the big difference is the size limitation of your executable.
Overlays are a nice way to fight and win about RAM limitation.

If I'm wrong, anybody, correct me!  : )

Tony

Fri, 05 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Real Mode vs. Protected Mode

2. real mode vs protected mode

3. Flat real mode vs Protected mode

4. Protected Mode / Real Address Mode

5. protected-mode and real-mode

6. Protected mode call in Real Mode

7. switching from protected mode to real mode

8. real mode or protected mode?

9. protected to real mode switch / also unreal mode

10. Segmented addressing real mode and protected mode

11. Protected mode memory access in real mode problem?

12. How to return from 386 protected mode to real-mode