Clipper Tools III Netware Functions & Win 95
Author Message
 Clipper Tools III Netware Functions & Win 95

Wow! What a windfall - I just ran across this newsgroup today and I hope
someone can help me out!

I've been experiencing some awfully strange things dealing with my
legacy Clipper programs under 95 (well, they're not THAT old, actually)
and the way the Clipper apps handle print services on Novell 3.x.  If I
compile under 5.3b and link with exospace, the bindery won't get read
correctly & I get a bunch of upper (>128) ASCII junk read in as "Printer
Queues"; if I link with Blinker (real mode), it reads the bindery just
fine and gives me a list of the currently existing print queues.
Unfortunately, in both scenarios I get a logical .F. returning from the
NNETSETQ function call, which should set the LPT port of my choice
directly to the print queue of my choice.  No error message, no
explanation, no docs. Weird, huh?  My best guess at this time is that
the Microsofty Netware Client doesn't like handling printer capture
functions and I'm stuck.  From what I've read here, there also appears
to be even worse problems using Novell's Client32 with DOS apps, Clipper
in particular.

If anyone has any ideas, I sure would appreciate it!

Sinc.
Bryan Hepkema

Sat, 18 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper Tools III Netware Functions & Win 95

Quote:

> Wow! What a windfall - I just ran across this newsgroup today and I hope
> someone can help me out!

> I've been experiencing some awfully strange things dealing with my
> legacy Clipper programs under 95 (well, they're not THAT old, actually)
> and the way the Clipper apps handle print services on Novell 3.x.  If I
> compile under 5.3b and link with exospace, the bindery won't get read
> correctly & I get a bunch of upper (>128) ASCII junk read in as "Printer
> Queues"; if I link with Blinker (real mode), it reads the bindery just
> fine and gives me a list of the currently existing print queues.
> Unfortunately, in both scenarios I get a logical .F. returning from the
> NNETSETQ function call, which should set the LPT port of my choice
> directly to the print queue of my choice.  No error message, no
> explanation, no docs. Weird, huh?  My best guess at this time is that
> the Microsofty Netware Client doesn't like handling printer capture
> functions and I'm stuck.  From what I've read here, there also appears
> to be even worse problems using Novell's Client32 with DOS apps, Clipper
> in particular.

> If anyone has any ideas, I sure would appreciate it!

> Sinc.
> Bryan Hepkema

I have experienced this only once on a machine where I installed
Novells CLient32 over an existing installation of MS Client for
Novell NetWare. And Im afraid I could not get it working until now.

On every other WIN/95 system I tried it works fine with both clients
mentioned above.

Have you tried some other machines or does it happen on every PC ???

Did you try a complete re-install of WIN/95 ?

Which release of WIN/95 are you using ?

regds
thomas

Sat, 18 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper Tools III Netware Functions & Win 95

Quote:

> >>...the way the Clipper apps handle print services on Novell 3.x.  If
> > compile under 5.3b and link with exospace, the bindery won't get
> read
> > correctly & I get a bunch of upper (>128) ASCII junk read in as
> "Printer
> > Queues"; if I link with Blinker (real mode), it reads the bindery
> just
> > fine and gives me a list of the currently existing print queues.
> > Unfortunately, in both scenarios I get a logical .F. returning from
> the
> > NNETSETQ function call, which should set the LPT port of my choice
> > directly to the print queue of my choice.  No error message, no
> > explanation, no docs. Weird, huh?  My best guess at this time is
> that
> > the Microsofty Netware Client doesn't like handling printer capture
> > functions and I'm stuck.  From what I've read here, there also
> appears
> > to be even worse problems using Novell's Client32 with DOS apps,
> Clipper
> > in particular.

> > If anyone has any ideas, I sure would appreciate it!

> > Sinc.
> > Bryan Hepkema

> I have experienced this only once on a machine where I installed
> Novells CLient32 over an existing installation of MS Client for
> Novell NetWare. And Im afraid I could not get it working until now.

> On every other WIN/95 system I tried it works fine with both clients
> mentioned above.

> Have you tried some other machines or does it happen on every PC ???

> Did you try a complete re-install of WIN/95 ?

> Which release of WIN/95 are you using ?

> regds
> thomas

Thanks for the response.

This phenom seems to occur on every station w/95 (both 4.00.950 & OSR2,
rev. B y'know, the OEM ver.), which at this point is driving me crazy.
I might have to resort to pullng out all the queue selection routines
and hoping the user has their LPT ports set to the correct (or desired)
queue prior to running the clipper app. I don't know if there's an
additional patch for Clipper Tools III specific to 95 or not (can't find
one yet) , but I get the feeling CA moved on to other things a LONG time
ago. My gut is that the last patch I applied to CTIII for protected mode
compatibility (CTUSP.obj & CTP.lib) was the final hurrah for these
functions.

You said you couldn't get print services working until now, or simply
printing from a DOS app like Clipper?
BTW, local print services seem to work fine, it's the capturing to a
queue that's problematic. As long as I'm on the subject, what's going to
happen to the CTIII network functions when I upgrade the Novell server
to Intranetware (4.11)? I'll betcha none of these functions work
properly with NDS - bindery emulation mode or not.

Please, let me know if you have any ideas 'bout this.

appreciatively,
BH

Sun, 19 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper Tools III Netware Functions & Win 95

Quote:

<Stuff Clipped>

> Thanks for the response.

> This phenom seems to occur on every station w/95 (both 4.00.950 & OSR2,
> rev. B y'know, the OEM ver.), which at this point is driving me crazy.
> I might have to resort to pullng out all the queue selection routines
> and hoping the user has their LPT ports set to the correct (or desired)
> queue prior to running the clipper app. I don't know if there's an
> additional patch for Clipper Tools III specific to 95 or not (can't find
> one yet) , but I get the feeling CA moved on to other things a LONG time
> ago. My gut is that the last patch I applied to CTIII for protected mode
> compatibility (CTUSP.obj & CTP.lib) was the final hurrah for these
> functions.

I've not had this problem at all. However, I've not tried Clipper 5.3b
yet. I'm still using Clipper 5.2e and Clipper Tools III in protected
mode using Blinker 4 as a linker and it all seems to work fine. I've
not applied the Tools III patch for 5.3 either.

Quote:
> You said you couldn't get print services working until now, or simply
> printing from a DOS app like Clipper?
> BTW, local print services seem to work fine, it's the capturing to a
> queue that's problematic. As long as I'm on the subject, what's going to
> happen to the CTIII network functions when I upgrade the Novell server
> to Intranetware (4.11)? I'll betcha none of these functions work
> properly with NDS - bindery emulation mode or not.

We've been using IntraNetware 4.11 for about 6 months now (with bindary
emulation enabled) and the Tools III Netware stuff works without
problems.
You do need to use the VLM client (not NETX) althought Client 32 may
work
aswell, we've not tried it yet.

Quote:
> Please, let me know if you have any ideas 'bout this.

> appreciatively,
> BH

Applications Programmer/Network Manager  Phone : (+44) (0)1865 224149
Diabetes Research, RI, Oxford, England     Fax : (+44) (0)1865 723884

Sun, 19 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper Tools III Netware Functions & Win 95

Quote:

> Thanks for the response.

> This phenom seems to occur on every station w/95 (both 4.00.950 & OSR2,
> rev. B y'know, the OEM ver.), which at this point is driving me crazy.
> I might have to resort to pullng out all the queue selection routines
> and hoping the user has their LPT ports set to the correct (or desired)
> queue prior to running the clipper app. I don't know if there's an
> additional patch for Clipper Tools III specific to 95 or not (can't find
> one yet)

Thats really crazy; we have some 10 or 20 customers that use our
Clipper 5.3x app much longer than just one week on Netware 3.x / 4.x
with almost every type of Netware Client and have never experienced
something like this !

Quote:
>, but I get the feeling CA moved on to other things a LONG time
> ago.

100 % right !

Quote:
> You said you couldn't get print services working until now, or simply
> printing from a DOS app like Clipper?

Its not the print services, its the NNET-Capture functions and
CAPTURE.EXE and NPRINT.EXE that are not working. Printing from
WIN95 with WINDOWS-apps works ok !!! (only on one PC with
Novells Client32)

Quote:
> BTW, local print services seem to work fine, it's the capturing to a
> queue that's problematic.

Thats it !!!

Quote:
>As long as I'm on the subject, what's going to
> happen to the CTIII network functions when I upgrade the Novell server
> to Intranetware (4.11)? I'll betcha none of these functions work
> properly with NDS - bindery emulation mode or not.

As I said before, we have also customers with Netware 4.x running
( with bindery emulation ) and everything works just fine

Quote:

> Please, let me know if you have any ideas 'bout this.

??? maybe ask novell directly if they have any idea ?!!?!

I must admit I have no idea what to do about this, sorry...

regds
thomas

Sun, 19 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Clipper Tools III Netware Functions & Win 95

On Wed, 02 Jul 1997 06:56:15 -0500, "Bryan Hepkema, CNE"

Quote:

>BTW, local print services seem to work fine, it's the capturing to a
>queue that's problematic. As long as I'm on the subject, what's going to
>happen to the CTIII network functions when I upgrade the Novell server
>to Intranetware (4.11)? I'll betcha none of these functions work
>properly with NDS - bindery emulation mode or not.

>Please, let me know if you have any ideas 'bout this.

Get NetLib. Which works with or without bindery emulation, and works
with Netware or MS servers.

---

             WWW  http://www.iag.net/~philb/
        FTP Site  ftp://ftp.iag.net/pub/clipper

Mon, 20 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Clipper 5.2e / Netware 3.12 / Win 95 Problem

2. Dos error 5 in Clipper with Win 95 and Netware 3.12

3. reading netware-right's with CLIPPER-Tools III

4. Clipper Tools III Netware

5. Clipper Tools Netware functions

6. NNETWHOAMI function from Clipper Code Tools III

7. CA-Clipper Tools III and COM-Functions (COM_KEY)

8. Problem with KEYSEC() (tools III) & CLIPPER 5.3

9. clipper & Win 95

10. Compaq, Clipper & Win-95

11. Need VHDL tools for Win NT/ Win 95

12. Problem with Novell Netware 3.12+win'95 station+funcion disksize(funcky)