Real mode & Protected mode - Why, when ?
Author Message
 Real mode & Protected mode - Why, when ?

Since I acquired Clipper 5.3, I have made some tests using Blinker and
Exospace.

What's the diferences ? When to use one or other ?
Application perfomance is increased  ?

Tia

Mon, 30 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Real mode & Protected mode - Why, when ?
It is much better to link your program into protected mode.

In that case, the program is run in the memory above 1 MB (extended memory).
A real mode program is run in the first 640 KB.

To run in protected mode, you need at least a 80386 PC with at least 2 MB of
memory.

I use Clipper 5.3b together with Blinker 5.1. But Blinker 4.1 is already
excellent.

Forget Exospace.

Michel Driessen - Genk (Belgium)

M&A Consult bvba - Genk (Belgium)

Quote:
>Since I acquired Clipper 5.3, I have made some tests using Blinker and
>Exospace.

>What's the diferences ? When to use one or other ?
>Application perfomance is increased  ?

>Tia

Mon, 30 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Real mode & Protected mode - Why, when ?

Quote:

>It is much better to link your program into protected mode.

>In that case, the program is run in the memory above 1 MB (extended memory).
>A real mode program is run in the first 640 KB.

Okay, which is better or safer or more compatible when running under
Win95/8?  I use the default (as near as I can tell) linker, exospace, but
occasionally lately I've had problems with the computer locking up.  Is
this a real versus protected mode thing?  Should I use blinker, or should
I pass some parameters to exospace (or blinker) to 'tell it' that it's
running under Win9x?  Just wondering. . . .

Thanks,

--
Kendall P. Bullen        Web: http://www.his.com/~kendall/
                   Comics FS: http://www.his.com/~kendall/comics.html

I get too much spam & UCE.  Please reconstruct my address if you
e-mail me.  But please NEVER send me COPIES of Usenet postings.

Wed, 01 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Real mode & Protected mode - Why, when ?
Kendall

What do you mean when you say 'computer locking up'??
What error number is returned??
What is the app doing at the point in time it locks up??
What version of the OS??
How much memory/disk??

Are you using Optedit on the compiled app??
Post a copy of the link script your using, maybe you have an incompatable
lib.

Blinker 5.1 is better by far than Exospace.

HTH
--
Steve Quinn
BRUTE Computer Services - Australia

Quote:

>>It is much better to link your program into protected mode.

>>In that case, the program is run in the memory above 1 MB (extended
memory).
>>A real mode program is run in the first 640 KB.

>Okay, which is better or safer or more compatible when running under
>Win95/8?  I use the default (as near as I can tell) linker, exospace, but
>occasionally lately I've had problems with the computer locking up.  Is
>this a real versus protected mode thing?  Should I use blinker, or should
>I pass some parameters to exospace (or blinker) to 'tell it' that it's
>running under Win9x?  Just wondering. . . .

>Thanks,

>--
>Kendall P. Bullen        Web: http://www.his.com/~kendall/
>                   Comics FS: http://www.his.com/~kendall/comics.html

>I get too much spam & UCE.  Please reconstruct my address if you
>e-mail me.  But please NEVER send me COPIES of Usenet postings.

Thu, 02 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Real mode & Protected mode - Why, when ?
Hiya Stephen (et al.),

Quote:

>What do you mean when you say 'computer locking up'??

The computer (including mouse, keyboard, etc.) freezes.  I have to hit the
reset button or cycle the power.

Quote:
>What is the app doing at the point in time it locks up??

A few things -- it's generally in a loop through all records, deleting
some here and there . . . sometimes it's packing the database.

Quote:
>What version of the OS??

Win98 (OEM-installed), connected to a Novell Netware (3.12) file server.

Quote:
>How much memory/disk??

128 megs of RAM, gigabytes worth of free disk space on the hard drive (and
at least 100 megs or so free on the network drive I'm using).

Quote:
>Are you using Optedit on the compiled app??

Yes, tho' I didn't used to use it.  I'm using in in an attempt to stop
some other errors (app crashing when indexing a database, don't have the
error msg from that handy).  Hmm, now that you mention it, I don't think
this happened before I started using optedit.  But the eery thing is that
sometimes doing the exact same sequence of stuff works fine -- sometimes
it freezes the computer.  If it were at least consistent, I'd get it. . .
. I should stop using optedit and see if it stops happening.  (Tho' since
it's not consistent, it may take days before I believe it's stopped. ;-)

Quote:
>Post a copy of the link script your using, maybe you have an incompatable
>lib.

>Blinker 5.1 is better by far than Exospace.

Is it as simple to use?  I.e., I just use the batch file in the clip53\bin
directory -- I'm guessing blinker is as simple, command-line-wise, as
exospace.

Thanks!
Kendall

--
Kendall P. Bullen        Web: http://www.his.com/~kendall/
                   Comics FS: http://www.his.com/~kendall/comics.html

I get too much spam & UCE.  Please reconstruct my address if you
e-mail me.  But please NEVER send me COPIES of Usenet postings.

Thu, 02 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Real mode & Protected mode - Why, when ?
Kendall

Quote:
>Is it as simple to use?  I.e., I just use the batch file in the clip53\bin
>directory -- I'm guessing blinker is as simple, command-line-wise, as
>exospace.

Simple enuff for you.<g>

You'l l need optedit to get around the memory problem in Clipper 5.3 when
indexing.

in to do its thing.

HTH
--
Steve Quinn
BRUTE Computer Services - Australia
http://www.brutecom.com.au

Fri, 03 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Real Mode vs. Protected Mode

2. Protected Mode / Real Address Mode

3. protected-mode and real-mode

4. Protected mode call in Real Mode

5. switching from protected mode to real mode

6. real mode vs protected mode

7. real mode or protected mode?

8. protected to real mode switch / also unreal mode

9. Segmented addressing real mode and protected mode

10. Protected mode memory access in real mode problem?

11. Flat real mode vs Protected mode

12. How to return from 386 protected mode to real-mode