TBrowse
Author Message
 TBrowse

Does anyone know how to change the Refresh rate with the TBROWSE object?
Also, how do you get
past the TBROWSE limit?  We have a large (many column) database at work that
TBROWSE bombs on.

We use a program called XDot and this program can handle it somehow, and we
cannot figure this out....

Thanks in advance.

Sat, 25 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 TBrowse

There's example code on the OASIS about how to browse large (lots of
fields) databases.

Basically as you scroll sideways (right) you drop columns from the left and
add new ones on the end and if you scroll left you do the reverse.

HTH
--
Steve Quinn
BRUTE Computer Services - Australia

http://www.brutecom.com.au

Quote:
> Does anyone know how to change the Refresh rate with the TBROWSE object?
> Also, how do you get
> past the TBROWSE limit?  We have a large (many column) database at work
that
> TBROWSE bombs on.

> We use a program called XDot and this program can handle it somehow, and
we
> cannot figure this out....

> Thanks in advance.

Sun, 26 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 TBrowse

Quote:

> > Does anyone know how to change the Refresh rate with the TBROWSE
object?
> > Also, how do you get
> > past the TBROWSE limit?  We have a large (many column) database at work
that
> > TBROWSE bombs on.

<SNIP...>

Quote:
> While refreshing seems desirable, you might want to take a look at the
> context.  Sometimes it can be confusing for the user, especially if the
data
> in the table is highly transient.  And, you have to be sure your TBrowse
> routine will handle all situations, like one user deleting what is the
first
> record in the browse of another user and that second user not get an
error or
> a weird view -- this can get a bit complex, especially if you have scoped
> browses.

It would be great to have a refresh only when necessary, I mean when data
has changed. I was thinking about a kind of semaphore :
refresh.dbf
fields : USER    (C 10)
           STATE  (C 100)

"define SEPAR               "_"
#define TBROWSE1         "1"
#define ANOTHER_ONE      "2"

When a user modify the data wich is under the Tbrowse 1, he'll put in every
record (with a DBEVAL or a for loop) :

if ! ( TBROWSE1 $ field->state)
   replace field->state with trim(field->state) + SEPAR  + TBROWSE1
endif

Then every user can have a look in "his" record (created when loggin in) if
the tBrowse is to refresh. Something like that :

select refresh
if dbseek( cMyName )    // refresh.dbf indexed on USER

   if TBROWSE1 $ field->state        // "Semaphore" exists : refresh !
       // Delete this tbrowse "semaphore" from this user record
       replace field->state with strtran( field->state, SEPAR  + TBROWSE1)

      < REFRESH THE tBrowse1 >
   endif

else    // The user-record doesn't exist yet : create it
   append blank
   replace user with cMyName
    < REFRESH THE tBrowse1 >
endif

On loggout, delete this record.
If all records are deleted (last user), ZAP refresh.dbf (for not let it
growing to much)

Well, it is just an idea, I was thinking about that few days ago.
Other advices will be welcome !

Quote:

> I usually only refresh browses that I use as tools and leave the users'
> browses without refreshes.  I also have refresh keystrokes, but I haven't
> implemented those for users, so I don't know how well they'd use and
> understand that concept.

I don't agree, since windoze has this concept in his file-manager /
explorer (F5). I even use myself F5 for refresh tbrowse, for similarity
with windoze :-(

Quote:

> HTH
> Richard Mitchell

 Regards
Sebastien

Mon, 04 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Tbrowse help needed - tbrowse [1/1]

2. Green Bar effect using TBrowse() or custom function?

3. TBrowse & Mouse

4. TBrowse within a READ GETS?

5. Tbrowse with rows in different colors

6. TBrowse - Stabilizing the database row with Browse:rowpos.

7. Displaying the contents of 2 files via relation in TBrowse

8. TBrowse error 31 in obj:stabilize()

9. TBrowse() help

10. Get within TBrowse

11. Formatting a field for TBrowse

12. Strange TBrowse error message (5.3b)