It just exits
Author Message
 It just exits

To all:

My Blinker 3.3 linked Artful Gold, Six driver, and Clipper Tools III app
just exits.  Tried a ALTD() as the first line, it just exits. No
message, like the only instruction is jmp toExit.  No clues.  If anyone
has a similar experience let me know.  Thank  you.

John Wolter

Fri, 24 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 It just exits

Quote:

> To all:

> My Blinker 3.3 linked Artful Gold, Six driver, and Clipper Tools III app
> just exits.  Tried a ALTD() as the first line, it just exits. No
> message, like the only instruction is jmp toExit.  No clues.  If anyone
> has a similar experience let me know.  Thank  you.

Without more information it is hard to say what the problem is, but, on the
surface, this sounds like the classic "forgot to compile with the /n switch"
problem.

Take the following code, lets call it FOO.PRG:

  Function Main()

     ? "We were moving away from the border."

  Return( NIL )

if you were to compile it as:

  Clipper foo

and link it you'd get no output when you ran it because, by not using the /n
switch, you'd have created an implicit procedure called Foo() (to see why
consult your Clipper manuals). Now compile it again:

  Clipper foo /n

link it and run it. This time you'll get the output.

Check that and give it a go. If this isn't your problem then please give
more details and, if possible, try to create the smallest possible program
that displays this behavior and post the PRG along with the compile and link
commands you used.

--
Take a look in Hagbard's World: |     w3ng - The WWW Norton Guide reader.
http://www.acemake.com/hagbard/ |  ng2html - The NG to HTML converter.

Sat, 25 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 It just exits

John,

You are experiencing Clipper internal error 37. This error is a bug in
Clipper internal architecture, I discover that and I reported CA-Clipper
development team how to fix it. Clipper thinks it has reached its symbols
limit but it is wrong, it hasn't by far!

FiveWin fixes that Clipper bug. If you need the fix for your MsDos app
please contact me privately.

regards,

Antonio Linares
www.fivetech.com

Sat, 25 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 It just exits

John,

If you create several Clipper .clp files, you will be able to make it run
again. But internal error 37 will manifest again as soon as your app keeps
growing, unless you fix ie 37 definetively.

regards,

Antonio Linares
www.fivetech.com

Sat, 25 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 It just exits

To all:

This is an interesting result.  See below.  Below is my reply to EMail's
I received.  I will check other comments I have received from you and
others in this news group.  Thank you to all.

John Wolter

Alex:

You got it right, AMDBPOFF.SYS for the DOS session CONFIG.SYS let the
program run.  BP refers to branch prediction "feature" of the AMD K5
version 2 I am using.  Since, I am using OS/2 for a DOS development
platform I now am compelled to create an OS/2 version of all this.  If I
can do that I will make a point of posting it to the OASIS.

My work is not yet complete for the test I did not include the Artful
Gold library link.  Peter Brawley who orginally was one of the creators
of AG suggested further incompatibilities existed between AG's aaMouse
routines and CTUS(CTUSP protected mode too I assume) of Clipper Tools
III fame.  He suggested writing a set of non-action stubs to replace
calls to aaMouse.LIB.

I was just researching a mathematical basis for Object-Oriented
concepts, which I found some writtings to justify it so.  Those writings
also showed clearly that O-O & procedural code before O-O is just not
testable.  Procedural code was easy to test, i.e. Clipper, compared to
how testable(untestable) O-O is.  I have to note all the Clipper
libraries that were never quite right between each.  My conclusion this
week is we need a testable software language and development scheme.
Start with a white sheet of paper, throwout procedural & O-O!

John Wolter

Sat, 25 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 It just exits

Quote:
> My Blinker 3.3 linked Artful Gold, Six driver, and Clipper Tools III app
> just exits.

What kind of processor? You may need the R6003FIX.ZIP file from the
Oasis/Patches section of http://www.iag.net/~philb to correct a problem
with Tools III and fast non-Intel CPUs (and maybe also the Intel P-300
CPU). Normally it throws up an R6003 "divide by zero" error, but I've
seen some of the AMD processors just terminate the application.

Sat, 25 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 It just exits

Ray:

It was a combination of the infamous R6003 bug and an incompatibility
between CTUS(P) of Clipper Tools III and Artful Applications Gold.  The
R6003 problem has been patched with a new Intel Pentium 233-MXX.  The
Artful Applications Gold's aaMouse.LIB remains incompatible with Clipper
Tools III.  One suggestion to me from Peter Brawley who wrote Artful
Gold was to buy an upgrade or write my own null FUNCTION stubs to cause
no operation to be performed.

I am still left with the need to provide a universal patch to the R6003
problem.  It is not yet clear to me if that patch needs to happen at the
OS driver level or if a Clipper .OBJ could handle it.  My initial test
inside an OS/2 VDM(Virtual DOS Machine) is that it will have to be at
the OS driver level.  So, this implies that a patch would have to be
prepared for each major PC/MAC OS.

John Wolter

Mon, 27 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. want to tie the exit by windows, to the exit button in program

2. code to exit on Exit ?

3. Quit LabVIEW (Exit) stops program but doesn't exit

4. sys.exit() doesn't exit

5. how to exit from exit-onexit

6. exiting eval'ed script without exiting app

7. Why sys.exit does not exit ?

8. Exit tk application on Close Window (Exit on infinite loop)

9. expect doesn't exit exiting processes, help me

10. Is exit need? Which exit?

11. external lib call exits on error, which causes Labviews Solaris to exit completely.

12. why won't "exit" exit?!!