giant index files
Author Message
 giant index files

H i   t h e r e ,

someone told me that it is possible to create giant index files (i.e.
bigger than 64 MB) with a utility called "BroPlus" (written in
Clipper). I'm askig myself how they managed to do so. I've tried to
create an index file with a 12 byte key on a 1.6 GB-dbf-file that
contains about 6.8 Million records. I've tried to do so with "index
on..." and with the ordcreate()-function (Clipper 5.3, BLinker 3.3).
The program did not report any error. But every Index file was closed
at the same size (~ 64 MB) and was unusable, i.e. when I open my dbf
with that index, the dbf seems to be empty. Has anybody got an idea?
How can I (just as in "BroPlus") create 200 or 300 MB-Indexes that
work properly?

Thanx for your help!

U w e   B o u r d o n ,   G e r m a n y

Sat, 02 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 giant index files
I've only large indexes (a 980 MB CDX on a 1.5 GB DBF) with Clipper 5.3b and
Exospace, so I'm not sure what parts will be relevant to Clipper 5.3 and
Blinker 3.3, but here goes:

In my link script, I have the following:

   EXOSPACE EXECUTABLE CLIPPER //F:150 //CGACURS //VMSIZE:12288
   STACK 16000
   EXOSPACE PACKAGE DOS25

Terrible things happen with Clipper/Exospace in a NetWare environment
without the EXOSPACE PACKAGE DOS25. In the EXOSPACE EXECUTABLE CLIPPER, the
only parameter of importance is the //VMSIZE:12288. I use STACK 16000 to
overcome limitations that are inherent in using PROCEDURE DEPTH.

Then I run the executable through OPTEDIT with the following parameters:

   -EXTRAMIN 0x3000
   -INIT00
   -UMB
   -NOBANNER

The -EXTRAMIN 0x3000 (which reserves 12 MB) combined with the EXOSPACE
//VMSIZE:12288 and the -INIT00 are what first let me create immense indexes
using Clipper instead of resorting to an external program written in C using
CodeBase 5.1 to do the indexing.
--
David G. Holm, Managing Member
Joint Software Development L.L.C

Sat, 02 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 giant index files
We had the same problem 2 months ago. We've been building dbf like a joint
from many tables - final size of table was 4GB with over 3 million records
inside. Our table have over 200 fields and comix cdx index file has over 30
tags (quite a design?).

We used BroPlus for creating files up to 2GB which looks to me like a 16 bit
file size limit (http://www.extrasensory.com - free demo).
We finish the work with Advantage Database Architect - 32 bit dbf utility -
we created the file and the indexes with no problems - only thing -
reindexing took 48 hours on PIII 450MHz with 128MB of RAM and 6GB HDD on NT
4.0 workstation. Check it out at http://www.advantagedatabase.com it's
written in Delphi and it's free for download.
Later we've been using that big file with our xBase++ app. with no problem
at all.

Regards,

Dusan Simic
Project Manager
Data Technology Software Integration Ltd.
120 Eglinton Ave. E., Suite 300
Toronto, ON., M4P 1E2
Tel: 1.416.488.6151 Fax: 1-416-486-2169

<<<   ANTI-SPAM:  remove no~spam  >>>
<<<           from address to reply           >>>
Web: http://www.RadioBeacon.com

Quote:

>H i   t h e r e ,

>someone told me that it is possible to create giant index files (i.e.
>bigger than 64 MB) with a utility called "BroPlus" (written in
>Clipper). I'm askig myself how they managed to do so. I've tried to
>create an index file with a 12 byte key on a 1.6 GB-dbf-file that
>contains about 6.8 Million records. I've tried to do so with "index
>on..." and with the ordcreate()-function (Clipper 5.3, BLinker 3.3).
>The program did not report any error. But every Index file was closed
>at the same size (~ 64 MB) and was unusable, i.e. when I open my dbf
>with that index, the dbf seems to be empty. Has anybody got an idea?
>How can I (just as in "BroPlus") create 200 or 300 MB-Indexes that
>work properly?

>Thanx for your help!

>U w e   B o u r d o n ,   G e r m a n y

Sat, 02 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. CDX Index file bloats up but shrink after re-indexing

2. Update an INDEXED FILE using SEQ FILE

3. indexed file format and data files- for cobol compilers

4. One more "Giant Canvas" question

5. TCOM SLAYS GIANT

6. TCOM, THE LITTLE GIANT

7. clever lawyers, public-relations brainstorms and a giant corporation's ardor

8. clever lawyers, public-relations brainstorms and a giant corporation's ardor

9. Z-world Little Giant drivers

10. Scientists Stunned as Writer Evolves into Giant Fern 462

11. The 3-d sky: Giants!

12. join vs format for giant strings?