HELP! NON-PROGRAMMER NEEDS HELP
Author Message
 HELP! NON-PROGRAMMER NEEDS HELP

My non-profit company had a database written for us by an independent
programmer.  He used Clipper 5.1.  At that time we had two computers
hooked up.  The programmer has left the area with no forwarding.  We now
have 5 units but can only access the program with two at a time.  We are
using Lantastic 6.0.  We get a dbf error message when a third unit tries
to access the database.  I'm hoping this is easy to remedy and that
someone can tell me an easy way to change this so all five units can
access over the network.  We have the source code files.  If someone can
tell me how to fix the problem I can adjust the source code and recompile
the program.  Thanks, in advance.  Please reply here or e-mail to

Tue, 14 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP! NON-PROGRAMMER NEEDS HELP

Quote:

> My non-profit company had a database written for us by an independent
> programmer.  He used Clipper 5.1.  At that time we had two computers
> hooked up.  The programmer has left the area with no forwarding.  We now
> have 5 units but can only access the program with two at a time.  We are
> using Lantastic 6.0.  We get a dbf error message when a third unit tries
> to access the database.

It would help a lot if you could say what the error message is. Like, is
it a dos error 4 you are getting? If so you probably don't have enough file
handles available at the server. I don't know Lantastic so I don't know if
this could be an issue, but I know it was a problem with some older
networks I used before most people got into using Netware.

--
+---------------------------+
| Dave Pearson              |

+---------------------------+

Wed, 15 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT

"Dprjay1" writes:

>> My non-profit company had a database written for us by an
independent
>> programmer.  He used Clipper 5.1.  At that time we had two computers
>> hooked up.  The programmer has left the area with no forwarding.  We
now
>> have 5 units but can only access the program with two at a time.  We
are
>> using Lantastic 6.0.  We get a dbf error message when a third unit
tries
>> to access the database.

>It would help a lot if you could say what the error message is. Like,
is
>it a dos error 4 you are getting? If so you probably don't have enough
file
>handles available at the server. I don't know Lantastic so I don't
know if
>this could be an issue, but I know it was a problem with some older
>networks I used before most people got into using Netware.

>--
>+---------------------------+
>| Dave Pearson              |

>+---------------------------+

It is true it will help to find out what is the error message. My
thought is the error message is from Clipper application. The
Programmer may have restricted the use of the application to 2 stations
only for some reason. So whenever a third workstation tried to access
it is disallowed.

I do not believe Lnatastic poses any restriction on the number of
stations unless the network modules on the new workstations are not set
up properly.

I would try the workstation setup if the error message is from the
operating system.

Thu, 16 Apr 1998 02:00:00 GMT
 HELP! NON-PROGRAMMER NEEDS HELP

Quote:

>"Dprjay1" writes:

>>> My non-profit company had a database written for us by an
>independent
>>> programmer.  He used Clipper 5.1.  At that time we had two computers
>>> hooked up.  The programmer has left the area with no forwarding.  We
>now
>>> have 5 units but can only access the program with two at a time.  We
>are
>>> using Lantastic 6.0.  We get a dbf error message when a third unit
>tries
>>> to access the database.

>>It would help a lot if you could say what the error message is. Like,
>is
>>it a dos error 4 you are getting? If so you probably don't have enough
>file
>>handles available at the server. I don't know Lantastic so I don't
>know if
>>this could be an issue, but I know it was a problem with some older
>>networks I used before most people got into using Netware.

>>--
>>+---------------------------+
>>| Dave Pearson              |

>>+---------------------------+
>It is true it will help to find out what is the error message. My
>thought is the error message is from Clipper application. The
>Programmer may have restricted the use of the application to 2 stations
>only for some reason. So whenever a third workstation tried to access
>it is disallowed.

>I do not believe Lnatastic poses any restriction on the number of
>stations unless the network modules on the new workstations are not set
>up properly.

>I would try the workstation setup if the error message is from the
>operating system.

I suspect the problem is from Lantastic, or DOS, WRT the number of files open.
 In Lantastic, you can change the server parameters to set the number of files
open, and this is probably your problem.  While the error comes from the
Clipper application, it is because more files can't be opened on the server.
I have seen this happen exactly as you have described, anyway, with that being
the problem.

It is unlikely, unless the programmer had some reason for restricting the
number of stations allowed, that Clipper is causing the error.  If you have
the source code it would not be difficult to determine this, because there
would have to be an external database to track logins.

Duncan

Wed, 20 May 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Non-programmer needs REXX DATE help

2. Non-programmer needs REXX DATE help

3. non-Prolog programmer needs help

4. Need help launching external non rexx command using VXREXX (VIO support needed) in OS/2

6. Need non-stop select help

7. Non-defense domains - need help with this list

8. I need help on Non-Advancing I/O, please

9. HELP - Need a non-linear solver / optimizer

10. HELP - Non-postscript documentation needed

11. Help needed from an Australian-based Clarion 2 for DOS programmer

12. Need Help!!! Very easy for a clarion programmer