Breaking the Ctrl+C abort during startup??
Author Message
 Breaking the Ctrl+C abort during startup??

Does anybody knows a way to supress the Ctrl+C break during
initial Autoexec.Bat startup...

I need a very secure, and not easily breakable machine, and
a Ctrl+C during startup is potencial hole.

Or if anybody knows how to start only my prg on
a machine, and nothing else, please tell me...

Sat, 01 Feb 2003 06:14:51 GMT
 Breaking the Ctrl+C abort during startup??
Milika

Put a
    BREAK OFF
statement in config.sys

You can disable them in your app though.
    SETCANCEL( .F. )

--
Steve Quinn
BRUTE Computer Services - Australia

A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.
I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

Quote:
> Does anybody knows a way to supress the Ctrl+C break during
> initial Autoexec.Bat startup...

> I need a very secure, and not easily breakable machine, and
> a Ctrl+C during startup is potencial hole.

> Or if anybody knows how to start only my prg on
> a machine, and nothing else, please tell me...

Sat, 01 Feb 2003 07:41:30 GMT
 Breaking the Ctrl+C abort during startup??
Hi Milika

The way I found to do this was to write a TSR that is run with the INSTALL
command in CONFIG.SYS.  This TSR hooks into interrupts 09h (keyboard) and
1Bh (break) to achieve this.

I guess I code send you the source (MASM 6.0) and/or executable if you are
interested.  I also made it block Alt-C for good measure.

Regards, Jon

Quote:
> Does anybody knows a way to supress the Ctrl+C break during
> initial Autoexec.Bat startup...

> I need a very secure, and not easily breakable machine, and
> a Ctrl+C during startup is potencial hole.

> Or if anybody knows how to start only my prg on
> a machine, and nothing else, please tell me...

Sat, 01 Feb 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Breaking the Ctrl+C abort during startup??
On Tue, 15 Aug 2000 09:41:30 +1000, "Stephen Quinn"

Quote:

>Milika

>Put a
>    BREAK OFF
>statement in config.sys

Actually, the correct syntax is BREAK=OFF

Quote:

>You can disable them in your app though.
>    SETCANCEL( .F. )

>--
>Steve Quinn
>BRUTE Computer Services - Australia
>http://www.brutecom.com.au

>A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.
>I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

>> Does anybody knows a way to supress the Ctrl+C break during
>> initial Autoexec.Bat startup...

>> I need a very secure, and not easily breakable machine, and
>> a Ctrl+C during startup is potencial hole.

>> Or if anybody knows how to start only my prg on
>> a machine, and nothing else, please tell me...

--
Nick Ramsay
WitzEnd Computer Services UK

Sat, 01 Feb 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Breaking the Ctrl+C abort during startup??
Nick

The '=' was silent<g>

--
HTH
Steve Quinn

Sun, 02 Feb 2003 07:42:10 GMT
 Breaking the Ctrl+C abort during startup??
Try folder Guard at http://www.winability.com/home/

It might help.

Quote:

> Does anybody knows a way to supress the Ctrl+C break during
> initial Autoexec.Bat startup...

> I need a very secure, and not easily breakable machine, and
> a Ctrl+C during startup is potencial hole.

> Or if anybody knows how to start only my prg on
> a machine, and nothing else, please tell me...

Mon, 03 Feb 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Breaking the Ctrl+C abort during startup??

Modify this to suit your requirements and link in

Function __eCancel()
  // Replacement ALT+C function to trap ALT C calls.

  local lRemCancel  := SetCancel(.f.)
  local cTit        := "ALT+C quit program"

  if mes(.t., "You have attempted to quit the program by pressing ALT+C.| |"+;
            "This should not be done under normal circumstances, and should "+;
            "only be used as a last resort.| |"+;
            "Are you absolutely sure ?", 0, 0, -4, cTit)

      Close databases
      HardCommit()

      cls(7)

      quit

    else
      setcancel(lRemCancel)
    endif

  else
      quit
  endif
return .t.

--

Peter Kohler, Quick Software SA

  Try folder Guard at http://www.winability.com/home/

  It might help.

  > Does anybody knows a way to supress the Ctrl+C break during
  > initial Autoexec.Bat startup...
  >
  > I need a very secure, and not easily breakable machine, and
  > a Ctrl+C during startup is potencial hole.
  >
  > Or if anybody knows how to start only my prg on
  > a machine, and nothing else, please tell me...

Sun, 16 Feb 2003 13:48:14 GMT
 Breaking the Ctrl+C abort during startup??

Hi Peter

Milika's original question was how to block the Ctrl-C (and Ctrl-Break) during the boot-up process, i.e. when the AUTOEXEC.BAT is running, _before_ the Clipper app has loaded.  Still, it is interesting that you can replace the default Clipper Alt-C/Ctrl-Break handler, although I haven't tried your method.  I assume it is two underscores before the eCancel().  Generally, a leading underscore means that it is a system function that may change between versions of software.

Regards, Jon

  Modify this to suit your requirements and link in

  Function __eCancel()
    // Replacement ALT+C function to trap ALT C calls.

    local lRemCancel  := SetCancel(.f.)
    local cTit        := "ALT+C quit program"

    if mes(.t., "You have attempted to quit the program by pressing ALT+C.| |"+;
              "This should not be done under normal circumstances, and should "+;
              "only be used as a last resort.| |"+;
              "Are you absolutely sure ?", 0, 0, -4, cTit)

        Close databases
        HardCommit()

        cls(7)

        quit

      else
        setcancel(lRemCancel)
      endif

    else
        quit
    endif
  return .t.

  --

  Peter Kohler, Quick Software SA

    Try folder Guard at http://www.winability.com/home/

    It might help.

    > Does anybody knows a way to supress the Ctrl+C break during
    > initial Autoexec.Bat startup...
    >
    > I need a very secure, and not easily breakable machine, and
    > a Ctrl+C during startup is potencial hole.
    >
    > Or if anybody knows how to start only my prg on
    > a machine, and nothing else, please tell me...

Sun, 16 Feb 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Breaking the Ctrl+C abort during startup??

Yes that is a double leading underscore

--

Peter Kohler, Quick Software SA

  Hi Peter

  Milika's original question was how to block the Ctrl-C (and Ctrl-Break) during the boot-up process, i.e. when the AUTOEXEC.BAT is running, _before_ the Clipper app has loaded.  Still, it is interesting that you can replace the default Clipper Alt-C/Ctrl-Break handler, although I haven't tried your method.  I assume it is two underscores before the eCancel().  Generally, a leading underscore means that it is a system function that may change between versions of software.

  Regards, Jon

    Modify this to suit your requirements and link in

    Function __eCancel()
      // Replacement ALT+C function to trap ALT C calls.

      local lRemCancel  := SetCancel(.f.)
      local cTit        := "ALT+C quit program"

      if mes(.t., "You have attempted to quit the program by pressing ALT+C.| |"+;
                "This should not be done under normal circumstances, and should "+;
                "only be used as a last resort.| |"+;
                "Are you absolutely sure ?", 0, 0, -4, cTit)

          Close databases
          HardCommit()

          cls(7)

          quit

        else
          setcancel(lRemCancel)
        endif

      else
          quit
      endif
    return .t.

    --

    Peter Kohler, Quick Software SA

      Try folder Guard at http://www.winability.com/home/

      It might help.

      > Does anybody knows a way to supress the Ctrl+C break during
      > initial Autoexec.Bat startup...
      >
      > I need a very secure, and not easily breakable machine, and
      > a Ctrl+C during startup is potencial hole.
      >
      > Or if anybody knows how to start only my prg on
      > a machine, and nothing else, please tell me...

Mon, 17 Feb 2003 23:10:15 GMT

1. TSR to stop CTRL-C and CTRL-Break

2. Ctrl-C and Ctrl-break

3. TSR to stop CTRL-C and CTRL-Break

4. sending ctrl-break signal or ctrl-c

5. Abort ftp::Get during the transfer

6. compiler/linker flags to abort array assignment (non-standard) use during run time

7. Abort Tcl script during execution

8. Ctrl Brk checking during disk writes

9. Diasable Ctrl-c & Ctrl-Break & Ctrl-Alt-Del(ete)

10. How to disable Ctrl-Break & Ctrl-C & Ctrl-Alt-Del

11. Lack of error messages during Tk startup - why?

12. Running tclsh during WinXP startup?