Clipper 5.2e, Windows Milenium and windows 2000
Author Message
 Clipper 5.2e, Windows Milenium and windows 2000

Hi,
Some years ago, I wrote and compiled an programm using clipper 5.2E
It runs very, untill...
1) I need to have 75 open file-handles, which was done by the
config.sys-command FILES=99
Now, under Windows Mellenium, Windows 2000 this command isn't
suported.  What must I do
2) I can no more compile my program, neighter Windows Melenium or
Windows 2000.
3) What can I do, to move as quick as possible to a Windows-alike gui
?  I have at least 3 milions of codes te rewrite.  Is this really
necessary ?
4) I use dos-print-commands.  How must I replace them ?

I'm using:   Clipper 5.2e
             Blinker 4.0
             CATOOLS-routines

I would very, very must obliged, if someone could give me an answer.
By the way, I now use delphi 5.0 for pure new applications.  Is there
some opening in that direction ?

Thu, 08 Apr 2004 16:27:10 GMT
 Clipper 5.2e, Windows Milenium and windows 2000
You need to use system.ini to set the files for WinMe.
Microsoft got a KB on it (forgot the number...)

in SYSTEM.INI

[386Enh]
PerVmFiles=255

Quote:

> Hi,
> Some years ago, I wrote and compiled an programm using clipper 5.2E
> It runs very, untill...
> 1) I need to have 75 open file-handles, which was done by the
> config.sys-command FILES=99
> Now, under Windows Mellenium, Windows 2000 this command isn't
> suported.  What must I do

Thu, 08 Apr 2004 18:28:38 GMT
 Clipper 5.2e, Windows Milenium and windows 2000
Quote:
> 1) I need to have 75 open file-handles, which was done by the
> config.sys-command FILES=99
> Now, under Windows Mellenium, Windows 2000 this command isn't
> suported.  What must I do

Under Win2000, you'll have to modify the following files:
c:\winnt\system32\autoexec.nt
c:\winnt\system32\config.nt
Win2000 no longer use autoexec.bat & config.sys.  But before you do,
you may want to copy these files to another area, play around with the
copy, then create a pif file that will use them.  I tend to leave the
original ones as is.

Quote:
> 2) I can no more compile my program, neighter Windows Melenium or
> Windows 2000.

Again, you'll have to play with the autoexec.nt and config.nt files.

Quote:
> 3) What can I do, to move as quick as possible to a Windows-alike gui

This decision is subjective.  Since you're already a Delphi developer,
why not use Delphi?

Quote:
> ?  I have at least 3 milions of codes te rewrite.  Is this really
> necessary ?

Your decision.

Quote:
> 4) I use dos-print-commands.  How must I replace them ?

We're still experimenting with that.

Quote:
> I'm using:   Clipper 5.2e
>              Blinker 4.0
>              CATOOLS-routines

We're using: Clipper 5.2e
             FlexFile II
             Exospace 1.0g (planning to move to Blinker 6)
             Advantage Database Server for large offices

Quote:
> I would very, very must obliged, if someone could give me an answer.
> By the way, I now use Delphi 5.0 for pure new applications.  Is there
> some opening in that direction ?

The choice is yours.

Fri, 09 Apr 2004 04:01:57 GMT
 Clipper 5.2e, Windows Milenium and windows 2000

For W2K, you need to use a config.nt.  It is a little too complicated to
explain here, but if you go to the W2K desktop, hit F1 (for help), go to
the "Index" tab.  In the keyword box, type config.nt and read that
stuff.  It really isn't too hard.  This allows you to create a
custominzed config.sys for that dos-based applicaiton.  If you follow the
directions, you will be creating a DOS environment for that app which is
different from the W2K system default.

-jim masucci

Quote:

> Hi,
> Some years ago, I wrote and compiled an programm using clipper 5.2E
> It runs very, untill...
> 1) I need to have 75 open file-handles, which was done by the
> config.sys-command FILES=99
> Now, under Windows Mellenium, Windows 2000 this command isn't
> suported.  What must I do
> 2) I can no more compile my program, neighter Windows Melenium or
> Windows 2000.
> 3) What can I do, to move as quick as possible to a Windows-alike gui
> ?  I have at least 3 milions of codes te rewrite.  Is this really
> necessary ?
> 4) I use dos-print-commands.  How must I replace them ?

> I'm using:   Clipper 5.2e
>              Blinker 4.0
>              CATOOLS-routines

> I would very, very must obliged, if someone could give me an answer.
> By the way, I now use Delphi 5.0 for pure new applications.  Is there
> some opening in that direction ?

Sun, 11 Apr 2004 09:58:40 GMT

1. Clipper 5.2e Hangs in Windows 2000 using P4 above 2.4 Ghz

2. help re- windows 2000 and clipper 5.2e

3. diacritic-problem running Clipper 5.2e-app under Windows 2000

4. Cliper 5.2e - Windows 2000

5. Interrupt 2E in windows 2000 pro SP1

6. Clipper 52 and Windows 2000 help

7. Data Corruption in Clipper & Windows 2000

8. Clipper/DOS Print in Windows 2000?

9. Clipper Processor hogging on Windows NT and 2000

10. Windows 2000 with Clipper 5.3 and LightLib

11. Windows 2000 and Clipper DOS Screen Formatting

12. Clipper & Windows-2000