SuccessWare SIX driver
Author Message
 SuccessWare SIX driver

Hi to DBFCDX users,

I have been using the lite version of the SIX driver that came with 5.2e
and is considering the usage of the full version. I know that the SIX
driver is still not 5.3a compatible while COMIX is. I am also aware that
the DBFCDX that came with 5.3 is actually the lite version of COMIX.

What I like to know is whether there are any know bugs in the SIX driver
which remained unfixed and there is no workaround ? I was told by a
comp.lang.clipper personality that he reported a bug to Successware who
flatly refuse to fix it !

Why should I then consider the SIX driver ?

Well, I currently use 5.2e for DOS apps and 5.2e+FiveWin for 16bit
Windows apps. Until there is a 32bit FiveWin or a stable VO 2.0 <grin>, I
am playing with delphi 2.0 + Appollo (also from Successware) which is
supposed to allow the usage of clipper files with Delphi. The idea is to
have a DOS front end for data entry intensive tasks and a Windows backend
for usage by top management. As such, it is absolutely necessary for
files sharing between DOS & Windows apps.

Any opinions are welcomed & TIA

Regards

Chee Chong Hwa
Penang, MALAYSIA

http://www.*-*-*.com/
http://www.*-*-*.com/ (CCH Software Solution Sdn Bhd)
http://www.*-*-*.com/ (CCH Web Services Sdn Bhd)

Thu, 14 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 SuccessWare SIX driver

Quote:

> Hi to DBFCDX users,

> I have been using the lite version of the SIX driver that came with 5.2e
> and is considering the usage of the full version. I know that the SIX
> driver is still not 5.3a compatible while COMIX is. I am also aware that
> the DBFCDX that came with 5.3 is actually the lite version of COMIX.

> What I like to know is whether there are any know bugs in the SIX driver
> which remained unfixed and there is no workaround ? I was told by a
> comp.lang.clipper personality that he reported a bug to Successware who
> flatly refuse to fix it !

Chee,

I am now using SIxDriver with Clipper 5.2e. DBF and DBF Files count to approx
200 and size approx 250 MB. I am using SIXNSX ( Not SIXCDX ). It run well on
Netware 3.12 with minimum 50 users at any one time. The apps has been around
for more than 2 years. But yet I do not experience any bug. If there is,
whare is it supposed to be ? I just switched to SIxDriver Version 3 with
enhancement in hypertext searching and date field manipulation. It run well.

The thing is I did not notice Speed Enhancement between Version 3 and Version
2.

If anybody knows where the bugs are, please speak up. I am sweating hearing
that.
---
Andi Jahja
Jakarta, INDONESIA
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/4231/index.html

Thu, 14 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 SuccessWare SIX driver

Chee Chong HWA wrote :
[SNIP]

Quote:
>  The idea is to
> have a DOS front end for data entry intensive tasks and a Windows backend
> for usage by top management. As such, it is absolutely necessary for
> files sharing between DOS & Windows apps.

The most sensible idea i have heard in a long time !!

I have certain s/w systems written for fire/rescue/security control centers where
the users currently input data at a blinding speed. I designed/wrote the whole
system , but some times i have difficulty following those operators who have been
using the system for a year or two.
I have had various requests for a windows version , but could never see how they
could get the same speed in windows. They can input data on a 386 faster than
you could ever hope on a P166 & windows.

I have been toying around with this for a number of months and have also
concluded that the only solution is for a dos front end with management reports in
windows.

BTW reason No. 2 for keeping the dos front-end is that the system tells the
operator what questions to ask & in which order (since the answer to any given
question affects what question should be asked next) so that they do not have to
think, only react. The last thing you need is an operator with a mouse deciding the
order of Q & A for him/herself. This way the system also trains the user operator
as they go along. Basically as you  limit the options, you decrease the thinking
time hence increase the speed of input.
As for the problem of an operator handling more than one call at a time , dos
boxes in windoze and the ALT-TAB seems to do the trick.

Sean Webb

"Windows 3.1x/95 are GUI layers not O/S's"

Thu, 14 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 SuccessWare SIX driver

Quote:
>What I like to know is whether there are any know bugs in the SIX driver
>which remained unfixed and there is no workaround ? I was told by a
>comp.lang.clipper personality that he reported a bug to Successware who
>flatly refuse to fix it !

Hi Chee,

I know about only one bug in 5.2e DBFCDX, important, that this is only
present in the *international* version of CA-Clipper. The problem has
now been confirmed by CA.  David Lyon wrote me that CA (UK section)
will try to send some workaround for that. So, I'm waiting for their
solution.

I could not easily describe the bug, so I've attached here an example
that will produce it. The result will be hang or GPF, depending on
linker.

The bug seems to occure when emptying a char field which is indexed
while we are at the first logical record of the table.

Bye.
        Vector

Here is the code:

REQUEST DBFCDX

DELETE FILE TEST_D.CDX
dbCreate("TEST_D", {{"TEST_F", "C", 1, 0 }}, "DBFCDX")

USE TEST_D VIA "DBFCDX"
APPEND BLANK
REPLACE TEST_F WITH "X"
APPEND BLANK
INDEX ON TEST_F TAG TEST_O TO TEST_D
GO 1
KEYBOARD Chr(32)+Chr(88)+Chr(32)+Chr(88)+Chr(32)
Browse()

Build it using these (nothing special):

clipper test
exospace fi test out test_exo lib dbfcdx
rtlink fi test out test_rtl lib dbfcdx
blinker fi test out test_blr lib dbfcdx
blinker fi test out test_blx lib dbfcdx search blxclp52 bli exe ext

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Victor, Szl

Software Developer, Szlvsz BT.
Budapest, Hungary

Phone/Fax/Modem: +36 (1) 200-5141

Thu, 14 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 SuccessWare SIX driver

how to upgrade SIxDriver  Version 2 to  Version 3,
where to get patch.exe
Thanks!

Tue, 19 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 SuccessWare SIX driver

Quote:
>What I like to know is whether there are any know bugs in the SIX driver
>which remained unfixed and there is no workaround ? I was told by a
>comp.lang.clipper personality that he reported a bug to Successware who
>flatly refuse to fix it !

Nonsense.  After over a year in the marketplace without a major bug, I
feel tyhat SIx 3 is finally bullet-proof.

Jeff Jochum
CEO SuccessWare

Tue, 19 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 SuccessWare SIX driver

Quote:

>>What I like to know is whether there are any know bugs in the SIX driver
>>which remained unfixed and there is no workaround ? I was told by a
>>comp.lang.clipper personality that he reported a bug to Successware who
>>flatly refuse to fix it !

>Nonsense.  After over a year in the marketplace without a major bug, I
>feel tyhat SIx 3 is finally bullet-proof.

Ditto Nonsense ..  I have the latest SIXCDX driver running with 5.2e,
and have SIXCDX INDEX LOCK errors and SIXCDX READ ERRORS happening
randomly on a 40 terminal Novell 3.11 server.   My problem is I cannot
reproduce it at will, or put any code into a test program to send to
your support desk.

I am ABSOLUTELY confident that the INDEX LOCK errors are an internal
problem with SIXCDX but cannot readily prove this;  having
corresponded with your support desk before; they have assured me that
unless I can give them a test program which exhibits the problem, the
problem doesn't exist.

Although I can see their point, it still doesn't change the fact that
there could well be a bug in SIX.

Besides, I don't know of any "BulletProof" software yet!

Bri.

Tue, 19 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 SuccessWare SIX driver

Quote:

>>how to upgrade SIxDriver  Version 2 to  Version 3,
>>where to get patch.exe
>>Thanks!

>patches for SIx are at www.gosware.com

Mr. Jeff
    No patches  at www.gosware.com
    It is a Demo Version,
    Who know Where to get Patch,Thanks!

Tue, 19 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 SuccessWare SIX driver

Quote:

patches for SIx are at www.gosware.com

Jeff

Tue, 19 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 SuccessWare SIX driver

Hi there Jeff,

<<Nonsense.  After over a year in the marketplace without a major bug, I
feel tyhat SIx 3 is finally bullet-proof. >>

I'm sure that I'll be able to shoot some holes in the disks with a
45 Magnum :)

Seriously though, without giving me one of your (great) salespitches,
what reasons are there to use Six+QueryOptimizer instead of Comix+Query
optimizer ? For as well 5.2 as 5.3.

Anne.

Tue, 19 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 SuccessWare SIX driver

Quote:

> Hi there Jeff,

> <<Nonsense.  After over a year in the marketplace without a major bug, I
> feel tyhat SIx 3 is finally bullet-proof. >>

> I'm sure that I'll be able to shoot some holes in the disks with a
> 45 Magnum :)

> Seriously though, without giving me one of your (great) salespitches,
> what reasons are there to use Six+QueryOptimizer instead of Comix+Query
> optimizer ? For as well 5.2 as 5.3.

> Anne.

None.

Boris

Wed, 20 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 SuccessWare SIX driver

Quote:

> >>how to upgrade SIxDriver  Version 2 to  Version 3,
> >>where to get patch.exe
> >>Thanks!

> >patches for SIx are at www.gosware.com

> Mr. Jeff
>     No patches  at www.gosware.com
>     It is a Demo Version,
>     Who know Where to get Patch,Thanks!

Version 3 is a paid upgrade.
No free patch available.
--
Andi Jahja
Jakarta, INDONESIA
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/4231/index.html

Wed, 20 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 SuccessWare SIX driver

Quote:

>Ditto Nonsense ..  I have the latest SIXCDX driver running with 5.2e,
>and have SIXCDX INDEX LOCK errors and SIXCDX READ ERRORS happening
>randomly on a 40 terminal Novell 3.11 server.   My problem is I cannot
>reproduce it at will, or put any code into a test program to send to
>your support desk.
>I am ABSOLUTELY confident that the INDEX LOCK errors are an internal
>problem with SIXCDX but cannot readily prove this;  having
>corresponded with your support desk before; they have assured me that
>unless I can give them a test program which exhibits the problem, the
>problem doesn't exist.
>Although I can see their point, it still doesn't change the fact that
>there could well be a bug in SIX.
>Besides, I don't know of any "BulletProof" software yet!
>Bri.

I am sorry you are experiencing some on-going problems with your
system, but please understand  that if we can't see it, it simply
isn't "real" to us.  I have absolutely no idea the environmental
circumstances encountered on your site or whether they are affecting
your application.

Further, why are you "ABSOLUTELY confident" that the problem arises
from SIx if you are not able to reproduce it?  No disrespect meant
here, but that would mean you've figured out how to "ABSOLUTELY"
diagnose a problem without understanding the source of it...

FTR, I agree that no software is ever _really_ "bulletproof" but
neither is it ever really finished.  I use the term not literally.

Jeff

Thu, 21 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 SuccessWare SIX driver

Quote:

>I'm sure that I'll be able to shoot some holes in the disks with a
>45 Magnum :)
>Seriously though, without giving me one of your (great) salespitches,
>what reasons are there to use Six+QueryOptimizer instead of Comix+Query
>optimizer ? For as well 5.2 as 5.3.
>Anne.

The short speech is its more robust and offers more features for your
cost.  Also, the migration path to Windows and Client/Server is
already proven and useable.

The easy answer is download the demo from www.gosware.com and see for
yourself.  Good luck.

Jeff

Thu, 21 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 SuccessWare SIX driver

Quote:

>I am sorry you are experiencing some on-going problems with your
>system, but please understand  that if we can't see it, it simply
>isn't "real" to us.  I have absolutely no idea the environmental
>circumstances encountered on your site or whether they are affecting
>your application.

That I can understand, but it doesn't detract from the fact that there
is a problem there.  The environment is absolutely nothing special, a
bog standard network setup with hard-diskless workstations, nothing
special, nothing unique a fairly off-the-shelf environment.

Quote:

>Further, why are you "ABSOLUTELY confident" that the problem arises
>from SIx if you are not able to reproduce it?  No disrespect meant
>here, but that would mean you've figured out how to "ABSOLUTELY"
>diagnose a problem without understanding the source of it...

OK, perhaps a bit unfair of me to use the word "ABSOLUTELY", and i'll
agree with you that I can't be ABSOLUTELY confident, but yes I am
confident that the problem lies within SIX.   (1) SIXCDX *IS*
Generating the errors ... OK, I will agree that it doesn't necessarily
follow that SIX is the cause of the error, but it's a jolly good place
to start looking.  (2) I converted the system to use COMIX instead of
SIX and none of these problems occured.  (3) I converted the system to
use Advantage (test), and none of these problems occured.  (4) SIXCDX
is the *ONLY* RDD and the *ONLY* 3rd party lib linked into the app
that will touch dabases and indices!

So although I cannot readily reproduce the problems, and cannot
readily provide successware with a test program that exhibits the
problem, I have a firm foundation to base my "assumption" (yes I know
its only an assumption) that the problem lies in the internals of SIX.

Now, Jeff, if Successware could provide me with a SIX3.LIB which has
debug info (line numbers etc), When these problems happen I use a part
of MrDebug, called MrDump, which allows me to dump the stack and other
environmental details to a log file ... if the SIX3 stuff had line
number information, this may help you to diagnose the problem ... this
is only theoretical though.

Quote:

>FTR, I agree that no software is ever _really_ "bulletproof" but
>neither is it ever really finished.  I use the term not literally.

I disagree, you used the term literally; implying that SIX was
bulletproof and 110% stable, i'm the one telling you it is not.

However, i'd like not to end on a negative note, I do believe that the
SIX product is excellent, very quick and apart from my problems it
does appear stable .... Oh nearly forgot, one more problem that I have
encountered several times now,  PACK  of a database with a memofield
in, can corrupt the FPT file, usually ending with an FPT file some 10
times larger than it was to start with .... this one, if i've got some
time, I should be able to build a test harness for you.

bri.

Fri, 22 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 22 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. ODBC driver for Successware Six Driver

2. SIx Driver (SuccessWare) VariField Technology (Shrinks Indexes/DBFs)

3. Newest version of SIX driver from Successware

4. Successware Six product

5. Ca Tools and Six Driver

6. SIx Driver RDD

7. wanted: DOS Clipper 5.2 SIX-RDD-driver (or serial)

8. Reindex with Six Driver

9. SIX Driver Set Scope

10. Comix or Six Driver ?

11. Clipper 5.2e and SIx Driver v3.00